*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1314464-Prayers-of-Pride-and-Repentance
Rated: E · Other · Spiritual · #1314464
A retelling of Christ's parable of the prayers of the Pharisee and the Tax Collector
NOTES:  This worship drama is a retelling of Jesus’ parable of the prayers of the Pharisee and Tax Collector.  It may fit well in worship services where the topics of prayer, self righteousness, repentance or forgiveness are addressed.

THE NARRARATOR, THE PROUD MAN AND THE REPENTANT WOMAN ENTER TOGETHER.  THE NARRARATOR WALKS TO ONE SIDE OF THE STAGE.  THE PROUD MAN STANDS CONFIDENTLY AT THE CENTER OF THE STAGE AND THE REPENTANT WOMAN STANDS TO THE SIDE LOOKING TOWARDS THE FLOOR.

NARRARATOR
To some who were confident of their own righteousness and looked down on everybody else, Jesus told this parable:  Two people went into the temple to pray.

PROUD MAN
(Walking back an forth confidently, looking upwards)  Lord God, I thank you for the loving and obedient servant I’ve become, for the great abilities I have.  I attend church each and every Sunday, even when the Broncos play an early game.  Surely that’s a sign of my unwavering obedience.  I attend church throughout the summer, when lesser Christians take vacations and have other lame excuses.

I’ve taught Sunday School for many years, even though those little brats, I mean those precious children of yours, can’t fully appreciate the great wisdom of my teachings.  I’ve served on so many boards and committees I’ve lost count, though I’m confident that you, oh Lord, remember.  And it was I who began the process for this fine building that we have today.  I have gone on mission trips, helped with Vacation Bible School, visited nursing homes, served in soup kitchens, worked as an usher, counted offerings, served the needy, washed the feet of the poor (OK, maybe that’s a little exaggeration).  What a great servant I’ve been for you Lord.

And the money I’ve given.  Why just this year alone I gave $11,432.87 (not that I was keeping track  mind you).  I support hungry children around the world, I’ve given to every special offering they have here, I even buy that over-priced candy kids sell door-to-door.  Oh Lord, what generosity, what sacrifice, what benevolence I have.  Yes Lord, even I stand amazed at my acts of obedience and service. 

(Noticing the Repentant Woman out of the corner of his eye)  I thank you that I am not a corrupt sinner, like that sinful woman, that tramp over there.  I thank you that I am a truly righteous man.  (Taking a bow before God) Thank you, thank you, thank you.

REPENTANT WOMAN
(Briefly looks up towards Heaven, then quickly looks back down again)  Oh Lord, I am so sorry.  I fell into that same sin again.  Lord, I didn’t mean to go home with that man last night, it’s just that I’m so very lonely.  But now I feel even more empty and alone than before.  Please don’t cast me aside Lord, please forgive me.  Lord God, strengthen me so that I never do this again.  Lord, have mercy on me, a sinner.

NARARATOR
I tell you the truth, that this woman rather than the man, went home justified before God.  For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.
© Copyright 2007 JoeLoth (joeloth at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1314464-Prayers-of-Pride-and-Repentance