*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1361597-Oscar-and-Olphanse
Rated: E · Draft · Children's · #1361597
This is based on a picture of Chris Van Allsburg's about 2 catterpillars and a girl.
Two caterpillars peered at Jane, a little girl, from the tall grass surrounding the forest path.
“Can she help us?” Oscar shifted in the grass. They watched Jane sniff a flower.
“Maybe,” spelled Olphanse. They glanced at each other meaningfully.
Oscar and Olphanse wiggled to form the word “Greetings to you.” Jane stopped and softly knelt on her knees, watching the two caterpillars form words. “Can you help us?”
“Of course,” breathed the little girl. “But with what?”
“Get us back home.”
She didn’t want to leave the caterpillars. It felt like she had been standing there for one minute.
“But how? How? I don’t want to leave you, when I just discovered you! We have barely even talked! Why does this have to end?”
“We really do need your help. We need a child, someone like you, and a girl too, that will not squash us for the fun of it.”
“But can’t you stay a little while longer? I so want to know your story!”
“O, if you knew our story, you’d have those scary visions at night that make children scream! And we need to get home in 10 seconds!”
Jane grew still. She knew it was time to send them back. The caterpillars softly wiggled in her hand, spelling out “Goodbye.”
Without thinking, she kneeled down and kissed the caterpillars. POOF! They were gone.
© Copyright 2007 looking for keys in the dark (delmarria at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1361597-Oscar-and-Olphanse