*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1307395-Do-Recognize-Poetic-Device
by iQuill
Rated: E · Other · Educational · #1307395
The difference between an expert and one who is not is...the expert reads more
In "Do You Know Poetry Form & Rule?" I commented about the various poetic forms. I left out "Poetic Device" there, to address it here, separately. As always, I have verified this against several Internet sources like pbs.org, poet.org, and cite them as a source, along with my own experience and training.

Poetic devices are tools the poet uses to construct his or her work. Like constructing a house, one not only uses nails, but screws, plaster, paint, bolts, nuts, lags, hinges...well, you get the idea.

This too with writing. To recognize the framework (form) and the glue (devices) that are used to hold a poem together, that which makes it unique, that which provides it beauty, or presents itself like a distinct aged fruity wine, one must develop a trained eye. This item examines poetic frameworks or styles and is not all inclusive:

The question is then, do you recognize the glue when you see it?

Simile - a figure of speech that compares two unlike things, using the words "like" or "as".

"His head was as big as a planet."

Alliteration - is the repetition of consonant sounds at the beginning of words. Peter Piper is one the most famous alliterations:

"Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers."

Metaphor - is a figure of speech that compares two unlike things directly. Unlike a similie. Nixed are the use of "like" or "as".

"Her skin is satin."

Personification - is the assignment of human qualities to non-human things.

"The feather laughed at the wind."

Onomatopoeia - are words that imitate sounds.

"Thump. Bang. Shlump."

Hyperbole - is an expression of exaggeration.

"I nearly lost my head turning it so fast."

Symbolism - is using an object to represent an idea.

"I am a Lion among bigger Lions."

Pun - is a word with a double meaning, a "play on words."

"Our vacation was a last resort."

Idiom - is an expression that has a meaning apart from the meanings of the individual words.

"It's raining cats and dogs."

Foot - is the time period into which the beat of the poetic line is divided. A foot is made up of several syllables, long and short.

Meter - refers to how the feet are put together to form lines of poetry. Combinations of long and short syllables bestow a musical feel to the poem.

Iamb - refers to a metrical foot consisting of one short syllable followed by one long syllable. Or one unstressed syllable followed by one stressed syllable.

Pentameter - refers to a line of verse consisting of five metrical feet.

Rhythm - is the pattern of long and short syllables in a poetic line. In modern poetry, some words receive greater vocal emphasis than others.

Lyrics - are what poets write, the actual words used to form the framework of rhythm and meter.

Mood - is the overall feeling the poem creates. Mood, or tone, for example, can be bitter, happy, loving, or war-like.
© Copyright 2007 iQuill (iquill at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1307395-Do-Recognize-Poetic-Device