*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1304768-The-life-of-a-beggar
Rated: E · Short Story · Emotional · #1304768
An encounter with a beggar
          It was the month of monsoon and I was passing through the streets of Boston at 7’o clock. The Street was full of people in a hurry since it had been drizzling. The city turned dark and moon appeared out of nowhere. The street was glowing with the lights from the shops and street lamps. Though it was me walking alone, I felt it as two with my soul and spirit.

          After my work in office at 6’o clock in the evening, I was returning home passing through the streets of Boston. It was the same time and same place and street were I usually walked, but this day had something different to say. This is not      philosophy but something which is true and strange a person could ever expect. I never knew that passing through the streets of Boston will bring me near to the strange thing waiting for me.

          I came near a street named St.Louis. This was where the surprise was hiding. A boy of age ten or so, passed me, went across an elderly person, and begged him for money so that he could have his night meal, a stomach full meal actually. However, the elderly person pushed him off like an insect.

                  I felt bad for the boy but what could I do, I was helpless. I had to ignore the boy since I had to reach my home. Later after few a steps, the boy came deliberately towards me, caught my hand tightly, and begged  for food.


” SIR, PLEASE SIR", he begged " GIVE ME SOME FOOD, I DO NOT WANT MONEY. YOU JUST BUY ME FOOD. YOU JUST COME WITH ME TO THAT HOTEL”

                    Then he showed me a hotel which was at the end of the street of St.Louis. However, I had no money to give him because the money, which was with me, was for my daughter Katharine's medicine.

                  I said no to the boy. I told him that I do not have money to buy him food. Even then, he did not listen to me. He kept on begging  for food. I had nothing to give him. With a hardened heart, I advised him to ask someone else for food. And for that        I got a strange reply.

  “SIR, IF YOU DO NOT GIVE ME MONEY, I WILL COUNT TILL TEN AND THEN I WILL BITE YOU”. 

      And as if that's not enough, he started counting the numbers. I wondered how a person could get so mad. But the present situation gave me answer for the question. That the boy was helpless. Had it been that he had asked politely, no one would bother him. By the time I could even think of something, the boy shouted nine aloud.


“SIR, IT IS NINE. SIR, IF I BITE ONCE I WILL NOT LEAVE AGAIN”.

                      From what I could see, he had sharp teeth.  And he said ten and came to bite me, but luckily I pulled my hand back. Then he said that he would catch my leg until I give him money or buy him food to eat.

                      However my answer was no, later after few minutes he left me and ran to wards the hotel which was at the end of the street. Without wasting my time. I crossed the road and ran towards the road's end. However, from as far as I could see the boy he was sitting in front of the hotel Venue, waiting for someone who could give him food to eat.

                          I was thoughtless for few moments; I passed the street many times before but never met this boy. This was strange for me. First I thought of blaming the parents that when they cannot bring up the child, why do they give birth?  However later on I saw the question from the other side that perhaps the reason for the child's birth might have been money.

            From that moment or day, i never saw him again; I think the life of a beggar means moving from place to place.
                                                                                                                            This part of story will always be in my heart.


  About the story: - this story is based on real life experiences of the author William Wilson. In the story he explains about a beggar to whom he met accidentally on the streets of Boston. In addition, he learns a lesson about the beggar’s life which he as mentioned in the above story
© Copyright 2007 william wilson (viveka at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1304768-The-life-of-a-beggar