*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1298162-I-Lost-Someone
Rated: E · Documentary · Other · #1298162
I wrote this the day I found out my aunt has passed away.
I Lost Someone

H. Nameer



On December 3rd, 2006, I lost someone. Someone very special to me. Someone whom I consider a second mother to me. On that tragic day, I lost my aunt, Fa2eza. She was very dear to me, despite the fact that I haven't seen her for over 8 years. But, I remember her quite well, as if it was yesterday when I left Iraq. In the midst of many people who wanted to pay farewell, she sat still, a lit cigarette in her hand. While that cigarette shouldn't have existed in the picture, it was simply a symbolic representation of her depression and deep misery.

I look back at all these years that my family and I spent with my aunt, and I can't help but to cry. But, that's okay. When I cry, I am not revealing a weak side, but I am mourning over the death of a great woman, whom I idolize.

On September 9, 1987, I was born, and she was there, in the hospital to support my mother and await my birth. When I opened my eyes for the very first time, she was one of the people who stood across of me. However, I couldn't identify her, for we hadn't met yet. But we met, and we got to know each other, and she introduced herself to me, and I as well. Until we became close-- an aunt--a nephew.

In preparation for my birth, she knitted baby clothes for me, even though they didn't fit because I was big baby, and her estimations were flawed. And on the day of my birth, she announced my birth to my father, who stood outside the Operations Room waiting anxiously.

She wasn't just an aunt, she was like my mother, who loved and cared for me. I, too, returned the love and care. She is a woman I will never forget.

Though she passed away, I still wish I could rewind back to the past to the very first day when she held death in her hand-- the cigarette which led to the fatal addiction.

I want to tell the whole world that she was the greatest aunt-- someone I will always remember with pride.

Interestingly, Fa2eza (her Arab name) -- literarily means winner. What a great name! For me, my aunt is a winner, even though she died, she is a winner in the afterlife.

Rest in Peace, and May Allah have Mercy on Your Magnificent Soul....






© Copyright 2007 hnameer (hnameer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1298162-I-Lost-Someone