*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1352299-Today-Tomorrow
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Contest · #1352299
Based on a photo, a man begins again
Robert James Conrad. 26 years old. Brown hair, blue eyes. Average height and weight. Born loser. His mother said so. His father really said so. Even his wife said so.

So, who needs this? Robert certainly did not. So, with only the necessities (toothbrush, face flannel, underwear, socks, two changes of clothes) packed nice and neat in the old cardboard suitcase, he left his wife behind for a new life.

Only, what will his new life be like? This old road is the only road out of Shackey, Tennessee. In case you have never heard of Shackey, Tennessee, well, you're not alone. It is such a small town with only one general store (that includes the post office and sheriff's desk) and 75 residents. After today, there will be 74 residents because Robert is done with feeling like a nobody in a nobody town.

Surrounded by grass browned from the autumn weather, Road Number 12 is only just wide enough for two trucks to fit. And, since Robert's wife whined about needing their car for errands and emergencies, he has to walk about 20 miles to the nearest town, Choctaw City.

Robert remembered the day his grandfather took him to Choctaw City for the first time. They stayed at the Home Sweet Home Bed and Breakfast where he met the sweetest little girl he had ever known.

Robert was 7 years old when he saw Tilly Johnson. With long, blond braids and a spattering of freckles on her nose, Tilly lit up a room with her 6-year-old smile. Ever since Grandpa and Robert stayed at the Home Sweet Home Robert thought he was in love. Sadly, they stayed at Choctaw City for only two days.

Sometimes, he still thinks about her and wonders what is happening in her life. Is she married now? Did she move away? Is she happy? The one thought that stayed with him during the long, lonely walk was "Please let her remember me."

* * * * * * * * *

It's just another quiet, rainless day in Choctaw City. Outside the Home Sweet Home Bed and Breakfast, an old gray tabby lazily swats at any fly that buzzes near her face. Must be nice, thought Mathilda Derry. Mathilda had been Home Sweet Home's owner ever since the previous owner, her mother, passed on last year.

Mathilda used to go by the name Tilly. Everyone continued to call her that even when she married Benjamin Derry. Tilly's name fit her. So vibrant, youthful, and alive. Then, Ben went and gambled their life savings away and took off for parts unknown. He was gone three days when Tilly lost all that vibrancy and became Mathilda.

Not long after, Mrs. Johnson got real ill. Keeping up with her tenants put too much strain on her system. The folks who usually stayed at Home Sweet Home never were any trouble. They picked up after themselves and didn't ask for any fancy foods. It was just getting up and down the stairs with the bedding and vacuum has gotten too tiring for her. So, Mathilda sold the house she shared with Ben and moved back home.

Home Sweet Home. How appropriate, and yet bittersweet.

So, here she sits on the front porch waiting out another quiet day. Her blue and yellow dress had seen better days. Sometimes, she thinks about when she had seen better days. She spent many happy days just helping her mom knead the dough for fresh bread and cinnamon rolls for the guests' morning meals. Such memories.

Now, she's the one who makes the breakfast for any number of people who come to stay. Changes the bedding. Vacuums the rugs. Cleans the toilet. What she needed right this minute was little pick-me-up and she knew what it was. A nice warm batch of homemade cinnamon rolls.

* * * * * * * * *

Three hours. Twenty miles. That sure is one long walk Robert does not intend to repeat any time soon. Thank the heavens the TootToot gas station is just on the edge of Choctaw City.

Once he got to TootToot everything looked so familiar and, yet, so different at the same time. After all, it had been almost 20 years since he last stepped foot in this town. The gas station's building hadn't changed but the gas pumps were all different. Daisy's, the only diner in town is now called Flo and Mel's. A few more houses were erected on either side of the main road. Robert sure looked forward to seeing how the rest of Choctaw City has changed. But, first things first. He hopes Flo and Mel's still made meatloaf sandwiches and apple pie.

A tin cow bell rung when the door opened. Inside the diner, only two men in red plaid flannel shirts and an elderly lady with tinted blue hair looked up from their meals.

"Be right with you. Just have a seat anywhere," called out a woman's voice from the kitchen. The voice didn't sound like it came from these parts. A slight nasal tone. Maybe New York, maybe Chicago, thought Robert basing his assumption on the movies he saw.

Coming out of the kitchen was a young woman who could not have been more than 30 years old. Despite her youthful appearance, the waitress had a worn look on her face. She came over to the end of the counter where Robert sat and offered him a cup of coffee.

"How you doing, sugar? I'm Flo. Care for some joe?"
"Yes, thanks. And, do you make meatloaf sandwiches?"
"Are you kidding? That's Mel's specialty. How you want that? Hot? Cold?"
"How with tomato sauce and mashed potatoes, no gravy."
"Okay, be up in a moment. Mel! Orders coming!"

After a nice, warm meal in his belly and the best coffee he had ever tasted, Robert knew he had to find a bed for tonight. And tomorrow. And for however long he can stay.

"Can I get you another cup of coffee?"
"Yes, thank you. Do you have any apple pie?"
"Sure do. It's now made here thoughm Mel can cook a meal to stick to your ribs but he can't bake to save his Momma's life."
"Really. Where do you get your pies from?"
"Mathilda Derry. She's always baking something. Guess that's the only way she can pay her bills when she doesn't have boarders."
"Boarders? Are you talking about the Home Sweet Home?"
"That's the one! You know it?"
"It's been awhile. Wow. I haven't been there since I was small enough to sit on my Grandpa's lap. Does Mrs. Johnson still run it?"
"Nah. She passed on a few months back. Her daughter, Mathilda runs it now."
"You said her last name is Derry. Her husband run it with her?" The last thing Robert wanted to do was cause problems in another marriage.
"No. Ben Derry is a weasel and a cad and he proved it when he took off without a word."
"Oh. Do you know if Tilly, I mean Mathilda, got any room available?"
"I think she does. Best ask her. Want me to call her for you?"
"That's okay, I think I'll surprise her. She and I go way back."
"Well, I hope she does remember you. After what Ben did, she could use another friend."

Flo probably gave Robert the best news he heard in years. Tilly is still here. When he got up left behind enough money to cover his bill and a five dollar tip. Flo was indeed a big help.

If Robert remembered correctly, it's only two miles down East Road before he would see a familiar light blue house with a white picket fence and rosebushes on both sides of the front steps.

* * * * * * * * *

It's been too quiet today, thought Mathilda Derry. Now, this landlady enjoys solitude as much as the next person but too much solitude at a bed and breakfast establishment means no money to cover basic living expenses. Even making pies for Flo Jackson's diner doesn't guarantee making enough money. It's a day like this that makes Mathilda wish she could have her cat's life... catch mice and sleep.

Just thinking about pies reminded her to call Flo about next week's order. After all, she has to make sure she has enough ingredients for her dessert menu. Right when Mathilda got up to call Flo, Shabby the tabby ran to the front parlor swishing her tail excitedly and meowing. That old cat only acts like this when a stranger approaches the porch. It wasn't much a surprise when they heard a knock on the door.

"Hello? Can I help you?"
"I hope so. Are you Mathilda Derry?"
"Yes."
"Good. I knew you when you were Tilly Johnson. It's me, Robert Conrad." Holding out his hand he followed the declaration with, "I stayed here a long time ago with my grandfather, James Conrad. I was 7. You might remember me. We played together for two whole days."
"I might," she answered hesitantly. Ben left some deep scars. "What funny thing did you do while you stayed here?"
Robert stepped back out onto the porch and waddled back and forth like a penguin. Mathilda just shook her head and laughed.
"So, how are you, Bobby?"
"Better now that I've found an old friend. How are you?"
"I have my good days and my bad. Please, come in. Have you eaten?"
"Yes, thanks. As you can see, I have another reason for being here. Do you have any room available?"
"Actually, I do. How long can you stay?" This may just help Mathilda pay off a few bills.
"I'm not sure yet. I just got here today and, I don't know."
"Well, the rooms are $20 dollars a week. Breakfast is included. I keep a list of house rules in every bedroom. You can have the room at the end of the hall upstairs next to the bathroom."
"Thanks, that's great. I guess I'll go put my things away."
"Okay. Then, when you're ready, maybe, we can sit and talk."
"Thanks, again. This may be the fresh start I need."

Mathilda knows all too well about fresh starts. Even before her husband walked out on her she learned the hard way about starting over. Perhaps, she'll tell Robert all about her life. But, not now. This is business. Trust is something to be earned and she doesn't know if she trusts him all that well.

Upstairs, Robert thought a lot about what just happened today. This led him to think about his whole life. He spent the better part of his life trying to prove himself to his parents. He got good grades in school. He helped to keep their farm from going under. He married the prettiest girl in Shackey. None of it mattered. Now he has only himself to prove to himself.

Hopefully, Mathilda will accept him as a friend. He doesn't want her to think of him as another Ben Derry. He just needs to take each day one at a time. Today, a bed and a meal. Tomorrow? Perhaps, Tilly can tell him who can offer him a job.

TO BE CONTINUED

(1857 words)
© Copyright 2007 LilyMom (lilymom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1352299-Today-Tomorrow