*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1311272-The-making-of-a-Culture
Rated: E · Short Story · Cultural · #1311272
The short story of how a culture grew and developed..
The making of a ‘Culture’


It was culture that was always pointed out. It was always culture that took the blame. It was never associated with appreciation and praise in his case.

He was a growing up boy being brought up in a family known for tolerance and humility. In other words he was born in a progressive family, forward looking and keeping itself away from those who had come in new boasting of their newly adopted ways of culture.

It was in his upbringing that he had learnt not to be obtrusive and had known his people to be gentle and calm, preserving and respecting their traditions. They were liberal and believed in the rights of equality. But the new comers were demanding on grounds of equality. That made the difference. What he and his people condescended away was being thought of as the positive results of using force. They were sowing the seeds of culture and found it encouraging with no one to check them. This pinched them as they thought they were not being given the due recognition. They wanted to be known, to be seen and to be developing with new borrowed features, which they claimed as the foundations of their culture.

They had started by asking for little space for themselves. They had been agreed to. They then demanded a voice of theirs to be heard of. They gave them the voice to express themselves. What was being observed that as they demanded more and the more they got, they were turning more and more unsatisfied.

Initially the new comers were not allowed to interfere in the personal lives of the people. They were held at a distance, which they resented. They felt shunned and thought it to be in opposition to their practice of rights of equal treatment.

They wanted jobs. They got jobs. They wanted to have house jobs like home delivery, plumbing, repairing etc. The grownups knew what they were coming to. These new people were now aiming at their families and homes. They believed and trusted in themselves and their long held traditions. They were a little frightened but came over it. They cold have refused, but that would have shown the world their weakness for their families. They had along history of fighting and surviving with their families. They were not to let a bunch of new comers teach them not to be scared, and to be assured by them of no harm. They had agreed.

The new comers were searching for something. Something that would make them permanently victorious. They were thus in the process of developing their culture also. It was to have everything they desired. They slowly made their reaches to the city places, the downtown areas, offices and hotels etc. They were looking for places they could take. They were not to be discriminated against they were confident of.

They did not have any identity then. They had just landed in the country and had started bargaining for deals. They had started with what was free and reached to ask for their freedom in anything and anywhere.

He watched. He observed. He did not understand why. He asked but was told it was the best for everyone and the best was to come to them. They need not have to fear.

One day he found himself getting short-sightedness problems. He was not able to see far off things clearly and with ease. He had not known of this before. He noticed this as coinciding with the arrival of the new comers. They did not know where they were going yet they found a place for themselves somehow and were not afraid even. They just wanted to revel in victory, a victory they were expecting any moment after what might have been bitter defeats. They now wanted to be compensated.

He watched them spread tentacles everywhere, but still coming back feeling empty every time. They could not understand what and where the barrier was and what checked their steps. They did not know how they got immobilized after breathing in every swear and oath to take revenge. They did not know at all.

He did not know either.

There were no physical encounters. It was avoided by the local youth of the families who controlled themselves and took side of reasoning, logic and understanding etc. and let go of anger, disgust, etc.

They were a few and they wanted more of their people on the land. They were granted the permission in the end. They brought in their people They still vowed to be always fighting, fighting to win, in every bit in front of the people and even living amongst them, and got back assurances they would not retaliate.

Then they learnt how to dress. They adopted a language. They learnt to make groups to live in as families. Thus came to be known what was to be the making of a ‘culture’.
© Copyright 2007 Phean Lane (freehand at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1311272-The-making-of-a-Culture