*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1336197-Diaries-of-a-Twin
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Educational · #1336197
story of the life of twin sisters during the revolutionary war
                                      January 15, 1775
          “ All  aboard for the Americas !” , yelled the  conductor ; as we the Nightingale sisters boarded with our parents. The Americas a beautiful ship to take us to the new world. The land  where dreams are said to come true , for that would be great for all of us. This will be the adventure of our lives.  My sister and I are identical twins. We are 16 and tired of hearing talk of marriage. Lonna and myself are fiery redheads and the only way to tell us apart is I have curly hair and hers is straight. Excuse me, I haven’t introduced my self ,I am Layla Dawn Nightingale.
                               
                                    January 18 , 1775
        I don’t know what it was, our pretty green eyes or our beautiful looks , but today we met two gorgeous twins. Their names are William and Alexander Taylor. We  have never felt this way for any other guys before. Alexander , whom is interested in me, is tall with dirty blonde hair and deep blue eyes you could just fall into. Then there’s William , who fell head over hills for Lonna , he is tall with ocean blue eyes to die for and has short black hair. It’s time for dinner and we eat with the captain so I have to look my best.
                                        Still the 18th 
        I hadn’t planned on writing again today but I had to write this down before I forget (though I don’t think I could ) . Tonight at dinner my family sat with the Taylor family and our parents got to talking. Them talking wasn’t the problem it was what they were talking about. It was horrible they wouldn’t stop talking of marriage ,children ,and how wonderful it would be to all be related. Lonna and I almost spit our drinks everywhere. Not only was it completely humiliating that our parents would speak of something like that at dinner , but in front of Alexander and William . It was the worst night of our lives. The only good thing was Will and Alex asked us to dance.
                                    February 2,1775
        We’ve been on the ship for about 19 days now. Most days I love it out on the open sea, others I miss the land. Each day feels longer than the next. It is a good thing I am in good company with people I love. I don’t know what I would do if I had to take this journey alone.
                               
                                  February 21, 1775
      Today Alexander and I went for a walk around the ship . For once we actually got to just talk. He is so smart and funny , I learned so much about him and his family. I think it was the best time I’ve had in a long time. Sadly , nothing perfect stays perfect. A beautiful day turned into a terrible storm. We were forced back inside.
                                    February 23,1775
        The winds are horrible and the waves so angry . The ship is rocking back and forth ;people are getting sick from all the motion. Thankfully I haven’t gotten sick yet. I hope tomorrow is better.
                               
                                    February 26,1775 
      The waves have finally calmed down and the rains have stopped .I hope this is the last time I ever have to ride a ship again. These last three days have been miserable for everyone on the ship. Those were examples of “ days I miss land” . I miss the beach, the grass, and the  rainbows of flowers. I miss the games I played with all my friends back home in Ireland and good unspoiled food with a tall glass of wonderful sweet tea. Oh ! Now I can’t wait to see, to touch land again.
                                 
                                        March 10,1775 
      Finally , the news I was waiting for………land. Land was in site and not to far. But this was not just any land …..it was the New World. The land built on hope and promise ; finally we’ve reached our paradise. The first thing I am going to do when I get of this death trap of a ship is kiss the ground I have so sleeplessly longed for. I am so glad to see everyone’s smiles again.  The port we are landing in is in Charleston , South Carolina.
                               
                                          March 16, 1775
    There are so many wonderful things here. Things like elegant dresses , beautiful bonnets , lovely horses with their beautiful carriages behind them , and there are so many people in one place. This place is so different is so different than what I’m used to back home. We’ve been staying at Meg’s Hotel and Saloon. Father and some other men went to find a good place to build a big plantation. Momma doesn’t like staying in this hotel so she told father we might go stay at Aunt Malinda’s plantation for a while. Just until we get a new house I hope , her plantation is so small I don’t think it’s big enough for the four of us. Momma said in our new home we will all have our own rooms . She also said that it would be the biggest and best plantation we’ve ever seen.
                           
                                        March 20, 1775
      Well momma got tired of being at the hotel. She said she felt like she was in prison. I don’t see how being at Aunt Milinda’s is any different. The rooms we have at here are just as small as the ones at the hotel. Anyways, Lonna and I miss our handsome companions, William and Alexander. I wish our house was finished. I don’t know how much longer I can stay here.
                                       
                                              April 2, 1775
    Father came and got us yesterday. Finally ! Our house is finished and ready for us to live in. Father said that he had a surprises for everyone, but especially Lonna and I. We are so excited !  We are trying so hard to guess what are presents are.  Father gave us a clue it goes : as we ride along we won’t let you fall we have come to call.  I think I know but I wont say.  I want it to be a surprise. 
                                 
                                            April 3, 1775
    It took all day and night but our house is finally in sight .  Mother was right it’s huge.  It really is the biggest house I have ever seen.  Father still won’t tell us our surprises.  I am so happy!  We are in a new land of wonders and it seems just perfect.                 
                                             
                                          April 5, 1775
      Our surprise was the best even though we haven’t received all of it yet.  First, father took us around the back of the house to a big red barn. He  opened the doors and inside were three beautiful mares.  Two white and one tan. Oh! They are the most magnificent creatures I have ever seen.  He said they weren’t our only presents but the others must not have arrived yet. 
                           
                                          April 10, 1775
      Everyone is so happy here ,especially Lonna and I .  Other “presents” finally arrived . Lonna , mother and I  had gone to the market .  When we came back William and Alexander Taylor was sitting  on the front porch.  Lonna and I were so excited!  I think that was the best hug I have ever had. I didn’t know how much I missed him until I saw him. By the look in Lonna’s eyes I know she felt the same.
                       
                                        April 18, 1775
    Tensions are high between great Britain and the colonies. The colonies are tired of all the kings taxes.  The king has taxed everything including: tea, sugars, lead, paper, stamps, and a whole lot of other things. I fear the worst. War is amongst us.  There are British soldiers everywhere.  Colonists such as my father , Alexander, and William are up at arms and prepared to fight. For the sake of life I hope it doesn’t come to war.
                                     
                                          April 19,1775
      Today all my fears have been realized. Shots fired in Lexington.  Apparently this feud has existed way before our arrival in Charleston. A rebellious act known as the Boston Tea Party occurred on June 9,1772. That is 3 years before.  A group of men known as the “Liberty Boys” boarded the Gaspee dressed as Indians and destroyed 342 chests of tea. This war will not end quietly. This will be a war to dawn the ages and be remembered greatly by all.
                               
                                        April 22, 1775
      Today is supposed to be a happy day.  It is Lonna and my birthday. You would think we would be happy but we’re not. Today of all days Alexander and William joined the Continental Army.  Through their joining I have learned of the ride of Paul Revere on April 18,1775.….just the other day.  One if by land two if by sea in the steeple of the Christ Church of Boston.  That night two lanterns  were hung to signal the British were coming by sea. I fear for the safety of all especially my dear Alexander.
                                         
                                        April 27, 1775
          Alexander writes me once a week .  He tells me he misses me and how he hopes to be home soon. Father is thinking of joining the war as well. It was strange ……William and Alexander wrote mother and father but they wont tell us what about. Lonna is trying her best to get mother to tell us what’s going on when father isn’t looking. They are hiding something in their room
                                       
                                          April 30,1775
        Today we are going to Charleston for a slave auction. Father is going to get some good workers and some maids and servants . Momma wants some women and children to help around the house. I’m hoping we get them in families…….. I couldn’t imagine not having my family. We are getting close to town so I have to stop writing.
                                         
                                        May 2,1775
        We now have at least 163 slaves. We have about 6 families and friends it made a lot of them happy. Though some of them didn’t have family with them but friends in my opinion are just as good as family. We have one little African girl who can’t be more that 5 or 6 years of age. I can’t pronounce her real name but it sounds like  Jenny so that’s what I call her. She is so adorable …….. I’m glad we got her and her family.
                                       
                                      May 6, 1775
        Mother finally broke down and showed Lonna and I what she was hiding………two beautiful wedding dresses ! About the time she showed us father walked in with a letter from William and Alexander.
It said :
              Dear Layla and Lonna ,
          In two days time we will return to you . We have much to tell you and things to ask. We are very much so tired of war and fighting. We hope to see your shining bright faces and your beautiful smiles. We hope ya’ll like the gifts we’re bringing you .
                                                      With love and dreams,
                                              William & Alexander Taylor
It is the sweetest and most confusing letter we have ever received. I can’t wait for two days to pass. This note has created many new questions of curiosities.
                                 
                                      May 12, 1775
      I am very pleased to announce I am now Layla Dawn Taylor! I am also pleased to announce my sister Lonna Lynn Taylor! On May 9, 1775 Lonna and I married of course William and Alexander. Unfortunately on May 10 they were called back to war. This time it is even worse. Father went with them. I’m kind of scared and worried but I’m sure we are going to be okay. Jenny  told me yesterday she felt safe around me . She said she couldn’t imagine being on anyone else’s plantation. She said she heard people in the south treated slaves badly but she was happy here. She is also glad we treat her and everyone else right. I’m glad she feels that way. Honestly, I couldn’t imagine her being anywhere else either.
                           
                                    May 20, 1775
    As the war rages on day after day the death count increases. It’s horrible!  Day after day week after week and I fear year after year . War is spreading into  peoples  homes , their fields , and ruining lives. Farms are being burnt , plantations completely destroyed , live stoke being taken and any who refuse meet an even worse fate. A fate almost as horrible as those of us who have to live through theses times of unrest.
                                     
                                    June 3 , 1775
    I am feeling very sick and weak. I haven’t wanted to eat but I feel  like I have to. I miss Alexander and Lonna misses William. Mother keeps herself busy. She has made dresses , blankets , and anything else  possible. You can tell she misses father , we all do. Mother made Jenny lots of new dresses. They are adorable ! She is like my daughter , but I wouldn’t take that privilege from her given mother. I need to lie down , I feel terrible.
                                     
                                  June 10 , 1775
I am so happy for Lonna and I . We have both been acting strange. Mother had her suspicions. Finally, she told us that we were with child. It didn’t surprise me. We always do everything together.

                                  August 10, 1775
I received a letter from Alexander today. He says houses all around us are being raided. Live stock are being stolen. All who resist murdered. He says for me to be careful and watch out. I can’t wait to tell him the good news, perhaps it will lift his spirits. All of his bad news, the battle of Bunker Hill June 17, people being slaughtered like animals. Now they are in Boston under General George Washington awaiting orders.

                                October 8,1775
I have gained a round tummy. Mother has had to make new dresses for Lonna and I. It’s kind of funny to see Lonna going around calling herself a cow. Jenny likes to put her hands on my stomach and feel the baby kick. It’s so sweet! Well, I am hungry again, I am going to go eat.

                                December 7, 1775
I am worried about my family fighting in the war. I have not heard from them for some time. I keep hearing of all the deaths on the battlefields. Anyway, on a happy thought, we had to go into town last week. Mother had blisters from making dresses. So instead of her sewing. We went and bought a few dresses. While we were there we picked up some groceries and a newspaper. Thankfully the news says things have settled in the war for the winter. Hopefully soldiers will come home soon.

                                  January 9,1776
Each day seems longer and longer. As I think about what this new year might bring. I fear for my poor sweet Alexander. He is out there in the freezing cold morning air. Mother says the babies should be coming soon. Helen, the cook, is thankful. Lonna has been eating everything she puts in front of her.

                                    February 12,1776
On February 9, 1776 Lonna gave birth to a beautiful baby girl named Alexandria Kay Taylor. She is the prettiest baby I have ever seen. I have written William telling him of the newest addition to the family. I can not wait till my baby is born. I am so excited!

                                      February 25,1776
On February 21, 1776 I didn’t think I could do it but I gave birth to pair of twin baby girls. This is a very good day because on this day three years ago, Lonna’s and my grandfather passed away. He was a very wonderful person, so this is a great honor to me. Lonna is writing Alexander to tell him that Layla Shenea and Dawn Marie Taylor have been welcomed into our world. I am so happy! It is so much fun to watch Jenny play with the girls. One of the workers carved some animals for them. They are very good. I can not wait to spend the rest of my life with my rapidly growing family.

                                        July 4,1776
Word came today. The Colonies have adopted a Declaration Of Independence. The Second Continental Congress has  written this document stating the Colonies are to be free from the rule of  the Kingdom of Great Britain.

                                      August 2,1776
Again, we have heard about the Declaration Of Independence. Word has spread that most of the delegates signed the document today.     

                                        A perfect ending
Layla became so busy with her twins she had to stop writing. Alexander, William, and Charles Nightingale returned home at the wars end in 1783. The last of the red coats left our colonies out of New York on November 25, 1783. With the help of several nation such as France, The American Indians, and Spain the colonies won the war and their freedom. As Layla predicted the war did not end quietly. It has been and will be remembered throughout the ages.












Diary Of A Twin :
A Story Of The American Revolutionary War


By: Heather Yarber

© Copyright 2007 charlie101 (charlie101 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1336197-Diaries-of-a-Twin