*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1329242-A-Year-in-the-Life-of-Sarah-Pt1
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · LGBTQ+ · #1329242
Sarah's life becomes full of all sort of new things: job, boyfriend, love interest?
November
"I'm getting sick of standing in line for a club I'll probably never get into," Sarah complained, pulling her jacket tighter around her. However, Felicia was ignoring her. "The line's moving!" she announced excitedly, looking down toward the door. "Yea, because they turned away more people," Sarah muttered, shivering. Ever since Club M had opened, Felicia had dragged Sarah to it every Friday night to stand in line to get in. And every Friday night, the line had been so long that by the time that they reached the door, the bouncer told them that he could accept no more people. Sarah also suspected that your name had to be on his list to get in but she and Felicia hadn't made it that far. By the time they reached him and his list, it no longer mattered. "This is my last time coming with you," Sarah told Felicia as the line creeped forward. Felicia's eyes widened. "Why?" she asked, looking shocked. "Because it's a waste of time, that's why," Sarah replied, "We stand here for an hour or so and then go home. It's pointless and the weather's getting colder." Felicia sighed, "Okay. I see your point. After tonight, I won't make you come with me anymore." "Hey, the line's moving," the man behind them said, pointing. "Sorry," Sarah said to him, hurrying forward. As they drew nearer and nearer to the door, Sarah watched as more and more people walked back, disappointed or even angry. One woman had even called to the rest them remaining, "You're wasting your time! They're like Nazis up there!" Some man and woman got sick of waiting and left. Sarah started once to leave as well but Felicia pointed out that they were so close to the door, so she stayed. After nearly two hours, they reached the door; it was almost nine. Sarah automatically shifted to walk away but heard the bouncer ask for their names. Felicia grabbed Sarah's arm and stop her and said, "Felicia Sedgewick and Sarah Tate." The bouncer scanned his list and then flipped through a few pages, "I don't see either name here. Sorry." Felicia looked so sad. Sarah sighed and turned. "Sweethearts, I told you not to wait in line," a voice exclaimed. Sarah looked to see a couple walking up to the door, bypassing the line, their arms threaded through one another's. The man was tall and lean, his hair a curly dark brown with eyes to match, complete with goatee. He was dressed in tight jeans and a sky blue button up silk shirt with a lambskin jacket that hung just past his hips. The woman was slightly shorter than him with long dark brown hair, her eyes a deep dark green. Like him, she was also fit and dressed in faded jeans and a white shirt with a long black leather coat that went hit about mid-shin. All of the clothes screamed designer and Sarah had a strong impression of money. The man was smiling warmly at them and the woman looked to the bouncer, "Antoine, they're with us." The bouncer nodded and stepped back and asked Sarah and Felicia, "Why didn't you just say so?" Felicia shrugged and hurried inside, Sarah right behind her. Once inside, Sarah turned and waited for the couple to come in. A moment later, they walked in, laughing. The bouncer was laughing too and then he shut the door behind them. "Thank you," she said as they passed. "Yes, thank you," Felicia echoed, looking around. "Sweethearts, it was nothing," the man said and they moved on. "Wow, talk about luck," Felicia muttered once they were gone. "No kidding," Sarah replied, still watching them walk away. The man was whispering in the woman's ear and she was laughing at whatever he was saying. Finally she tore her attention off of them. "Check this place out," Felicia said, gesturing. Now that she was inside, Sarah understood why Club M was such a hot spot. It was elegant and yet hip, something that most places strive to be but never reach. "We're here now and we may well never be again. So let's enjoy it," Felicia said after they had stood in awe for a few minutes. They danced for a while, first with one another and then with some random men. After a while, Sarah went to the bar to get something to drink while Felicia remained out on the floor. "Never seen you in here before," the bartender commented as he slid her a beer, "And it's rare to see an unfamilar face in here." Sarah shrugged and picked up her beer. "You didn't sneak in, did you?" he asked, his tone teasing but also carrying a hint of seriousiness. "Some new friends got me in," Sarah replied, figuring that it was somewhat the truth. "And where are your friends?" he asked, looking around. Sarah shook her head, "I don't keep them on a leash." The bartender laughed and then moved on to serve someone else. After finishing her beer, Sarah went back out onto the floor. Felicia seemed pleased to see her and told the man she was dancing with, "There's my friend. Now where's yours?" "I'll go find him," he said, heading off. "They're lawyers!" Felicia exclaimed after her had disappered into the crowd. "Okay," Sarah said, not seeing why that was so thrilling. "They've got money," Felicia continued, grinning. "Gold digger," Sarah muttered, smiling. Felicia hit her on the arm and then the men returned.

"Ms. Tate, your phone bill is over-due. If we do not receive at least thirty dollars by next week, we will be shutting your phone off," the woman said in a clipped tone. Sarah mentally groaned but said, "You'll have the thirty dollars by next week." A moment later, she hung up the phone and rubbed her temples while closing her eyes. "Damn Charlotte," she said, clenching her fists. Charlotte had promised that Home & Garden would love her pictures, that they would buy them. So Sarah had spent money that she hadn't really been able to and now Home & Garden had refused to buy her pictures. So she was broke, very broke. "I really need a steady job," she muttered, getting up and putting her coffee cup in the sink. Sarah had thought that she could make a living as a freelance photographer but as time went on, she became less certain. She went and changed out of her pjs. As she was pulling on a sweatshirt, the phone rang. "Hello?" she asked after running to get it. "Um, is this Sarah?" an uncertain voice asked on the other end. "Yes," Sarah said, not recongizing the voice. "Oh good," the voice said, sounding relieved. "This is Craig. We met at Club M a few nights ago," he went on and Sarah laughed. "Yes, I didn't recongize your voice at first," she said, "How have you been?" Craig was the friend of Felicia's dancing partner. They had danced and talked; he seemed nice and sweet so she had given him her number when he had asked for it at the end of the night. "I've been good. I was wondering if you might like to go out to dinner," Craig said, regaining his confidence. "Craig, I would love to but I can't," Sarah answered, thinking of her money problem. "Oh, other plans?" he asked and she decided to be honest. "No, I just can't afford to go out on a date right now," she said, winicing at how bad that sounded. There was a pause and then he said, "I'll pay for everything. I was planning on it anyway." "Are you sure?' Sarah asked, unsure. She didn't want him thinking that she was using him. Craig laughed, "Yes, I am sure. If it will make you feel better, you can buy my dinner later on." "Okay, when?" Sarah asked, smiling. "I was thinking this Saturday night. We could met at that coffee shop across from the Safeway," he said. "At what time?" she asked, grateful that he was suggesting meeting somewhere. She was cautious about giving out her address. "Is seven okay?" he asked, "That would give us time to get ready and still have time to eat before it got too late." "Sounds fine to me. So Saturday at seven, meeting at the coffeee shop opposite of the Safeway," Sarah repeated back. "Yup. Well, I guess I'll see you then," he said, and after exchanging good byes, they hung up. Sarah looked at the phone for a moment and then laughed, "Now what am I going to wear?"

Craig pulled out her chair and Sarah sat down. "Order anything you want," he told her as he took his seat. Sarah picked up the menu and saw that it wouldn't matter anyway because there was no prices beside the entrees. "You look amazing," he said suddenly, smiling at her. Sarah smiled in turn, "Thank you. You look handsome." Craig grinned and thanked her. Then they grew silent while looking over the menu. Sarah was a little out of her element. She couldn't recall anyone ever treating her . . well . . like a lady. All of the guys she had dated previously hadn't pulled out her chairs or opened her doors. And none of them had ever taken her to such an expensive restaurant. She had to admit, she liked it quite a bit. Craig was a perfect gentleman and it didn't hurt that he had looks as well. His hair was a thick sandy color and his eyes a brillant blue. He wore glasses but they were wire-frames and made him look more scholarly. Once the waiter had taken their orders, they fell into a conversation about politics. Sarah was a democrat but Craig was a republican, so they argued a little but nothing that either actually got angry about. When the food was served, Craig displayed perfect manners and Sarah appreciated that but felt a little out of her league. Craig had been obviously raised with money and all that it could buy. Sarah had been middle class growing up and was barely managing to hang on to that rung on the social ladder now. "Any siblings?" he asked, carefully cutting his salad. "No, I'm an only child," Sarah replied, selfconsciously spearing a piece of lettue and eating it. "I have an older sister, Linda. She used to make me play dress up with her," Craig said, laughing. Sarah laughed too, picturing a small blonde boy wearing a dress or some other feminine clothing piece. "When I was ten and she was fourteen, she put make-up on me," he continued, "That's when my father intervened and saved me. He told her that I wasn't a doll but a boy." They chatted about their families through the rest of dinner. When they were done eating, Craig paid for the meal and then quickly rose to assist Sarah out of her chair and help her into her coat. He opened the door of the restaurant and then the car door for her as all. "Do you want me to drop you off at home or take you back to the coffee shop?" he asked, getting into the car. "I suppose you can take me home," she said and he smiled. "Good, I was a little worried about you walking the streets at this hour," he said, starting up the car. As he drove, Sarah thought about what a wonderful time she had had. She wondered briefly if she and Craig would begin dating. She could see them dating and how wonderful it would be, like tonight. But all of the glitter had to rub off at some point, didn't it?

Febuary
"Which floor is the law firm of Fallon, Grayson, and Bennet located on?" Sarah asked the woman at the front desk. Without looking up from typing, she answered, "Second floor, suit 26." Sarah thanked her and hurried over to the elevator. Once she was on the second floor, she went straight to suit 26. A young man was seat at the desk immediately inside the door, talking on the phone. He hung up as Sarah approached him, "Which office belongs to Craig Benningfield?" "Third door on the left," he replied picking up the phone as it rang again. "Come on it," Craig called after she had knocked on his door. "Hello, honey," he said as she walked in. "Hey," Sarah replied, hugging him once he had reached her. "What brings you here?" he asked, smiling. "Well, tomorrow is V-Day and I know that you're going to be in court so I thought we would celebrate early," she answered, "I have us a table at Perry's for twelve thirty." Craig hugged her tighter, "How sweet." Sarah smiled, pleased with herself. "Just let me tell Joe where I'm going and we can leave," he added, releasing her. Sarah followed him into the office next door. She was surprised to see the man from Club M sitting at the desk, writting something down on a piece of paper. He was dressed in a somber brown suit and had since shaved off his goatee; he seemed more controlled, less carefree. He looked up at them, a slightly confused expression on his face. "Sarah, meet Joey Buchanan. Joe, this is Sarah Tate, my girlfriend," Craig said, smiling from one to the other. "You shaved off your goatee," Sarah said before she realized it. Joey frowned and gave her a bizarre look, "I have never had a goatee." Sarah disagreed, "You did a few months ago at Club M. You and a woman helped my friend and me get in. Remember?" Joey's frown deepened and Craig asked, "You two know one another?" Suddenly Joey laughed, "You must have met my twin brother, Jamie." "Oh," Sarah said, nodding. That made sense. "He's the more flamboyant twin; he parties, club hops, ect," Joey went on, shrugging. "I see. And you're the conserative twin," Sarah added and Joey nodded in agreement. "Yup. So, now that that is straightened out. What do you do for a living?" he asked, stretching a little in his seat. "I am a freelance photographer," Sarah replied. "Freelance?" Joey's frown returned, "As in legal talk for unemployeed, right?" "That would be correct," Sarah answered, trying to not sound defensive, "I just sold some pictures to World Traveler but nothing steady." "Her photgraphs are amazing," Craig put in and Sarah had forgottened that he was even there. Joey was quiet for a moment, studying Sarah. Then he said, "You know, I might be able to help you." Sarah was surprised, "Really?" "My brother, whom you apparently already know, is friends with some models. He was gripping to me quite recently about the lack of talented photographers. Might you be interested in taking pictures for fashsion magazines and the like?" he asked, watching her closely. "I'm interested in whatever pays the bills," Sarah told him, causing him and Craig both to laugh. "See why I like her so much? Such wit," Craig said, hugging her to him.

"Listen to me, Charlotte. I am sick of your promises. They have turned out to be nothing but lies," Sarah said, shifting the phone as she poured some tea into a cup. "Screw that. I have been broke for the last few months because of you," she went on, putting the tea back in the fridge and shutting the door, "I'm just now starting to get myself back into the positive money wise and I sure as hell ain't going to let you throw me back into negative numbers." She paused and listened for a few moments and then exploded, "NO MORE! I am not going to listen to your stupid advice anymore. I'm through! Go find yourself another fool!" With that, she hung up the phone. Sighing deeply, she realized how good it had felt to tell Charlotte off. "Should have done that months ago," she muttered, grinning. The phone rang but she ignored it, figuring it was Charlotte calling back. She sat down on her couch and was relaxing when her answering machine picked up. A moment later she heard an unfamilar voice speaking, "Ms. Tate? This is K.C McClemmons, the owner of the Bella Modeling Agency. Call me back at 385-2765. It's about a possible job." Sarah had started running toward the phone the moment she had heard 'Ms. Tate' but she reached the phone right as the woman hung up. "Damn it," she muttered, angry with herself. She picked up the phone and hit replay on the machine to get the number. A few rings later, she was speaking with K.C McClemmons. "Ms. Tate, a friend of mine suggested that I give you a try," she said right off and Sarah wondered how she had known it was her. "Really?" Sarah asked. "Yes, one of my photographers is having a baby and won't be back for at least three months so I need someone to fill. Can you come down to the studio later today? Around four?" she said, sounding a little distracted. "Sure," Sarah said immediately. "Great. See you then," she said and then hung up. Sarah was surprised that Joey had apparently actually done as he had said. She had gotten the feeling that he was willingly to help her only because he wanted her working so Craig wasn't keeping her up. It was an insult to her; as much as Craig had offered to give her money, she had always refused because she didn't want him thinking that she was using him and now, dispite her efforts, his co-worker thought it anyway. Oh, well. It doesn't matter because I might have a steady job, she told herself, Things could start looking up. She killed some time until four and then headed out to the studio.

"K.C Tanya called in. She's got a cold," a woman called as K.C and Sarah walked down a hallway. "Then call Jennifer!" K.C yelled back with no hesitation. Sarah had to dodge several people as she followed K.C to a large room. Sarah had to admit, she was sort of impressed with things so far. The building was obviously in wonderful shape, the inside clean and decorated beautifully. She was most surprised though by K.C McClemmons. In her experience, all modeling agencies were owned by ex-models or women who could have been models. K.C clearly wasn't either of those, not to say that she wasn't attractive; she was just attractive in an Amazon sort of way. Sarah was 5'5 and K.C towered over her by nearly a foot. Her black hair was braided into individual strands instead of one braid and her black eyes gleamed like dew covered coal. She was dressed in a clingy white silk dress with faint purple and blue roses and wore no shoes, no jewerly graced her except for a single gold toe ring on her left foot. "If you please wait by this camera, I must go and do something," K.C said, stopping beside a camera set up on a trifold. Sarah nodded and K.C hurried out of the room. The large room remained empty except for Sarah for several moments. Then, two women walked in, talking. One was dressed in Westren style and other was wearing an evening gown. K.C was right behind them. "Kerri, Paige, this is Sarah. Sarah, this is Kerri and Paige, the models you will be working with today," K.C said, gesturing first to the one in Westren dress and then to the other in the evening gown. Both Kerri and Paige said hello to Sarah and she replied back with a hello of her own. "I want to see how well you take photographs as well as how creative you are," K.C explained, "So I want you to take some pictures of the two of them and I want it to be clear why they're in a picture together." Sarah nodded, "Okay." "You may have use of any props that you need," K.C added before leaving. Kerri and Paige were watching Sarah with curiousity. "Well?" Paige asked after a moment. Sarah was deep in thought and Paige's voice pulled her out of it, "Huh?" "What do you want us to do?" Kerri asked, shifting her hat back. Sarah bit her lower lip and then asked, "Any chance there's a guy here that would be willingly to get in the photographs?" she asked, "A man in a suit or who could get into a suit?" About ten minutes later, Paige was leading a man in. "You said he had to be in a suit, you never said he had to look good," she said, obviously teasing the man because he laughed and shrugged. "We can't all look as good as you, Princess Paige," he said, smiling. He looked to Sarah and added, "I'm Damien." "Sarah," Sarah replied and then turned to Kerri, "Give him your hat." Kerri handed it over and Damien automatically put it. It was a little small but Sarah decided it would work. While Paige had gone in search of their man, she and Kerri had looked for an appropiate background among the screens hanging in the back of the room. "Now if you all will help me set up this screen, I believe we're almost ready to get to work," she said, gesturing.

"Sweethearts, how have you all been?" a vaguely familar voice called out. Sarah stepped back from the camera and looked over to the doorway. The man from the club had came in, K.C at his side. K.C had been pleased with her pictures and had hired Sarah to take pictures for the models' portfolios so they could have some examples of ther work to show to possible clients. The model behind the camera at the present moment was a slender blonde named Andrea, better known as Andy. And she was no longer paying an attention to Sarah. "Andy?" she called and Andy's head snapped back over. "Sorry," she muttered and resumed her previous pose. Once she was done and Andy had walked off the sheet, K.C called for Sarah. Sarah walked over, wondering if the man would recongize her. "Jamie, meet Sarah Tate, the photograph you asked me to try out," K.C said and Jamie's face broke out into a wide grin. "Hello Sarah," he said, "Joey thought you might have been lying about Club M but now that I'm looking at you, I do remember. There was two of you, right? A friend?" Sarah nodded, "Yes. My friend, Felicia, was with me." Like before, Jamie was dressed in designer clothes: a white polo shirt, tight blue jeans and brown lofters. Liz, K.C's assistant, stuck her head into the room, "Vince just called. He needs three models: one blonde, one redhead, and one brunette by Tuesday at the latest." K.C nodded, "I'll have them to him by Monday." Liz turned and left. Then K.C turned to Jamie, "So, where's Adrien?" "She should be here any minute now," he replied, looking down at his watch, a Rolex. Sarah, sensing that her presence was no longer required, walked back over to her camera. Jennifer was already standing on the sheet, dressed in a bathing suit. "K.C said that I needed a wider varity of shots," she explained, "All of mine are of gowns and casual clothes." Sarah nodded, "Okay, we'll fix that problem." It took about twenty minutes or so to finish Jennfier's shoot. Once they were done, Jennifer hurried off to change back into her 'street clothes'. Sarh turned off the lights and the camera. Then she stretched, lifting her hands high above her head while arching her back. "I suppose your body does cramp up after being hunkered down behind the camera for so long," someone mussed, causing Sarah to look over. She immediately recongized the woman as the woman with Jamie at Club M but experience had taught her to keep her mouth shut less she make a fool of herself, again. Instead she merely agreed, "Yea, it does." The woman held out her hand, "I'm Adrien Foxxwood." Sarah shook it, "Sarah Tate." "Well, Ms. Tate. I heard that K.C hired you. Congratulations as she doesn't hire nearly as easily as she fires," Adrien said, smiling. "Thank you, Ms. Foxxwood. And please, call me Sarah," Sarah said, returning the warm smile and wondered if any of these people owned anything off the rack for Adrien was dressed in faded jeans with a red sweater sleeved vest over a white dress shirt and heeled black boots. "Only if you call me Adrien," Adrien replied as Jamie came back in. "K.C wants to see you in her office, darling," he announced. Adrien nodded and walked toward the door. Sarah watched as Jamie took Adrien's arm and escorted her out. Sarah couldn't figure out of Jamie was gay or if he and Adrien were a couple; he gave off the 'gay' vibe but his attitude with her suggested devotion and affection.

April
"Honey, go ahead. Open it," Craig urged, a happy gleam in his eyes. Sarah grinned and then began to carefully tear the paper. "How long does it take you to open your presents on Christmas morning?" he demanded, lauging. So Sarah ripped it open much to his amusment. It was their five month anniversity and apparently Craig had brought something he was quite proud of. Sarah frowned when she came to the box, "A cordless phone?" Craig laughed, "Open the box." So Sarah opened it and pulled out what seemed like a ton of tissue paper. Once she was done, there was nothing in the box. She looked up at Craig, "Honey, I think someone ripped out off." "No, they didn't," he replied, holding up a tiny black box, "That was merely a distraction." Sarah's heart stopped, unsure of how she felt. "Honey, relax," Craig told her, opening the box, "It's not an engagement ring. It's a promise ring." Sarah's heart started again and she breathed deeply. "Don't you think we're a little old for promise rings?" she joked as he slid it on her right ring finger. "I wanted to give you an engagement ring but I knew you wouldn't accept it, not yet," he replied, "So this was the next best thing." Sarah looked down and saw that it was a beautiful ring, gold with a small emeral cut diamond embedded into the band. "It's gorgerous," she said softly. Craig grinned, "Not nearly as gorgerous as you." Sarah smiled and shook her head. "You're too smooth for your own good," she told him before hugging him. After they had kissed, Sarah leaned back, "I hate to run off but I have work." Craig sighed and nodded. "So do I," he said and then asked,"Why don't we play hooky?" "Because I'm only been there for two months and I can't afford to blow it," Sarah answered, standing up. Craig rose and picked up the phone box and the tissue paper. "When will you get off work?" he asked, tossing the box and paper into the trash can. Sarah shrugged, "I have no idea." "Well, call me if you're not too tired. We can got out for dinner," he said and Sarah nodded. "Sounds great," she said, taking her coat off the rack and beginning to put it on. Craig quickly came over and helped her. "Thank you," she said as he gave her a kiss on the cheek. "Thank you for the kiss or for helping with your coat?" he asked, smiling. "Both,' Sarah replied, making him laugh.

"Where's Hector?" Tanya demanded, eyeing Sarah with a disapproving look. "Hector's got the flu, so he's at home. Sarah's filling in for him in the meantime," Damien explained, "Now, can we get to work?" Tayna shrugged and threw back her long blonde locks and replied in a haughty tone, "I suppose so." Sarah managed not to roll her eyes and got into position behind the camera. When she had came in, K.C had told her that Hector, another photographer, was ill. So Sarah was filling in for both Cathy, the new mother, and sick Hector. Since Hector mostly did shoots for magazines such as Vogue and Fashion Today, Sarah was given the pleasure of working with Tanya Parker, the most in demand model that K.C had working for her. And the one with the bitchest attitude. "Tanya's got a diva complex," Paige had told Sarah after she was done shooting Paige's pictures for Sunset Strip, a bathing suit magazine, "Thinks she's hot stuff because she does more shoots and makes more money than any of the rest of us." And now Sarah was experiencing it firsthand. Hector's room was across from hers and she could often hear Tanya screaming about something: wrong color dress, wrong lighting, ect. She had felt bad for Hector. Last week had been a week of peace because K.C had sent Tanya, Jennifer, and Adrien to Mandrid to model some clothes by Spanish designer, Migual Vega, but they had flown back in yesterday and all three had been at the studio when Sarah had came in that morning. "I'm not sure that Damien is the right man for this shoot. He's too pretty," Tanya said as Sarah was about to ask them to pose. She sighed and straighten up. "K.C said that you and Damien were to be in this shoot," she told Tanya, "Now, pose." She lowered back down and through the viewfinder saw that Tanya had her arms crossed, a sour look on her face. Suddenly, she screamed, K.C!" Sarah rolled her eyes and stood up. A few moments later, K.C came in, "What?" "I can't work this woman," Tanya said simply. K.C looked to Sarah and then back to Tanya, "And why can't you?" "I made a suggestion and she refused to even consider it," Tanya replied, glaring at Sarah, Damien spoke up, "Tanya doesn't want me in the shoot." "I can't believe this," K.C muttered under her breath and then said, in a louder voice, "Tanya, Damien's in this shoot. You're just going to have to deal with it." Tanya gave a small cry and made a face. Sarah was reminded of a teenaged cheerleader pitching a fit and nearly laughed. "Or I can have Adrien do the shoot instead," K.C went on. "No! I'll do it," Tanya said quickly. K.C nodded, "That's what I thought." She left, leaving Sarah alone with Tanya and Damien once more. Tanya snapped at Sarah, "Well? Let's get on with it!" "Get into position and I will start," Sarah replied before looking through the viewfinder. Damien laughed and Tanya gave him a nasty look.

Sarah shifted the phone, "Craig? Honey, I'm not going to be able to come over tonight." "Why? Too busy?" he asked and she could hear the tv playing faintly in the background. "Sort of. Some of the girls from the studio asked me to go out to eat with them," Sarah explained, hoping he woundn't be mad with her. "That's fine, honey. We can get together tomorrow night or something. It wasn't like we had definate plans," he said and Sarah was relieved. "Well, I'll call you later," she said, "Love you." "Love you, honey. Have fun," he replied and then they hung up. "Come in, Sarah. You're going to freeze to death out here!" Kerri called out the door of the cafe. Sarah laughed but Kerri had a point; for April, it was cold out. She went in and saw that they had pushed a couple of tables together so everyone could all fit. "Had to call your man, let him know he'd have to wait for that backrub?" Paige teased as Sarah took her seat. "Actually, he gives me backrubs," Sarah replied and they all laughed. "Marry that man, sweetie. You'll never find another one like him," Jamie advised as the waitor approached them. Sarah wondered if she had lied to Craig when she said girls from the studio. Jamie was a guy sure but everyone else was female. And it wasn't Sarah was interested in Jamie or vice verus. "Hello, what can I get you all to drink?" the waitor asked, smiling at them. "Lemon water," Kerri said and Paige nodded. "Make that two," she said. "Sweet tea," Adrien said. "Coffee," Andy said, yawning. "Yea, you need that coffe. Don't call me at three in morning when you can't sleep," Paige said to her, laughing. "Give me a Pesi," Sarah told him. Jamie frowned and then said, "I guess I want an iced water." The waitor wrote all of that down and then walked away. "So, you worked with Tanya the Terror the last few days," Andy said, her tone sympathic. "Yea. I don't see how Hector deals with her daily," Sarah said, shaking her head. "I warned you that she was a bitch," Paige said, pointing her finger at Sarah. "I wish K.C would fire her," Kerri muttered. "She won't though unless Tanya does something extremely bad becase Tanya brings in the money," Andy said, "That's the way it works." The waitor came back with their drinks and then left. As he walked away, Jamie muttered, "What a fine hunk of manhood." Sarah looked at him, "I thought you were dating Adrien." Adrien had just taken a drink of her tea and began to choke because she was laughing. After making sure that Adrien was okay, Jamie looked at Sarah, "No. Adrien is just my best friend. You're met my brother, right?" Sarah nodded. "Well, I am supposed to the priest to my brother's lawyer. I'm a gay actor instead," he said simply. Sarah was confused and Adrien was still laughing. So was Kerri and Paige. "I thought it was obvious that Jamie was gay," Andy mussed, dumping creamer into her coffee. "My father wanted Joey to become a lawyer and he wanted me to become a priest. Well Joey obviously became a lawyer but priesthood wasn't for me," Jamie went on, explaining, "I was too flashy to be a priest. Plus, I don't think that the Catholic Chruch would like having a homosexual priest." "What happened when you told your parents?" Sarah asked. "When my parents found out that I was gay, they were thrilled. My father was so happy, he cried," Jamie replied, laughing. "I love the sarcasm, don't you?" Adrien asked, tugging on one of Jamie's curls.

May
"Hey, Sarah! There's some guy out front asking about you!" Damien called as he passed her door on his way to Hector's room. "I'll be right back," she promised Angel. "Don't rush," he told her as she went out into the hall. Craig was waiting by Liz's desk, talking to her, " . . . . border collie, right?" Liz nodded, "Her name's Dacy. We've had her for three years." "Hey," Sarah called as she neared. "Here's the girl!" Craig said, walked forward and hugging her. "This is a nice surprise," Sarah said, "But why are you here?" Craig looked at Liz, "Do all of the workers here get so worried when their boyfriend shows up?"Liz laughed, "Depends on which boyfriend it is." "Oh? So Sarah has other boyfriends showing up here to see her?" he asked, his tone teasing. "I don't think you have much to worry about. The other man is at least sixty and bound to die any day now with his heart condition." Liz assured him, "I think Sarah's wearing him out." They all laughed and then Craig turned back to Sarah, "I came to take you out for lunch." Sarah bit her lower lip, "Okay. Just let me finish shooting this set and we can go." "Can I come and watch?" he asked, smiling. Sarah didn't know and she looked at Liz who nodded. "Okay," she said, taking his hand and leading him back to her room. As they walked into her room, Tanya began screaming Hector's room. Craig winiced, "Don't tell me you have to work with the person who owns those lungs." "I did last month for like four days. It was pure hell," Sarah replied and then let go of his hand to return to the camera. Angel had changed his swimming trunks again, this time into camo blue and white ones. "I like these better than the hot pink ones," he told her. Sarah nodded, "Me too." He picked up the surf board and Sarah stepped behind the camera. After fifteen minutes of shooting, Angel declared that that should be enough for his portfolio. "Thanks," he said as he walked off the sheet. "No problem," Sarah replied before turning back to where Craig stood. To her surprise, Adrien stood with him. They were talking but it was obviously that they had both been watching her. Sarah hurried over to them and announced, "I'm done." "I see that," Craig replied, smiling at her. "Sarah, I was wondering if you might take some new photographs for my portfolio," Adrien said, turning to her. "No problem. But right now, we're going out to eat some lunch however after lunch . . ," Sarah said and then shook her head," Actually, after lunch I'm shooting Bryce and Jennifer for that perfume ad. Can it wait?" Adrien smiled, "Yea, we'll work something out." She turned to Craig, "Nice meeting you." Craig nodded, "Likewise." "Well, I'm off to Hector's room. Wish me luck," Adrien said and Sarah laughed. "Good luck," she called as Adrien walked out of the room. Once she was gone, Angel came back out, dressed in jeans but no shirt. "I'm losing my tan," he complained, pointing to his arm. Sarah frowned, "Angel, you're Hispanic. You're naturally tan." Angel laughed, "I know. I was making fun of Tanya." "Who's Tanya?" Craig asked, confused. "The owner of those lungs," Sarah said as, right on cue, Tanya began to pitch a fit. "Oh," Craig said, nodding. Angel laughed again, "That's one response. Not the typical response but a response."

"Need some help?" Adrien asked, coming in as Sarah was slidding the camera back. "I've got it now," Sarah replied, stopping. Then she looked at Adrien, "Ready for your shoot?" Adrien nodded and held up a bag, "Let me go change and then we can get to work." A few minutes later, Adrien came back out and stepped onto the sheet. Sarah was surprised, "That's what you want you want to wear for this shoot?" Adrien nodded, "Most of my photographs in my portfolio aren't casual." Sarah sighed, "Okay." She got into position behind the camera and Adrien immediately struck a pose. She jammed her hands into the pockets of her faded jeans, which were obviously off rack and lowered her head and then lifted it slightly, smiling warmly at the camera. Her hair was falling across her face, causing shadows. The look, jeans, and plain white t-shirt set it all off; she looked sweet and innocent. "Very girl next door," Sarah commented, snapping the shot, "I love it." Next, Adrien pulled her hair back with a black clip and returned to the sheet. She turned sideways, stretching as she released her hair from the clip, causing it to tumble around her frame. Sarah snapped away as Adrien did various poses with various hairstyles and attitudes. At one point, she put a chair on the sheet and straddled it backwards, propped her arms on the back of it, extending them out from her, looking intently at the camera. "The camera loves you," Sarah muttered. She had never shot Adrien before and hadn't realized what a natural model she was. Suddenly, Adrien left the sheet and went back to the cd player. Sarah turned to watch her and a few moments later, rock music began playing. "Put the camera on auto and come get in the picture with me," Adrien suggested as she walked back over to the sheet. Sarah frowned, "K.C doesn't want her film wasted on me." "K.C doesn't care. She lets Jamie get in pictures with me all the time and he always makes a face or something," Adrien replied, motioning her forward. "Alright," Sarah said, pressing the necessary buttons to set the camera up to take a series of pictures on its own. While she was doing that, Adrien began singing along with the music: "If your body matches what your eyes can do you'll probably move right through me on my way to you. " "Quick suggestion: stick to your modeling job," Sarah told her as she joined her on the sheet. Adrien rolled her eyes, "Everyone's a critic." "Now why am I in this picture again?" Sarah asked, gesturing toward the camera. "Because you're beautiful and the camera's going to adore you, that's why," Adrien told her, "Besides, no one should be stuck on one side of the camera without ever experiencing the other side." That made sense to Sarah and soon they were posing in all sorts of ways: headbanging, dancing, jumping, ect. Sarah could imagine the look on the film developer's face when he developed this particular roll of film. They laughed and teased each other as the camera took picture after picture. Adrien shifted to face Sarah. "Opps, there's something in your hair," Sarah said, noticing the small piece of what appered to be lint. She moved closer and reached up to remove it. As she drew her hand away, Adrien's hand suddenly grabbed her wrist. Startled, Sarah looked up into Adrien's eyes. What she saw in them had her swallowing hard. They stood like that for a moment and then the camera began to go click click click. "The camera's run out of film," Sarah said as Adrien released her wrist. She hurried over it and shut it off. Adrien was still standing in the middle of the sheet, watching Sarah. Softly Sarah said, "Adrien, I can't." Just as the words were fading into nothing, Andy appered in the door. She shook her head and demanded, "Don't you guys break for lunch?"

"Sarah, when I first hired you, I told you that you were replacing Cathy until she was able to return to work," K.C began and Sarah had a sinking feeling in the pit of her stomach. "And Cathy's coming back, so my job is nonexistanct," she filled in, starting to stand. "Sit back down," K.C ordered and Sarah immediately did so. "Yes, Cathy is coming back and yes, her job will be returned to her," K.C said, "But you're not being fired or laid off or whatever." Sarah was surprised, "Really?" "I don't toy with people's livihoods, their jobs. If you no longer had a place here, a job, I would let you know so you could find another one," K.C replied, her voice firm. Then Sarah sighed, "You're going to have me haul props around, right? Assist one of the photographers?" K.C rolled her eyes. "If you would shut up, you would know what I have in store for you," she said, sounding a little annoyed. Sarah kept her mouth shut and waited. K.C smiled, "It has been brought to my attention that you have considerable talent, talent that has been wasted merely taking portfolio shots. So, I would like to hire you as another magazine photographer." "Like Hector?" Sarah asked, amazed. K.C nodded, "Yes, like Hector." Sarah's eyes widened and she smiled. "Wow, I don't know what to . . thank you. Thank you," she said, rambling. "Hold on," K.C said, "It's not all good. Because you're going to be shooting for magazines, you will be working with certain models who hold certain ideas about themselves." "Meaning Tanya," Sarah said and K.C nodded. "And Jennifer can be quite a bitch when she wants to as well. I just want you to realize that this may not be as gold-plated as it seems," she said, looking directly at Sarah. "I know that. I've heard Hector complain enough but I really like working here with some exceptions and I'd have hating having to get another job working somewhere else," Sarah said, causing K.C to smile. "Glad to know that my models have such loyality in you," she said and then her phone rang. "Have someone help you move a camera and other necessary items into the empty room next to Hector; that room is now yours," she said before picking up the phone. Sarah walked out and shut the door behind her. "Did she fire you?" Liz asked, looking quite concerned. "No, I think she promoted me," Sarah replied and Liz smiled and clapped. "The girls are going to be so thrilled," she said, sounding sure. Sarah nodded and then went down the hall. Kerri was standing out in the hall, talking on her cell phone. When she saw Sarah, she quickly got off and hung it up, "Well?" "Can you help me move a camera and some other stuff into that room?" Sarah asked instead of replying. "We're moving your stuff into another room? Is that good?" Kerri asked, frowning. "It's good. I am going to be relieving Hector of some of the magazine work load," Sarah said and a huge grin broke out on Kerri's face. "That's great!" she explained. Before Sarah could stop her, she opened the door to Hector's room and yelled inside, "Sarah's staying!" Sarah shook her head and laughed but in truth, it made her feel good. She was staying.

© Copyright 2007 bittersweetdreams (untamed at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1329242-A-Year-in-the-Life-of-Sarah-Pt1