*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1307143-The-Carousel
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Drama · #1307143
Girl wanting to change

She was a young girl, all she ever wanted was to ride the carousel. Her mom would say she was not old enough or smart enough to go to the carnival by herself, and mother certainly was not going to take her. Mother had her own ideas and some were very sad, like these places are the work of the devil no one should go near these or they would be punished by the almighty. Mother never went outside of the house never, she would even have the groceries delivered for every thing out side was evil.

We will call this girl Norma. Norma was not at all like mother, Norma had a curious soul to her and knew that out in the world there were good things too. Norma had always known that something was wrong but what could she do it was her mother you know. She was only allowed outside to go to school, never could she bring a friend home never. Somehow she knew she would someday upset her mother and was not that far away. She was to turn sixteen soon and then she would sneak out if be to see the carousel.

The day came and she was now sixteen and it was summer and the carnival would be here tomorrow. She could feel herself tingle with anticapation of the carnival. She went to sleep that night but was awake at least three times before morning. could she go against her mothers wishes thoughts raced through her mind , yes she must she has to be able to live and experience these things her mother kept her from. She knew it was her time now.

The carnival arrived in town that morning, it was not that far from her house. She told her self it would be worth any punishment she might get just to ride the carousel just once in her life. She would wait for mother to go to sleep as she always went to sleep early. Norma waited and when mother was asleep she very quietly opened the door to the outside world, she gasped as she had never gone outside at night. She looked up and saw the stars, the fresh night air and she just swung herself in a circle while looking up. Now she could here the music from the rides and she started down the street. She saw the lights from the rides the noise from the people and the closer she got the more excited she bcame.

Finally she was here and she looked around to see where the carousel was. Ahh she found it and asked the man how many tickets she could buy with her money. The man looked down and saw she did not have nearly enough for even one ticket. But the look on her face made him melt as he had never seen someone with such awe in their face. The man said well young lady you are in luck you get three rides for the price of one, Norma jumped up and down her waves in her hair bouncing. The man let her through and she found the most beautiful pink and white horse to ride. It went round and she went up and down with the biggest smile you can ever imagine.

She had her three rides and said thank you to the man at the gate and started her way home. She was so happy that she forgot all about her mother, till she got home, yes mother must have known for she was waiting for Norma as she came through the door. Mother let me explain, her mother said there is nothing to explain and she had tears in her eyes. Norma asked why are you crying, the mother said because you were brave enough to take the chance that I never could, You are not like me you are your own and you are beautiful, and I never want you to suffer the way I have. Did you have a good time, and they sat down while Norma told her of her trip to the carnival. She took a chance and it ended up to be the right one. She would be okay now as she knew she would never be like her mother. And she knew she would always take care of her mother in the end. The love between mother and daughter is never ending!

By Darrilyn
© Copyright 2007 Darrilyn Mystery (drriyn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1307143-The-Carousel