*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1344482-Everyday-Patriotism
Rated: E · Essay · Political · #1344482
Essay on small acts of daily patriotism
  Patriotism is dragged out at Fourth of July, Veteran’s Day, and Memorial Day.  The rest of the time people show their patriotism by shoving their faded and tattered flag in the hall closet.  The rest of the year, they grumble about the Republicans or the Democrats or the Liberals or the Conservatives.  They grumble about too many taxes and not enough government programs for this or that.  Some say the government is meddling where they don’t belong while others say the government isn’t doing enough.  People complain that not enough is being done to protect the home front and then complain when there are delays at the airports because of security checks.
  I wish that those people could appreciate the freedoms that they have as citizens of the United States.  Are we a perfect nation?  No, there is no perfect country, no Utopia, but what we do have is freedom.  We can read the books that interest us, listen to the music we enjoy, travel wherever we desire, provide an education to our children, give equal rights to our citizens, and elect officials to government offices to represent us, and we can complain about our government without fear of retribution.  Patriotism should be second nature, an everyday way of life.  We should keep our flags in good repair and proudly display them every day, not just on holidays or at times of national crisis.
  An e-mail circulated recently that asks us all to wear red shirts each Friday to show our solidarity and patriotism, but I challenge you to let your actions, not your clothes, reflect your patriotism.  We need to be more tolerant of the various religions that comprise our nation and of the rights of those who choose not to believe at all.  We need to recognize their right to exist without sacrificing our rights and the principles our nation is founded on.  We don’t have to agree with all the choices our government officials make, but they are making difficult decisions in difficult times. I will not denigrate our soldiers for doing their job, but rather be their strongest support for putting their patriotism to the utmost test.  We, as a nation, must let our patriotism shine as a beacon of freedom for other countries, so that they, too, can achieve freedom.
  Are you personally up to the challenge to exhibit small acts of patriotism?  Trust me other countries are watching us.  Let them see American flags proudly flying every day of the year at our homes and businesses.  Let them see a nation united in the belief that democracy is the way to go.  Let them see that while we disagree over certain issues, we can agree to disagree and to illicit change through thought and democratic action rather than civil unrest and military coups. I will fly my flag proudly from my front porch.  I will show kindness to all I meet.  I will show tolerance for those whose opinions are different from mine.  I will cast my vote at every local and state election and delight that I can freely stand in line to do so without fear of being killed for exercising that right.  I will not shun my right to vote because the weather is bad, or dinner will be late.  The small things I’ve mentioned cost so little of our time and money but reap huge rewards in how other nations perceive us and, indeed, how we perceive ourselves.  These things will show our true patriotism.  Are you with me?
© Copyright 2007 greebie1 (bethgribas at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1344482-Everyday-Patriotism