*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1317318-Wheat-Field-of-Memories
by mec
Rated: E · Short Story · Emotional · #1317318
Remebering a time of youth, playfulness of school days.
Wheat Field of Memories

The fall sun still shone bright and cast warmth over the evening. The screen porch door opens with a squeak; Annabelle takes the steaming cup of coffee from her mother.

“I see her walking in the fields; she looks beautiful, so young and free. How she loved to pick through the fields before school would start. Celia was so adventurous,” Said Annabelle

Mother said, “Do you remember your third year of school? Celia brought home the school pet. It was a rat, or a mouse.”

“Momma, it was a hamster, Hammy the hamster,” replied Annabelle

“Oh yes, right Annabelle. Celia let that loose in the field and it took us days to find that critter. It was early Monday morning, she did not want to give it up, she said she wanted him to be free. Your father was angry and just wanted her to be responsible. So, he followed her, but when he found her lying in the field, she had crackers crushed and Hammy was eating out of her pocket. He said he just sat and listened to her. She sang this little song: there is a mean old dog, who lives across the fence. One fine day that dog did jump, he jump so high he cleared that fence. So, on he went, that dog did run... that dog got hungry and needed to feast, so down he ran into the creek. Your Daddy can still hear her laughter. Celia picked up that hamster and kissed it so hard. Without another word, your daddy went and bought the school another hamster.”
Mother is quiet, and then, she says. "I wish she were here to enjoy this September. It was her favourite time of year; change of season, wheat so high. Yes, Annabelle, I too can see her in the field, she looks beautiful".


(305 words)

© Copyright 2007 mec (dreamread at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1317318-Wheat-Field-of-Memories