*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1307393-Do-You-Know-Poetic-Form-and-Rule
by iQuill
Rated: E · Other · Educational · #1307393
The difference between an expert and one who is not is...the expert reads more!
After reading many of the poems on Writing.Com, experiencing the review process from both sides, I have noticed a thread of confusion when it comes to poetic rule and style. I have read reviews where the reviewer knocked Free Verse because it did not follow rules. I have found and others being praised when they are inconsistent mechanically for the form of poem they proclaim to be. Hmmmmmm.

As a reviewer, I should know what it is I am reviewing. That is, the type of poetic form I am reviewing. How can I do justice via review, to the work and its author, if I am ill equipped? A Paper Tiger! We should demand and strive for perfection of review.

Likewise an author. If my poem proclaims to follow the rules of, say, of a Sonnet, and it does not...I bruise my own eye.

To clarify the various forms and rules, I compiled the following information from, and validated it against, several Internet sources like pbs.org, poets.org and cite them as a source for the content herein, along with my own experience and training. Understand this is not all inclusive. Hopefully, with the understanding of the various types of poetic forms we will become better reviewers and authors.

Form is the framework of a poem. But what holds the poem together? This item takes a look at this as well.

Below are the various types of poetic styles (forms).

Acrostic - is a form of poetry where the first letter of each line, when read vertically, spells out a word; which is usually the subject of the poem.

Blank Verse is an Italian form where the poem is comprised of unrhymed lines, all in the same meter; usually iambic pentameter. The iambic pentamemeter is usually the predominant foot and is composed of any meter and any amount of line length (feet). Along with the iamb are 3 other feet (there are variations to this style):

S = stressed
U = unstressed

First Line (Iamb) - two syllables, U-S.

"today"

Second Line (Trochee) - two syllables, S-U.

"standard"

Third Line (Anapest) - three syllables, U-U-S.

"disengage"

Fourth Line (Dactyl) - three syllables, S-U-U.

"probably"


Cinquain - is a form consisting of five lines; where each has a required number of syllables, and a specific topic.

First Line : The title (noun) (2 syllables)
Second Line: The description (4 syllables)
Third Line : The action (6 syllables)
Fourth Line: The feeling (phrase) (8 syllables)
Fifth Line : The title (synonym) (2 syllables)

Couplet - is a form consisting of two lines with a simple rhyming pattern. Each line has the same meter and their endings rhyme with one another.

Diamonte - is a form that uses seven lines, written using parts of speech. It is like a Cinquain. It forms a visible diamond image.

First Line : Noun (topic)
Second Line : Two Adjectives
Third Line : Three 'ing' words
Fourth Line : Four words about the topic
Fifth Line : Three 'ing words
Sixth Line : Two adjectives
Seventh Line : Synonym of the topic

Free Verse - is a form that is NOT bound to rules of form, rhyme, rhythm, or meter. Very liberating! Don't like the rules for poetry? Declare "poetic license" and go with your OWN flow.

Haiku - is a form of Japanese poetry that does not rhyme. Haiku has three lines with a fixed number of syllables (not words):

First Line - 5 syllables
Second Line - 7 syllables
Third Line - 5 syllables

Limerick - is a playfum form with five lines. Lines one, two, and five rhyme with each other and lines three and four rhyme with each other. A rhyming pattern: 11221 or AABBA, or BBCCB.

Narrative - is a form that tells a story, usually long. Ballads and Epics fall into this form.

Proverb - is a form noted for its shortness. Proverbs use typical devices associated with poetry- rhyme, rhythm, and metaphors; a moral lesson to be tought through vivid imagery.

Rap - is a form of spoken-word rythem and rhyme expression to beat of music.

Shape or Concrete - is a form where the words form a visible shape when looked at. The image or shape usually depicts the topic of the work.

Sonnet - is a form of 14 lines that begin with three quatrains and end with a couplet. The couplet usually contains a surprise ending or "turn." When you think of sonnets, Shakespeare should come to mind.

Tanka - is a Japanese form that is focused on the number of lines and syllables/line rather than rhyme; akin its sister style of Haiku:

First Line : 5 syllables
Second Line : 7 syllables
Third Line : 5 syllables
Fourth Line : 7 syllables
Fifth Line : 7 syllables, rhymes with fourth line.

Quatrain - is a rhyming form of four lines where the Poet uses letters to express the rhyming pattern or scheme. The four types of quatrains are:

AABB
ABAB
ABBA
ABCB
© Copyright 2007 iQuill (iquill at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1307393-Do-You-Know-Poetic-Form-and-Rule