*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1308618-Bridges-Need-Immediate-Repair
Rated: · Article · Transportation · #1308618
756 bridges like the bridge in Minneapolis, Minnesota should be repaired immediately
On that Wednesday evening, at least seven people were killed when an interstate bridge in Minneapolis, Minnesota, collapsed--a "catastrophe of historic proportions." Dozens of cars fell into the river, and at least 60 wounded, and 30 or more lost.

One of the persons in charge of the matter said that the bridge should be strong enough to be in service until 2020. However, in the 1990s, some experts had suggested that there are deficits existing  in some important bridges which should be repaired accordingly. Two years ago, a report had suggested that the government should spend 94 billion US dollars to repair all the bridges that have hidden risks, about 27% of the bridges should be repaired.

There are around 756 bridges that are in the conditions like the bridge collapsed in Minneapolis, Minnesota. The government should repair them immediately in order not to let the same tragedy happen again. The studies  of the collapse suggest that the design of many  bridges have the problem that could cause a collapse if there  are no measures taken to repair the problem bridges. A 2001 report by the state transport department suggested that the bridge "should not have any problems with fatigue cracking in the foreseeable future". It also pointed out the problems with corrosion in the bridge's steel beams and said it was designed under outdated 1961 regulations. During 2002 to 2003, there have been studies and reports on the bridges, there were suggestions of repairing the bridges. However, the bridges are not repaired accordingly, and this tragedy happened. If there were measures taken, and the bridge were repaired, there would be no such bad accident today.

What about the other 756 bridges which are like this bridge? No measures to be taken? While the rescue is going on here, and the repair work should be started at the other problem bridges immediately. I do think it is a neglect of duty which led to the catastrophe. Every US citizen doesn’t want to see this again. It is not funny at all when we found the cars falling into water like toys. No matter who is responsible for the accident, the dead cannot be alive again. Some wounded will have nightmares, for they were so frightened.

Therefore, I think, it is totally necessary to have the other problem bridges repaired as soon as possible. 
© Copyright 2007 loveureyes (loveureyes at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1308618-Bridges-Need-Immediate-Repair