*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1326505-Beyond-Perception
by szamot
Rated: E · Prose · Spiritual · #1326505
The endless struggle to grasp what is ungraspable.
                                                                                               szamoT
                                                                                                     10.03.06 (D/M/Y)

                                                Beyond Perception

         In the distance, like a shadow in the night, there it was. Not heard, nor seen, nor felt, nor smelled or tasted: it lurked. Its only quality was the awareness of its being possessed by a traveler of the road. Through the desolate wood he walked under the full moon, his only companion and sole witness to his great anxiety. Like hot coals the premonition burned the traveler's insides. Deep impenetrable fog drowned the entire world in its vastness. There was nothingness, and through this nothingness the traveler ventured, and searched. Searched for that which was just beyond his reach, for that which the ghastly fog concealed. It hid in every swirling cloud of mist and was present in every whisper of the breeze. The traveler turned, and looked, and ran, with no sense of direction he plunged forward, trying to grasp what was in hand, but was unattainable. Through hills, through valleys, through streams and mountains the wild chase continued at an ever-greater speed. And now, and again, he thought he saw a rabbit, an antelope, or a tiger tearing its way through the vastness in front of him. And now, and again, he thought he heard the cracking of a branch or the rustle of the leaves. At bewildering speed the traveler ran onwards, dead ahead, through the endless forest. The moon waxed and waned overhead, but the night was endless and the fog ever-present.

                                                        ***
© Copyright 2007 szamot (szamot at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1326505-Beyond-Perception