*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1327602-Conspiriacy-Theory
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #1327602
America held Hostage? Not in this Alternate History Tale !
Conspiracy Theory
An Alternate History Tale
By
J Mallone


Note to the Reader, This is just a story and does not reflect my political views or those of anyone else. Its a work of fiction so don't flame me just enjoy it..Thanks


The Siege of Teheran, April 13 1980

Berliner peeked over the ridge, hoping to see reinforcements moving up on the left.
Instead there was only more pock marked waste and burned out equipment where the road used to be.
“Damn where are those guys from the 69th?”
He motioned for the radio man, who crawled over dragging his equipment.
More explosions cracked from behind the walls as the Iranian’s pounded the ridge in preparation for another push.
Berliner yanked the radio mike to his mouth and shouted as the air filled with smoke and flying shrapnel.
There was only static ...

Maine , United States, Early Autumn 1979

The bright colors of the leaves framed the bend in the river where the migrating birds had stopped to rest.
The Ducks swam silently across the sun dappled water calling to each other as Margo leaned back against his arm. Her eyes were closed and a contented smile played across her lips , saying all that her heart couldn’t.

Her fuzzy pink sweater felt soft against his cheek as he looked out across the river.
“It was time.” He thought. “Time to let the younger guys have the game, he had done his time in and all they could have expected of him.”
He smiled and ran a hand through her silky blond hair.
“I’ll take retirement in six months and come back here and build a house right on this spot." The spot where they had made love earlier . With luck they might raise a few kids, have a dog, maybe a few horses, that was a plan worth thinking about.”
She murmured something soft in her sleep and he reached down and stroked her cheek then kissed her gently on the forehead.
“Everything would be OK in six months. “


Just a few months later things began to go bad.

In January of 1979 the autocratic Shah of Iran had finally pushed his long suffering people to the breaking point.
Revolution and chaos took hold in a country most Americans didn’t even know or care existed.
The Shah took flight into despotic exile, but eventually poor health brought him to the United States for treatment. radical Iranian revolutionary elements demanded he be returned to the country for trial and execution.
The American Government refused.
By November 16, Islamic Student followers of Shi’ite leader Atatolla Ruholla Khomeini stormed the American embassy in Teheran taking hostages.
The Carter administration spent several futile weeks , then months trying to use diplomacy to resolve the volatile situation, then in a show of real backbone no one expected from the dithering Carter Presidency orders were cut for military action.

These thoughts of the recent past were heavy on the mind of Master Sergeant Berliner as he sat in the C141 reading Margo's letter for the third time. He glanced out the tiny round window at the clouds below then back at the faces of the soldiers around him.
“Damn, I’m gonna be a father!” He muttered to no one in particular as he squeezed the letter tightly.


Iran / Iraq Border Early February 1980

All the unit leaders and Noncoms were assembled in the sweltering hell of the hanger building., even at night the heat was intense.
The Colonel stepped to the podium and cleared his throat. Then read from the paper in his hand.

“We have orders to move out.
Every Company will be ready to deploy in six hours, our allies in the Army of Iraq will be crossing the border in mass just before sunrise and should have the frontier outpost secured by the time we drop in.
We will hit the LZ behind the Iranian lines and begin to push for the Capital, expect fierce, fanatical resistance.
The Iraqi’s will be the hammer gentlemen, we will be the anvil and between us we need to squash all resistance and get our people out.
Good luck and Godspeed , be ready to move out. That is all.”

The frontier outpost fell like dominoes to the Iraqi's , most of the positions were held by college kids who had never even seen combat much less a well trained army coming at them..
Still they put up a hell of a fight,They didn’t die easy, but they died.

New York Times Article , February 14, 1980

United Nations Security Council to Vote on Sanctions Today
In an unprecedented move the United Nations today will move to impose military and economic sanctions on the United States for its invasion of the Islamic Republic of Iran..

Letter to the Editor, Austin Dispatch , February 20 1980
Dear Mr. Editor
Hoooray for President Carter and the good old USA !
Its about time somebody showed then dammed A-rabs who’s boss !


Washington Post Article, March 5 1980

Antiwar protest erupted outside the White House again today causing sporadic violence from both security forces and demonstrators.
Speakers called for an end to hostilities and for “Madman” Carter to resign.
Police and secret service using tear gas, water hoses and rubber bullets dispersed the crowd then made several arrest including three Saudi nationals who were questioned and later released.


The Siege of Teheran, August 12, 1980

Dearest Margo,
Sorry I haven’t written.
I know you worry and I will try to be more prompt in getting letters out.
Things may be over here soon, the resistance is crumbling since we took part of the Western city a few weeks ago.
We can actually see the Embassy now in the distance, though that’s a hollow victory now.
At least we have the chance to get the bastards who butchered those defenseless people. Khomeini will have a lot to answer for when he is finally run down. The televised beheadings of innocent civilians turned allot of international support against the Iranians.They say Khomeini has fled to the caves in the hills near the border but who knows.

I hope you and the baby are doing well and as always you guys are in my heart, I can't wait to meet my son.

Love
John


New York Times, lead Story, August 17 1980

President Injured in Blast !

President Carter was slightly injured last night while leaving the scene of his debate with Republican candidate Ronald Regan . A protester somehow managed to get close enough to to toss what appeared to be a homemade pipe bomb at the Presidential party.
An as yet unidentified Secret Service agent threw himself across the President and took the brunt of the blast suffering critical injuries.
The perpetrator was quickly apprehended by Secret Service agents and Detroit police and found to be a Moroccan national and member of the Holy Islamic Resistance underground.
He is being questioned about his connections to others who may have been present and involved in the plot to assassinate the President and former governor Regan.
Details indicate that ......



Berliner motioned his men forward with a hand signal, there was sporadic firing from a few blocks away, but things seemed quiet here for now. Behind the concrete barrier two bodies lay sprawled, one still clutched a Russian made AK-47, The other was face down but there wasn’t enough blood.
Berliner had seen this trick too many times. At his hand signal Garner opened up on the body and riddled it with slugs.
There was a slight twitch then the body was still again no sign of life.
Garner approached cautiously and kicked the body over and suddenly Berliner knew it was going to go bad, he started to scream but the sound of the explosion drowned him out, Garner vanished in a spray of red mist as the rest of them dived for cover from the shrapnel .
“Damn, Damn, Damn !”
Berliner closed his eyes tight but he could still see the face of the kid as he was rolled over, just a damn kid, couldn’t have been more then thirteen, The antipersonnel mine had been strapped to his chest and on his dead face a look of pure hate.
Hate was all these little hoochies had now as they blew themselves up dead and alive for their glorious revolution.
Berliner leaned back against the crumbling wall, wiped the residue of his friend off his face and took out a smoke.
He thought about allot of things but most of all he thought about clearing out this last nest of vipers here in the old American Embassy where they had retreated for a last desperate stand.
Khomeini was in hiding but he would be found, this whole mess was almost over and they could go home.

Atlanta Journal Constitution Article, September 27, 1980

Polls show Regan victory by narrow margin.

In one of the closest Presidential races in United States history polls show Former California Governor Ronald Regan might just manage to squeak by President Carter on election night.
Regan’s campaign has picked up steam with the news of more casualties in the mountains near the Afghanistan border.
Carter has been pounced on recently by media critics and Republican speakers for not pressing on to final victory in the Iranian war and allowing Iran to become as some have labeled it “Another Vietnam”.
The President has stood by his decisions on the rebuilding of Iran and the institution of a democratic government for the Iranian people. He has also been quick to dismiss rumors of sweetheart deals for contracts to rebuild the country and stated that our forces may be needed there to keep the peace between warring factions for sometime to come...

New York Times, Lead story October 30, 1980

America Betrayed !!!

Yesterday October 29, 1980, advance forces of the Army of Iraq who were instrumental in the successful early stages of the recent Iranian War, attacked American forces with out warning or provocation and destroyed two US convoys and several aircraft with heavy loss of life.
Other American units reported increased activity and hostile moves by the Iraq forces in their sectors during the day with increasing gunfire exchanged in all areas.
The Iraqi Revolutionary Guard, personal troops of Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein, moved in force across the border into the neighboring Kingdom of Kuwait and occupied key positions including oil fields, refineries and shipping facilities.
Hussein’s regime which seemed to be tottering under repeated attacks from Radical Islamic factions has now taken firm control of the upper Persian Gulf region
The Carter administration was stunned at this unexpected turn of events and a Press conference had been scheduled for....

Tehran, American Embassy , November 7 1980

A God dammed death trap !
Berliner surveyed the empty street from a narrow crack in the shattered mud brick wall.
They had been suckered and there was no way around it.
He noticed a few furtive shadows making for the cover on the far side of the square.
With silent hand motions he had a couple of guys set up a covering fire on that area , soon came the thunk of rounds smacking into the wall as the fire fight resumed.
The return fire was intense and now was coming at them from two sides.
Berliner gritted his teeth and swore silently, gonna have to pull back out of here or else risk being cut off and surrounded, bad enough the Iraqi’s were picking us off now but more units from the Holy Islamic Freedom Army of were coming down from the hills under the leadership of that Saudi fanatic Osama Bin Laden, A follower of the now deceased Khomeini.
Berliner reached into his vest and took out the faded picture of Margo and the baby, kissed it and returned it to his pocket.
More HIA's, were moving up and the Iraqi's were said to be closing the routes out of the city.
It was time to get the hell out of here.

Washington DC, December 22,1980

Marine Corp Major Oliver North entered the plush outer office with the self assured stride of a man on his way up in the world.
His current mission had been more successful then any one could have imagined and glory and promotion awaited him with more choice assignments sure to come his way. He stopped by a hallway mirror and made sure his uniform was spotless winked at his reflection and knocked on the door.
He was ushered into the makeshift Hotel room / office of President Elect Ronald Regan.
The new chief executive wasn’t present of course, not for a meeting like this, but North was sure the top man would be briefed on his recent accomplishments.
The Vice President Elect shook his hand warmly and offered him a drink.“So Ollie, how was your trip?”
North Knew that Bush was an old CIA man and had all the details of the trip neatly typed and submitted to him long before North ever entered the office. It was also a sure bet the place had been cleaned of bugs so North was at ease answering the question.
“Just wonderful Mr Vice president sir, we have made some real accomplishments over the past few months.”
Bush smiled. “yes indeed it seems our Iraqi friend took the bait, hook, line and sinker.”
North sipped the exceptional scotch in his glass and nodded.
“Not only did his unexpected move cost Carter the election, but it now leaves us free to pursue our larger goals in the region.”

Bush smiled again.
“yes and so we will continue to let our Unbalanced friend think he’s king of the hill over there, after all he has our assurance that he can keep what he took.That is until we go to the UN and get a coalition together to kick him back out.
Bin Laden is following orders and is pulling back into Afghanistan to give the Soviets hell on that front.
Meanwhile Iran is practically destroyed, Iraq now over extended and extremely unpopular in international circles, the Saudis are mouthing hallow protest and hoping we don't target them next.
However our next target will be that loudmouthed idiot in Libya so see what you can manufacture down there. Any excuse will do, just make it look good.”
Oliver stood and snapped a crisp salute, while wondering if the rumors were true that Bush was actually going to be the power behind the Regan throne. Everyone from the British Prime Minister to the Soviet Premier thought the new President was crazy as a bed bug. and maybe that wasn't such a bad thing..

Bush turned and looked Ollie in the eye.
“You have done some damn fine work for us Colonel,damn fine work, before you go I want to let you in on a tip you may find very profitable.. Have you ever heard of a company called Haliburton?........”

Never The End, just another beginning
© Copyright 2007 J. Mallone (gillbill at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1327602-Conspiriacy-Theory