*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1348586-October
Rated: E · Essay · Parenting · #1348586
Passing on my wisdom to my neice.
The day you were born our family changed for ever.  God has truly blessed us.  You are the light in my life, the apple of your mom’s eye, and our own little Princess.  I want to pass on the things that I have learned in life.  These are things that if something should happen to me I would want you to know. 
First of all, you are the most beautiful, loving, amazing person that has ever walked the earth.  Even at 7 months old, you’re so bright and shiny; I can’t believe we were so lucky.  Watching you grow will be an honor and the experience of a lifetime.  It’s almost painful to wait, I’m so exited to see what kind of person you will become, what you’ll think, what ideas you’ll have for life and your future.  I, of course, would like to see you go to Linden Hall and then Yale, but I’m sure that you’ll have your own ideas.  You can do anything and it won’t change how we feel about you as long as you always do what’s in your heart. 
Be fearless, hold your ground.  Have your own mind, your own ideas.  Don’t apologize for them.  Ever.  Don’t ever change them for someone else.  Remember to stand up for those who can’t stand up for themselves.  You have the ability to change the world.  Any one determined person does. 
Listen to people older than you, they’re not always right, but they do have good points sometimes.  Listen to all people, anyone willing to give they’re opinion is worth listening to; the trick is to know whether or not it applies to your life or your ideals.  To truly be open minded we must be willing to listen to someone whose words make our blood boil but learn something from what they say.  Sometimes it will surprise you, and others you’ll only walk away thinking that you only learned about who you don’t want to be.  But it’s still worthwhile.
Don’t try to choose a path in life, let it choose you.  Believe me, plans are futile, life will take you where it wants to go.  Don’t ever be afraid to change your mind.  It’s your mind, and it’s your life.  Throw on the breaks, change direction, do a U-turn, whatever it takes but never go down a path you know you don’t want.
Fall in love, as much as possible.  Don’t be afraid to love.  Even when it’s wrong, it’s right.  Broken hearts happen, the ones we love don’t always love us back, and sometimes we lose people.  Be sad, grieve for the losses, but move on.  We have to.  Relationships are the most confusing thing about life, all types of relationships.  None are perfect, and if anyone says they have the perfect one they’re lying. 
Life is an adventure; experience everything you have the chance to.  Don’t worry about looking silly or failing, jump in head first like no one is watching.  Believe me, when you finally look back you’ll realize they weren’t watching anyway, they were too busy worrying about the same things you were. 
Don’t worry about what people think about you, or what petty girls will say.  Forget any insults as soon as they’re said.  Holding on to them, holding grudges, it’s a worthless business.  You only hurt yourself.  Know yourself.  Know they’re wrong.  Know it doesn’t matter. 
In the end, know that your family is always a safe place you can go.  Never be afraid to come home, to ask for help, to admit defeat.  Home is the one place you can let your guard down, heal your wounds, and be among people who love you unconditionally. 
© Copyright 2007 Anne Tshudy (webby1147 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1348586-October