*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1331527-While-You-Were-in-Vietnam
by DocP
Rated: E · Other · Tribute · #1331527
Reflections about Vietnam Veterans
While You Were in Vietnam

While you were in Vietnam in 1964-1966 losing your innocence of childhood, know that you were appreciated while I was still innocent in elementary school.  Even then, I heard of you on black and white television.  Walter Cronkite told me of your sacrifices and although you didn’t know me, I looked up to you.   

While you were in Vietnam in 1967-1969 losing innocence, losing limbs, and losing friends, know that you were appreciated while I was also losing my innocence in junior high school.  I saw you on television, we listened to the same music, and I looked up to you.  I looked up to my cousin who had just returned from your war.  He was different.

While you were in Vietnam in 1970-1974 losing your innocence, losing your life, and gaining new strength, just know that you were appreciated while I was running free in high school.  I clearly saw you on television and wondered if I would be seeing you there myself.  You didn’t know me then either and I looked up to you.

While you were returning from Vietnam, trying to adjust to the “World” you left behind, I was the one on active duty.  I no longer saw you on television but I knew you were there.  I promised to always remember…to never forget.  You didn’t know me then, but from my Minuteman II ICBM missile launch control center (LCC), I stood alert so you no longer had to worry about your back.  I had it.  From my launch control console 60 feet underground or from my mobile LCC with the Ground Launched Cruise Missile, I looked up to you.

While you were adjusting to life after your war, I was adjusting to mine after MY “Cold War.”  I didn’t see you and you didn’t see me, but we somehow knew each other was there.  We were both being protected by others who somehow looked up to us and said, “rest…I have the watch…you need not worry.”  I not only looked up to you, but to them as well. 

So, here we are.  I am still your little brother looking up and respecting you for your sacrifices.  And although you don’t always like to be acknowledged for your “suffering” or for your selfless acts that were truly “heroic,” know that they are to me.  I have earned the right to acknowledge you for the true resilient spirit that defines who you have become.  I know you…crew chief/door gunners; helicopter pilots; donut dollies; nurses and ground pounders of all types.  Each one of you has come alive in my world and I am enriched because of it.  It is an honor to call you “friend.” 
© Copyright 2007 DocP (docp at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1331527-While-You-Were-in-Vietnam