*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1314835-Old-Soldiers
Rated: E · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #1314835
Alternate History Tale of Teddy Roosevelt's last great Adventure.
Old Soldiers
By
James Mallone

A dreary cold October rain pattered down on the roof of the wooden farmhouse.
Inside, hunched over a scarred wooden table, the Colonel spread trembling hands across the faded and coffee stained maps placing his prince nez on his nose to trace a faint faded line.
Finally in frustration he pounded the table with a clenched fist and lowered himself onto the rickety chair with an inward groan of pain. Shaking his large head sadly he pulled the wire framed glasses from his nose and rubbed his tired eyes.

The orderly came in with a fresh pot of coffee.
“Everything alright Colonel?” He poured the steaming liquid into the Colonel’s tin cup.
The older man looked up at the Lieutenant with a dark and steady gaze then a ghost of the famous smile passed over his face for a second. The Lieutenant noted the lines on the tired face and the graying mustache and rough stubble covering the chin. Who would have though the Colonel would be looking so old .

Trying to hide the tremble in his hands the older man took the offered cup.
“Thank you Lt, ghastly weather out tonight eh? Reminds me of a hunting trip I took once in Montana, rained for a solid month nonstop, we finally had to shoot the bears as they swam by.”
The voice was high pitched and yet mellow and the laugh was more of a good hearted cackle. The big oversized teeth seemed to take up most of the face when he smiled. “It was a bully time indeed my boy, a bully time I tell you.”

As he sipped his own coffee the Lt could remember that same voice and laugh from many years before, he had been just a kid then, and the Colonel had been the President of the United States.

The President was standing on the rear platform of a private train coach at the town depot. Most of the town were cheering and waving flags. The voice rang out in those glorious stenotorian tones the man could effect when he was speaking to a crowd. He railed at the audience on how big trust were a cancer on the free enterprise system, how the wall street manipulators and robber barons were going to have to learn that the country and its people were not a toy for big business to play with. The crowd, mostly farmers and small business owners cheered him on enthusiastically.
After the speech, before the train rolled on to its next stop, the boys father escorted him up the metal steps and past the railing draped in red, white and blue bunting and they had entered the private car.

The great man was sitting behind a small travel desk with the famous Prince-Nez perched on his nose. He looked up and saw them and broke into a wide smile, his eyes sparkled.
“Macintosh ! Its bully good to see you man!”
The boy's father took the out stretched hand and the men briefly hugged with friendly back patting.
“Mr President my I present my son William.”
The handshake the boy received was vigorous and the smile larger, though that seemed impossible.
“Delighted my boy, delighted to make your acquaintance.” the way the President said it it came out as Deeelighted.

The President and the boy’s father sat talking for an hour about the old times in Cuba.
His Sunday suit made the boy itch and the heat was terrible but he followed every word as they talked of glory days and the sting of battle.
The boy laughed at the story of how in order to get to Cuba the President had ordered his Rough Riders to commandeer a ship waiting at the Tampa docks. “Some times to be a good soldier you have to be a good pirate as well eh.” The President’s eyes twinkled. Unfortunately as it turned out there was no room for the horses so the First US Volunteer Calvary had to go up San Juan Hill on foot.
Soon the talk turned to politics and republican policy, then it was time to go.
The whole afternoon took on a golden glow for little William which he would cherish as the days, weeks and months passed.

William found that his childhood games soon turned to charging nearby hills and driving an imaginary enemy from their works. Making a bully good charge in the face of unseen whizzing bullets and exploding shells.
“On to the top boys, we have them on the run now!”
Many a lonely pasture and meadow saw the carnage of his campaigns, the cows impassivly chewed their cuds as he planed his flag on bloody hard won ground.
Mother fretted , but Father was proud.

Time rolled past in a Sunny haze of prosperity. William outgrew several Sunday suits, always exceptionally bright he excelled in school.

Meanwhile the President painted the fleet white and sent it off around the world.
"Speak softly but carry a big stick." He warned his countrymen.

Finally the newspapers said that the President would keep his promise not to run for a third term and that following January he placed the Government in the chubby hands of William Howard Taft and was gone off to Africa on safari.
“God help the lions.” William’s father joked. Others, such as J.P. Morgan, were said to be rooting for the lions.

William, meanwhile fell in love , fell out of love and dreamed of wearing a snappy uniform and waving his sword to urge the boys on.
“Come on boys over the top, we still have them on the run!”

The Letter came late the following Spring postmarked from some remote village in darkest Africa.

William
Your Father has expressed to me your earnest desire to attend West Point and that is indeed a noble ambition, one I am most happy to support.
Therefore I have written to certain contacts and pressed your case with as much influence as I can bring to bear being so far removed from events.. It is my hope that I may still have small say in Washington and that you will be accepted.

Sincerely
TR

A Few weeks later William was on his way to take the entrance exams.


A distant boom brought the Lt. back to the present, an errant artillery shot echoed in the darkness and he looked again into the tired face of the Colonel as they waited to see if the shell would make the tell tale woosh that indicated it was heading their way. The silence and plopping of rain filled the room.

“Bloody bad business we have here, no damn glory in all this mud and death, eh.”
The Colonel took a sip of the black coffee and looked again at the maps and the lines of trenches that stretched from one map to another, red for British, French, American and blue running parrallell for the German and Austrian lines. The marks on the maps hadn’t moved more than a few miles in years. It was a huge bloody meat grinder that chewed up men and equipment, spitting out casualties year after endless year.
Nobody ever thought it would last this long.

William sipped the warm black liquid from his own cup remembering his Father’s remark as he looked up from his Morning newspaper.
“Damn European’s are at it again, This time over some murdered Arch Duke or some such title, who can keep all those royal highnesses straight anyway.”
William remembered it mainly because his Father rarely cursed unless he was talking about democrats or William Howard Taft.

The Colonel scratched the gray stubble on his cheek and sat the coffee cup gently on the table.
“The company commanders will be here soon, I guess we should get some rest eh. We have a busy day tomorrow .”
William nodded and snapped a salute to his commander even though it wasn’t required or expected .

The Old man brought a finger tip up to just above his eye and for just a fleeting second the Lt saw a ghost of that famous ear to ear smile the cartoonist loved to draw. One tacked on the wall ripped from a months old newspaper of the Colonel in full uniform, twenty feet tall and striding out of the sea carrying a big stick as tiny frightened Germans in spiked helments fled in all directions. Its tattered curling edges and fading lines seemed to somehow echo the man sitting at the table.

The Colonel got up with a grunt and limped into the small bedroom as William headed for his own cot in the Kitchen beside the makeshift cook stove. Water dripped from a hundred places between the uneven boards used to patch the roof, catching all the water with buckets was useless but a few were used for the major leaks.
The Lt lay down fully clothed for he had learned that messengers might come at anytime and there weren’t spare minutes for putting on shirts or boots.

Another boom echoed through the darkness and rattled the few blacked out panes of glass remaining in the wooden window frames. He never knew it could rain so much, then he thought of the men out there in the darkness not half a mile away, huddled in muddy ditches with water up to their knees or higher, slogging around in half rotted boots or laying quietly watching for an enemy who was just as interested in staying put as they were. How many of them he thought would love to have even this leaky roof over their heads tonight.
Soon enough he knew, the weather would turn bitter cold and the mud would freeze until its edges were as sharp as a knife, the barbed wire would sparkle like his mother's crystal and snow would begin fall and cover the shell holes and bodies that no one had been able to bury and the others who had been buried by the constant shelling till their graves were now lost forever.
Every thing would be white and clean and for a while it would be beautiful, until the shelling started again.

William pulled the thin blanket around himself and closed his eyes.

He was home from the Point and Father was having some friends over to show off his Cadet son.
The dinnertable conversation soon turned from the Academy to Politics.
William was a bit out of touch with the political scene but his Father beamed as the young man followed the conversation and took in all the opposing points of view.
“So you think Teddy really has a chance?” Bilkins, the gruff old banker interjected.
“Its insane, Taft was his hand picked man, we gave him that, now he’s determined to move back in as if he just took a vacation.” Added Judge Parker.
“Taft has been a monumental failure, you can’t argue with that, a curse to the progressives with all his whining about how he has only done what he had to do.” Father's tone was bitter.
“Rubbish, if Teddy wanted keep running things he should have taken for a third term.” The Judge knitted his bushy brows and smoothed his enormous white beard.
“He made a mistake, a large mistake, but still a mistake, he’s only human after all.” Father’s voice had lost its bitter tone and was now conciliatory.
“And now his mistake is going to hand the White House over to Wilson, that pantywaist professor from New Jersey!” Bilkins was somber.
“There is still hope that Teddy can win, he has plenty of support, he and Taft could patch things up, maybe Taft will do the sensible thing and step aside .”
Parker ‘s voice was a growl as he answered .
“Why should Taft step aside? He was chosen at the convention and he’s the official Republican Candidate mainly because the Roosevelt supporters stormed out. He cast a dark look at William’s father who had been in that contingent when walked out of the convention hall.
“With Teddy as a Bull Moose the party is split, the Democrats will stand united and walk right in, there’s no way Teddy of Taft can pull away enough support to sneak by.
“There is still enough time for TR to rally support, hes taken to the stump again, we can only pray its enough.” Father’s voice was hopeful but his face grim.
William sat and listened to the conversation, respectfully absorbing all his elders said and unless asked a question didn’t offer his own opinions.

A few weeks later the newspapers were again full of shocking news .
Former President Roosevelt had been shot in the chest as he was preparing to make a speech .
The bullet lodged in his chest, stopped from being a mortal wound only by the thick folded sheets of the speech in his pocket. Teddy Finished the Speech though bleeding and was then rushed to a nearby doctor and spent several weeks recovering .
He regained his health but not his momentum and on election night the GOP Elephant crashed head on into the Bull Moose and they knocked each other senseless, while as Father put it “That Democratic jackass walked right into the White House.”

William received orders to the Philippines and suffered through months of sweltering hell in a jungle outpost before being posted to easier duty in Manila. While there he received word that his Father was in poor health , the old wound from Cuba was causing him trouble again. Mother was hopeful for his recovery but her worry was evident in the letters that followed.

Time passed.
Europe erupted into war and Wilson declared that America would stay out of the conflict.
Roosevelt called Wilson a coward and stumped across the nation giving speech after speech on how American intervention was inevitable.

Wilson was stung and angered by the charges of cowardice and alarmed by the prospect of a GOP Bull Moose rapprochement and the support Teddy seemed to command at every stop on his speaking tour.
Wilson chose to stay the course and ignored the former President, continuing his policy of nonintervention.

“The United States is a world power, how can we remain neutral when the whole world is aflame, enlightened self-interest should bring us to the aid of the British and French with whom we share a common history and friendship.” Teddy shouted from podiums everywhere.
The crowds cheered, the flags waved.

William was on hand to see the Japanese fleet pay a visit to Manila harbor and was impressed by the huge iron ships and the neat ,efficient sailors manning their post. It was amazing to him that less than a hundred years before Japan had been a backwards feudal nation ruled over by sword wielding warlords.
If we ever have to fight them it might be a close thing indeed. He thought.

By the next election the country was splitting over the war.
The Wilsonites waved their banner of “He kept us out of war.”
The Germans bombed London with Zepplins, sank ships with submarines and continued to fight the British and French to a standstill in the crushing trenches day after day.

The war hawks marched to rallies with slogans such as “Remember the Lusitania and, Are we going to wait till Zepplins are over New York.”
Roosevelt announced that he would personally raise a regiment to go to Europe and fight the Huns.
Wilson managed to rally enough support to win a second term, America continued her policy of Neutrality.

Second Lieutenant Macintosh was called home and posted to a regiment under the command of General Pershing and they went for a gallop down in Mexico chasing Pancho Villa, it was a tense Summer and there was a real threat that the United States and Mexico were going to go to war. That fall tensions eased and a border war was less likely . William received the news that his Father had passed away and returned home on leave for the funeral.

Will was gratified to see that the Colonel took time off from his bust speaking tours to attend the funeral.
The healthy vigorous man from Williams youth was now a bit older and stooped, he had almost died trying to map the Amazon river which left him with a limp. One of his eyes seemed to be a bit out of focus due to a few to many boxing blows and he was deaf in one ear but the smile was as big and genuine as ever.
As he shook wills hand and appraised the young man’s dress uniform there was still a twinkle in his eye.

“We should talk later young man, I would love to hear what a true military man thinks of remaining neutral while our friends suffer.”
The old man, well not exactly old he was only fifty eight after all , younger than Will’s Father, .Gave him a pat on the shoulder and shuffled off to shake hands with the other republican dignitaries , some of them still holing a grudge from the Bull Moose days refused to take the offered hand.

Will was surprised not too long after to receive an invitation to visit Sagramore Hill the Roosevelt home on Oyster bay New York.
Sitting in the wood paneled study with its mounted exotic animal heads and assorted beast made Will feel a bit uneasy. The Colonel came to the point quickly over tall glasses of lemonade.
“William I was very fond of your Father, a good friend and loyal Progressive all his days. Did you know I offered him a Government post once which he refused because it would have meant moving your family to Washington, which he considered a den of thieves , he wasn’t not too far off the mark I think.”
Will had not known that but it sounded like his father, more happy working in the trenches than basking in the glory.
The former president continued. “William its not always easy to follow principle when you have a tough choice to make.”
Will smiled uncertainly.
“I have it on good authority that we will soon be in this war, no matter what Wilson and his cronies want. You must promise to keep what I tell you a secret until such time as events play out.”
Will nodded and sipped the lemonade.
“The Germans have been in contact with the Government of Mexico. There is an offer on the table .”
Will started to speak but the Colonel raided his hand. “No don’t ask me how I know, just believe that I do. In return for Mexico attacking us the Germans are prepared to offer support and assistance. The Mexicans will, after the war, get to reclaim California, Arizona, new Mexico and probably Texas.”
Will was stunned, if this were true there was no way Wilson would be able to ignore it, but there would have to be hard proof.
“There will be a certain telegram leaked by the Mexican officials because they aren’t stupid enough to think that war with us would be in their best interest.
Even Wilson’s wide stripe of yellow won’t be able to keep the people of this country from arming and marching off to Europe . It will mean war William, finally War.”
The Colonel smacked a fist into his palm and unconsciously winced in pain.

“Now my boy the real reason I asked you to come up here. When the war comes I intend to reactivate the Rough Riders as a volunteer regiment. I’ll need good level headed junior officers on my staff and it would be my honor to offer you a position as my aid.”
Will considered that and a question came to mind.
“But Sir won’t President Wilson oppose your going to Europe, he;s not exactly your biggest supporter, and you have been a public thorn in his side since nineteen twelve.”

“Exactly.” Teddy smiled. “If I know Wilson he won’t be able to get me out of the country fast enough, better to have me over there than here reminding everyone how much time he wasted getting us into this thing. The Russians are on the point of collaspe and when they go down the Germans and Austrians will be able to turn everything they have toward the West and we are going to need to move our troops into the lines as quickly as possible .”
Will sat turning over the conversation in his mind, it was a way to make certain he got into the action and didn’t get stuck in the states. The Colonel was going to go into the thick of it that was for sure.he had never heard of a former President taking the Field in a war, this was historic indeed.
Will asked for time to consider the offer and thanked the Colonel.

Not too long after Will returned to duty a certain telegram was indeed leaked and Wilson was pushed into a corner from which he could not escape except by asking Congress to declare War on Germany and her allies.
As promised Roosevelt stood up in New York and announced that he would go to Europe with a new First US Volunteer Calvary .
Wilson’s advisors pressed him to just ignore Teddy as being the best idea, but as the Colonel predicted the thought of Roosevelt stopping a Hun bullet with that oversized head of his was just too appealing .

There were however a few conditions which Roosevelt had to agree to.
The former President wasn’t granted the commanding generalship he requested but was installed at his old rank of Lt Colonel then promoted to full Colonel under General Pershing, and even a former President would be brought up on charges if he ran his mouth too much . The regiment was firmly attached to the regular army chain of command so there would be no unauthorized adventures and last and most humiliating there would be no horses at all, not even for training. Trench warfare didn’t require horses Teddy was told.


A stray artillery shell screamed overhead and crashed somewhere in the distance. William’s eyes snapped open. There was a cold gray light peeking around the edges of the painted out window panes.
The rain had stopped but the roof still dripped as if it were pouring outside.
He got up stiffly from the cot and added some wood to the stove to heat the room as well as brew some fresh coffee. He reached behind his pillow and took out two of the precious eggs hidden there.
He scrambled them and added a few of the stale crackers from a battered tin and took the Eggs and coffee into the other room.

“Breakfast Colonel.” he called even though he knew the older man would already be up.
The Colonel was standing in Uniform pants and tee shirt and doing a few vigorous calisthenics.
“The company commanders will be here soon sir.”
Teddy huffed and nodded as he switched to jumping jacks, wincing each time he came down on the bad leg. The pain was obvious but he kept going until a sheen of sweat covered his bare arms and shoulders.

William sat the tin plate of eggs on the table and turned to go but stopped and turned.
“Permission to speak freely sir?”
Teddy nodded as he began to twist his arms from side to side.
“You don’t have to do this sir, the men, well the men will understand , everyone will understand.”
Roosevelt stopped and put both hands on his knees as he wheezed for breath, after a few seconds he looked up.

“Lt. You know my position on that, I would never ask these boys to do something I wouldn’t do myself.”
William looked into the steely determined eyes and deep down he did understand.
“Did you lay out that Uniform I asked for?”
“Yes sir.”
“Bully.” He placed a hand on the younger mans shoulder and his face took on a somber cast.

“This war isn’t quite what we expected is it, but then what in life ever is? Its just an endless race back and forth for useless muddy ground, no glory anymore, no magnificent charges, just boys crawling through the muck and trying to hold on until the enemy pushes them back again. We all have our job to do no matter how we feel about it.”
William nodded.
“Did you ever meet my son Quinten?
The Lt. Shook his head.
“Damn fine boy, damn fine. He was killed recently down south somewhere, flying an airplane and got shot down. He was brave , brave and fine like all those boys out there in the mud. That’s where the honor is my boy in the heart of every man out there.”
The wistful look left his face and Teddy smiled.
“So lets make short work of this mess and get those fellows home, I want to be back in time to run for President in 1920.”

William brought in the old Uniform and laid it on the bed, its brass buttons were just a shiny as when it was new back in 98.
Then he went back to scramble an egg for himself and drink some of the hot black coffee before the meeting with the Company Co’s.
Teddy picked up the uniform jacket and slipped it on dressing for glory and the voters back home.





Article from a New York newspaper dated October 2nd ,1918

It was learned here today that former President , and Colonel of the 1st volunteer Calvary Regiment, Teddy Roosevelt was killed in action along the front in France.
Colonel Roosevelt of the famous Rough Riders was in the midst of leading a personal charge against a German machine gun nest dug into a hillside near the Allied trenches. This particular gun had accounted for numerous causalities and was considered a key strong point in the German lines.

Colonel Roosevelt’s gallant action in charging the Gun emplacement was successful and momentum from his push allowed other nearby units to advance taking several hundred feet of the German trenches.
Roosevelt was last seen standing on a ridge , exhorting the men to push further, when another German machine gun nearby cut him down.
The initial push faltered and a subsequent German counter attack retook all the captured ground but was held at the Allied trench line.

President Wilson called Roosevelt’s last charge one of the most Gallant actions of the war and has promised a State Funeral and period of Public Mourning for the Former Chief executive who’s body has not yet been recovered from the German lines.



The End







© Copyright 2007 J. Mallone (gillbill at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1314835-Old-Soldiers