*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1350829-The-Last-Look
Rated: E · Short Story · Family · #1350829
This is a short story written from a prompt for a contest.
The Last Look


        Edward looked at the little suitcase that contained some of the items that he held most dear.  In one side was his favorite shirt, socks, underwear, and his best pants.  In the other side was his brush, comb, letters from Dorothy his aunt, and a picture of the family.  That was all that he thought he needed and that was all that he would take.  His wallet was filled with all of his money that he had saved.  His brown coat had a ticket to the bus that he would take to go to the county’s biggest city.  From there he had hoped to catch a train to a future that would be new and better than the past.
        Just yesterday morning Edward had tried his best to get all of the farm equipment in perfect running order.  He checked all of the belts, spark plugs, and ignition switches.  He made sure that the tractor was sitting in the driveway, and filled with the proper fuel.  His last repair job was for the old truck that he knew that his dad depended on to go into town to pick up food for the animals and seed for the pastures.  He hoped the work would produce enough corn or wheat that would give the family enough money to last until the next planting season.
What Edward dreaded was the outcome of his announcement that he was going to go away for a while.
        Edward walked into the kitchen as the radio blared out the day and weather.  It was October 10, 1941. The day’s weather would be cool and clear.  The air would be as dry as the last few weeks humidity. 
He could still see his mother drop the fork as she was dishing out the breakfast eggs.  Tyler, his snaggle-toothed brother seemed to freeze in mid gulp of his cold milk.
        But the biggest response was from his father.  His father’s hand went straight to the middle of his chest as though Edward had hit him with a big horseshoe that they used to play with.  His father then  turned white as a sheet and asked him, ”You can’t be serious son?  Tell me that I am hearing things. ”
        “This is some kind of joke that you’re playing, right Eddie?” said Mother as she washed off the fork and then wiped the floor.
        “No. I’ve made my mind.  I just have to get out of here.  I found out from Aunt Dorothy that her son, Benjamin is going to join the navy.  He signed up and has finished some training.  He is going to see the world.”
        "But why now?” asked his mother. “There is plenty of time to see the world.  We might need you to fix something around here.  You are the best in the area a fixing machines and such.”
        “I know mother.  I can do that too in the navy and travel.  And when I get all of that training and experience, I can come home and maybe fix other machines.  I could possibly open a shop.  I just don’t want to farm any more.”
“Well son, we always thought that you would get the farm that your great grandfather bought.  He started out with one mule, one sack of grain and a pregnant wife that was my grandmother.  You’re going to leave all of this family tradition?”
        “Just for a little while Dad.  Outside there is nothing but a dry empty field.  Your crop is in.  You had the best crop in the county.  Plus Tyler might want to learn about farming.  He’s a Harrison too.” replied Edward as he sat down at the table and picked up a plate of toast to pass to Tyler.
        Dad sat down at the head of the rectangular table.  He looked at the plate of eggs and sausage and pushed it forward a few inches.  He then looked up at Edward with his strong brown eyes. 
        Edward put some jam on his toast and held it close to his mouth but then put it down to explain more. “I figured that the navy is safer.  It has so many machines.  I visited a recruiter after that last Fourth of July parade in town.  He gave me the information and I thought about it for a while.  I signed a paper a couple of weeks later when I went into town to see Dr. Miller.  He said that my teeth were in good condition.”
        Mother and Father looked at each other as if they were trying to talk telepathically.  Mother always sided with Father.  She did have her say sometimes.  When she disagreed, she never yelled or threw things but had that quiet, determined look in her eye that meant that she had her own opinion.  This was one of those times.
        Tyler finished his breakfast and raised his had to be excused.  He was going out to play with their dog Sophie.  She was a beautiful black Labrador and his best friend since he was a baby.
        “Yes, you can go Tyler.  Just remember to be back in an hour for some work we have for you.” said Mother.
        Tyler scrambled out of the kitchen and down the steps in a flash.  As the back door slammed, you could hear Sophie bark in happiness. 
        “How long will you be gone?” asked Mother with a slightly shaky voice.
        “Well after the training is done, I think that I have to be in the service for 3 to 4 years.  I get some times called shore leave to go back, but those times will be really short.  But I promise I will come home.” said Edward with his eyes directed to first Mother then his Father.
        “Well I think that you are needed here son.  I say that you must stay here where you are needed.”  His father took the napkin from his lap and tossed it on the table next to his untouched plate.
        “Do you think that the navy is safe?  Will you get seasick?  How can we call you when you are out there in that water?”  asked Dad with a strained look on his face.
        “Well Dad, I guess the navy is about a safe as Uncle Will’s boat when we go up to the lake to fish.  I am sure that if I didn’t get seasick when I was in Uncle Will’s boat, then a bigger boat won’t matter.  And I promise to write letters.”
        “No son.  I just think that you are better off here.  Maybe later, but I just need you  here.”
        “You know that I have never gone against you or Mother,” replied Edward as he stood up to walk out of the room.  He turned and looked at both parents, “But, this is my life.  I have that special feeling that there is something special out there for me.  I gave my word when I signed the papers and a Harrison does not go back on his word.”  Edward then silently walked out of the room to go to finish packing.
When Edward left the house and his mother gave him a hug and a small sandwich to put in his pocket.  Edward could tell that she loved him very much but would not try to keep him at the farm.  Tyler came up to the house with a little dirt on his pants.  Sophie went to her favorite spot under the tree after getting a big drink of water.
        Edward looked into Tyler’s eyes and said, “Since I am going to be gone for a while, you are the new number two man of the farm.  I want you to promise me that you will study hard in school, and help father with the chores.  You are not a little boy anymore.”
        Tyler’s smile changed into an expression of thoughtfulness.  “Do you mean that I can drive the big tractor?”
        “No, not now. But you can help with things like going with Father into town to buy things and fixing the small machines like I showed you.  I’ll miss those fun nights when we played with Sophie and caught fireflies.”
“I’ll miss them too, but,” and then Tyler ran to hug Edward, “I’ll miss the best big brother anyone could ever have.”
        The sun had almost risen to the middle of the day as Edward was walking down the dusty country road.  He knew that his father was stubborn once he had made up his mind.  He looked at the barbed wire fence that kept the neighbor’s cows in their pasture.  The road was dusty.  A small hill was in sight as was the bend in the road that the children used as a marker when they saw parents coming back from town.  They had just about 30 minutes to get into the house to start studying school work.  Beyond the bend was Uncle Will and Aunt Dorothy’s house.  From there Edward would get a ride into town.  Uncle Will would never go against his brother in law’s wishes so Edward did not mention the discussion of that morning.
        Edward felt as though he had some weights tied to his legs.  He moved his legs and tried to not think of what was happening in the house at this time.  All he knew is that his wish was to have one more look at the place he loved and planned to return to.  In his mind there was the fact that this point of the road was the last look or the first step to going back forever. He had to decide quickly. Did he want to go back or to training camp and then on to his assignment with Benjamin on the USS Arizona?

1630 words
© Copyright 2007 Dorianne (jumacu at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1350829-The-Last-Look