*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1333632-We-knew-a-saint
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Article · Biographical · #1333632
Great woman of faith...
Ariella Gibson
Columnist

One man in a wheelchair, another playing an electric guitar, and 24 others, all between the ages of 50 and 100, sang “What a Day That Will Be” and “Going Home” in memory of our beloved Billie Ruth.

The group, St. James Male Chorus of Chester, SC, led by Billie Ruth’s son, Joe Furr, had visited Pineville Church of the Nazarene many times at Billie Ruth’s request.

But this time she wasn’t there, at least not physically.

Willie Ruth Perry Furr, known to family and friends as Billie Ruth, passed away Thu, Sep 6 at the age of 87.

A member of Pineville Church of the Nazarene for 71 years, Billie Ruth served as Church Treasurer for 50 years, Sunday School Superintendent for 55 years and Sunday School Teacher for 55 years.

When she was very young she began raising money to build the first Pineville Church of the Nazarene on Dover Street, which then moved to Gay Street. More recently, she raised over $62,000 in the 1970’s to help build the building we now worship in.

The Pineville Church and Billie Ruth’s immediate family was informed about a week before her death that we would lose her soon.

“She transferred her membership from Pineville Nazarene straight into Heaven,” said her granddaughter, Cindy Furr.

One of the many who went to visit her was Pastor Mark Barnes, who also spoke at the memorial service Sep 8.

“I said a simple prayer, kissed her on her forehead, and walked out, never to see her again. No, that’s wrong, I will see her again, and I’ll see her soon,” he said.

The service also included music by the St. James Male Chorus, scripture and comments by Reverend Dewey Wise.

Cindy and Sharon Furr, her two granddaughters, spoke at the service about what it was like growing up with her around. They recalled many memories of afternoons at her house.

She taught them to ride their bikes, sew, read, tie their shoes and quote the books of the bible. They helped her count church money and make posters for Vacation Bible School.

She took them to Braves’ games, the local Park and Shop where she worked, Raymond Gray Store on Nations Ford Road for ice cream, Burger King for a Whopper and Grandfather Mountain where they always stopped at KFC.

She was also a disciple and prayer warrior.

If you asked her what you should do about something, she’d spend several nights praying about it before she’d give you an answer. She wore out the carpet beside her bed because she spent so many sleepless nights in prayer.

“If it’s possible for anybody to pray somebody else into Heaven, that would’ve been my grandmomma,” said Cindy.

A role model and grandmother to everyone who knew her, Billie Ruth knew how to work a phone. She’d call, sing to you, recite a verse to encourage you and tell you she loved you, all in about 10 minutes, then she’d hang up and do it all again for someone else.

“She would insist that no one need leave here today a sinner,” said Barnes “and there’s no place else that someone like her should be, except in Heaven with the God she loves.”

She loved everyone, and she’d go out of her way to serve and encourage those around her. She was Jesus to all, no matter who you were or what it took.

“She was God’s and God’s alone,” said Barnes.



I love this quote, anywhere I can put it???

“Momma, when you get there, tell the Lord we need some rain!” said Joe, her son.
© Copyright 2007 CarolinaDreamer (nazchik at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1333632-We-knew-a-saint