*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1319799-For-the-Daily-Flash-Fiction-Challenge
by Amarok
Rated: E · Short Story · Other · #1319799
Who is reponsible?
He glared at her. Uncowed, she glared right back. Her little sunny yellow dress was twisted between her fingers as she held back her tears. It isn’t fair! It’s not my fault! she cried out in her mind. He looked at her little red furious face and, in spite of himself, he smiled.

He glanced around again at the chaos that had been wrought. Overturned tables lay haphazardly on top of carpet covered with dripping glue, torn pages and spilt paint. He sighed at the thought of explaining the situation to his superiors. This was only meant to be a bit of fun…

He turned back to her. “You are responsible for this mess. Clean up as much as you can in the time we have left.”
“But – But – “
“Be quiet! You will do as I tell you! Don’t ever speak back to me again,” he said, sharply.
“But it wasn’t my fault!” She burst in, unable to take punishment for what she knew was not her fault. “I was sitting in my seat the whole time, you didn’t see me do anything!”

He knew she was right, and in her own mind was not accountable for this. He looked down and saw the liquid brown eyes and thumping tail that was beating staccato beats against the floor. How could he explain to a little girl that what her puppy did in his classroom was partly her responsibility? He knelt down beside her and the puppy, and while stroking the puppy’s head, looked her straight in the eye. “If this was Gracie’s puppy in your house, who would you think should clean it up?” he asked kindly. Her eyes widened; and, head down, went to clear up the mess.

He watched for a moment, then began to help her.
© Copyright 2007 Amarok (iforani at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1319799-For-the-Daily-Flash-Fiction-Challenge