*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1298716-Birth
by Carl S
Rated: ASR · Non-fiction · Experience · #1298716
The day my second daughter was born.
My girlfriend was very pregnant. Her green tanktop could barely fit over her tummy, but I thought it was very beautiful. It was May 1, 2007 and Maria was way overdue. She was due on April 19th.

The doctor enduced my girlfriend that morning. After popping her water, it only took fifteen minutes for her labour to begin. I will never forget the painful moan she let out as she had her first contraction. I felt so helpless, like I wanted her pain to end. Yet, there was nothing I could do but let her hurt my hand. It was a very long wait, as her cervix was stuck at 3 cm for around eight hours. She had the urge to push, as the pain was unbearable. She had decided on her own to do a natural childbirth. I tried to talk her into getting some meds to ease the pain. Maria was a trooper, as the labour progressed.

Finally, in less then an hour Maria was fully dialated. She began to push at midnight, and that's when I began to panic. The doctor was called in, and Maria pushed for around another hour. I would occasionally take a peak down, but my head was spinning. That was crazy, yet beautiful. Finally, after pushing for what seemed to be an eternity, Maria had the baby's head out. The doctor told me to look, as Maria gave one final push. She bravely brought our baby into the world. It was very "graphic" yet there was a beauty to it. Maria was fine, and our baby was finally here.

I cut the chord, and looked at my perfect child for the first time. We had a baby girl, we named her Alexandra Belle. We counted her fingers and toes, and saw her dimples as she cried. She is perfect in every way. She was eight pounds even, and twenty inches long. She has the biggest, bluest eyes I have ever seen. I was stunned, when she smiled only after being born for only a few days. Ally is my angel, and so is Maria. I was once a father before, but sadly I was unable to attend my other daughter's birth because of an illness I had. I now have a much broader respect for women and what they endure to bring a child onto this planet. I am the happiest man in the world. My daughter is healthy, and thats all I could have asked for.
© Copyright 2007 Carl S (abbysdaddy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1298716-Birth