*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1306665-Things-that-go-bump-in-the-nigh
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Ghost · #1306665
Short imaninary ghost story
This was one of her dreams, to live in the coutry with enough room for the children to run and play safely. She moved to a nice little farm house on a back road with ample room for everything. It had two baths, 3 bedrooms, a great kitchen, and a barn to store stuff. The kids were not to happy about it as the nearest store was a mile away, they were use to city living. She set about choosing chores for the children and life went well for a couple months.


There was always an uneasy feeling in the house, like you were not alone, she didn't like the upstairs bathroom. Whenever she used it she would literally get chills through her body! But as time past she just dismissed it, and little by little life was getting better. One night she was reading a book , the cat and dog were in her room and she was cozy under the covers as it was now fall. All of a sudden she heard what sounded like someone running down the stairs. Now the dog and cat both looked but did not budge or make a sound just sat with their ears perked up. She decided to go see if one of the children were awake , their bedroom was down stairs. So up she got and went to look ,both were fast asleep. Hmmm, well maybe it was the wind playing tricks. So up to bed she went and got snuggled under the covers and fell asleep.


The next day she asked the children if they had heard anything and they said no. So after breakfast came dishes and laundry, and then a cup of tea to rest up with. The day went by as usual and they stacked the firewood for winter and then went in to eat dinner. She had a routine by now and was happy with her life except, the noises in the night. She got the children settled and tucked in and went upstairs to her room, she would read some more. Well right in the middle of reading came the running sound again , she called out to the children and nothing, no barking dog nothing. So she went to sleep, but the next day she was set on finding out the background on the house.


She went to town children in tow and asked some of the people from town what they knew about her house. Several stories were told to her but one sounded right. She was not afraid of what it was it was just annoying. Everynight for months this kept up, and finally she decided to talk to who she thought it to be. So she talked to what she believed to be a little girl who had been killed in a fire back in the button up shoe days. When ever she heard the running she would say I need my rest can you come back some other time, and it would stop. She felt sorry for the child who seemed lost! Time pasted and circumstances happened to where she had to move out and back to the city. She felt sad that she would not have the old bay windows for her plants or her garden in the summer, but that was life.


She moved back to the city , and every so often she would visit the house as she knew the person who bought it. It was nice being able to visit. On one of her visits she dared to ask the new owner if they ever heard noises in the house. She was hoping they did not think she was crazy. The owner smiled and said yes, but it is not harmful whomever it is. Whew, so she knew she was not the only one to here it, she was so relieved. She thanked them for being honest with her, and no problem as they to had looked up the history on the house prior to buying it. She finished her tea gathered the children playing outside and headed home. As she drove home she smiled and was lost in thought, She was happy the little girl would not be alone in that big old farm house. Cause things do go bump in the night!


By Darrilyn




© Copyright 2007 Darrilyn Mystery (drriyn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1306665-Things-that-go-bump-in-the-nigh