*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1362750-Chapter-2-Snowed-In
Rated: E · Short Story · Family · #1362750
there's a blizzard and Josaline is missing. Will she survive the blizzard?
“Jazmin? Hey, are you awake?” said Josaline going into three-year-old Jazmin’s room. Jazmin got up, rubbed her eyes, and said, “Huh?”
“ I said, ‘Are you awake’?” repeated Josaline. Jazmin opened her eyes and replied,” Yes.”
“Come on. Mom said to wake you. I have to take you to M. Diaz’s house. She’s going to watch you while mommies in work and we’re in school. Dad already left,” explained Josaline. Jazmin stood up and asked,” Where did he go?”
“He left to the airport to work in China,” replied Josaline. Jazmin said, ” Ok.”
Jazmin got out of bed and Josaline helped her get dress. She went down stairs to get Jazmin’s coat, sweater, scarf, hat, gloves, and boots. Then she went up stairs and helped Jazmin put it on. Then they both walked to Ms. Diaz’s house. Jazmin shivered because it was really cold outside. Jazmin said shivering, “It’s cold. I hope it snows. I want to play with the snow. Snow! Snow! Snow!”
“ It’s going to snow this afternoon. A lot,” said Josaline looking at the sky. Jazmin looked up too and said,” A lot?”
“Yep. There’s going to be a snow storm,” said Josaline. Jazmin said throwing her hands in the air,” Ooh. A snowstorm. Then there’s going to be a lot of snow and I could make a snow man and a snow angel.”
Once Josaline and Jazmin got to Ms. Diaz’s house Josaline knocked on the door and Ms. Diaz opened it and said,” Come in Jazmin. Hurry. It is too cold out. Hello, Josaline.”
“Hi, Ms. Diaz. I have to go. I’m going to be late for school,” said Josaline. Ms. Diaz and Jazmin both said waving their hands, “Bye Josaline.”
“Bye,” said Josaline turning around and walking to school. Jazmin gets into the house with Ms. Diaz. Ms. Diaz helps Jazmin get out of her coat and sits down with Jazmin. A lady form the weather report shows up on the screen. The weather reporter said, “There will be a severe snowstorm this afternoon. All should stay indoors. I repeat all should stay indoors. Stay in your homes where it is warm. Do not. I repeat do not use the telephones. They are dead. This is your last warning. Stay indoors.”
The television went blank and the lights went out. Jazmin stood up scared and said,” What happen?”
“Don’t worry the lights went out. Stay here. I’ll get some candles and some flashlights just in case your mother and your brothers and sister come. They shouldn’t be allowed to go to school in this type of weather,” said Ms. Diaz going into the closet. Jazmin was looking out the window. She saw that it was snowing so she said,” It’s snowing!”
Ms. Diaz put the candles and flashlights in the coffee table and went over to where Jazmin was. She looked out the window and saw it snowing. “Wow. It looks like a blizzard out there,” said Ms. Diaz. Suddenly the window shook like someone threw a snowball at it. Jazmin jumped up and said,” What was that?”
“The wind is getting fierce,” said Ms. Diaz. Jazmin turned around and saw that it was snowing inside. She exclaimed, “Look! It’s snowing inside.”
Ms. Diaz turned around and followed Jazmin into the living room. She saw a hole in the ceiling and snow was coming down heavily. “Oh! Come on Jazmin lets go into the kitchen where it’s warmer. Maybe tomorrow I’ll get someone to fix that.”
“Can I play with the snow?” asked Jazmin. Ms. Diaz said quickly,” No, no, no. It is much too cold to play. Besides you might get a cold. We wouldn’t want that to happen. We’ll stay warm in the kitchen and wait to see what happens.”
A few minutes later the doorbell rang. Ms. Diaz ran to get it. She opened the door. It was Jason and Justin. They came inside quickly while Ms. Diaz closed the door. Ms. Diaz helped them out of their coats and said,” Come on. Let’s go into the kitchen. Where’s Josaline?”
“We don’t know. Our teacher drove us because it was snowing a lot. It’s cold outside. It’s snow pretty hard,” said Jason taking his gloves off. Justin took his shoe off and said,” It’s snowing like a blizzard out there. I wonder where Josaline is.”
“Maybe the teacher kept everyone at school,” suggested Jason. Ms. Diaz nodded and said,” I hope so. I can’t call school because the telephone lines are dead.”
While they all settled to get warmed the doorbell rang again. Ms. Diaz ran to get it. It was Mrs. Colon. Ms. Diaz helped Mrs. Colon out and shut the door. Jazmin saw her mother and ran to her saying,” Mommy! Mommy! Mommy! It’s snowing outside.”
“Yes honey, I know. I just came from outside,” said Mrs. Colon smiling. She turned to Ms. Diaz and said,” Are the kids here?”
“Only Jason and Justin,” said Ms. Diaz. Mrs. Colon looked around and said,” Where’s Josaline?”
“I don’t know. She didn’t come. I figured the teacher kept everyone in school,” suggested Ms. Diaz. Mrs. Colon grabbed her coat and said,” I think I’ll go look for her.”
“ No, no. You just came out of the weather. I’ll go. Stay here and be warm,” said Ms. Diaz going into the coatroom. Ms. Diaz out her coat on and said,” Stay here and watch the kids.”
“Oh, thank you Ms. Diaz. If you can’t find her come back and we’ll take turns looking for her,” said Mrs. Colon going into the kitchen. Ms. Diaz leaves walking right into the blizzard. Meanwhile, Josaline came out of school and she is walking in the blizzard. The snow is blowing right into her face. “Come on, I could make it. Woo! I’m so cold. I wish it wasn’t cold. I should’ve stayed home today. I hope I don’t get frostbite. Oh I don’t feel so good,” said Josaline sniffing her nose. Josaline stopped for a while to catch her breath. The she kept on walking. Suddenly, the wind blew Josaline real hard that she flew to her back and sank deep in to the snow. “Whoa!” yelled Josaline falling backwards. Josaline tried getting up by pushing her head forward. When she couldn’t get up she yelled,” Help! Somebody! Help me! Help!”
No one could hear her. Josaline gave up yelling and closed her eyes. Meanwhile, Ms. Diaz headed back home. When she got back Mrs. Colon said,” Did you see her?”
“No, I couldn’t see through all that snow and fog,” she said taking her coat off. Mrs. Colon took her coat off the hook and put it on and said,” Then I’ll look for her, now. I’ll be back.”
“Can I go with you, mommy?” asked Jazmin. Mrs. Colon shook her head and said,” No, honey. It’s too cold outside for you. You can stay here and be warm.”
“But I want to help,” pleaded Jazmin. Mrs. Colon opened the door and said,” Not now, honey. Not now.”
Mrs. Colon leaves and Mrs. Diaz goes into the kitchen to make hot cocoa. She goes to where Jason and Justin are. “Do you want hot cocoa?” asked Ms. Diaz. Jason and Justin nodded and started doing their homework. While Ms. Diaz was making hot cocoa, Jazmin went to the coatroom and got her coat. She put her boots and coat on and left without Ms. Diaz not noticing. Jazmin stepped right into the blizzard and yelled,” Josaline! Josaline, where are you? Josaline!”
Jazmin couldn’t see through the snow. She forced her little body walking. The snow was almost up to her feet. “Josaline, where are you? Oh, this isn’t fun. I can’t even see. I should’ve brought my gloves,” complained Jazmin.
Meanwhile, when Ms. Diaz finished making hot coca she went to Jazmin. “Jazmin? Do you want hot coca to warm you up?” asked Ms. Diaz looking around. When Jazmin didn’t answer she looked under the table and behind the curtains. Ms. Diaz searched in the living room and said, ”Jazmin? Where are you? Jazmin, answer me! Are you hiding? Are you in the living room playing with the snow in the living room?”
Ms. Diaz looked around in the living room but didn’t see Jazmin. “ Jason! Justin!” exclaimed Ms. Diaz going into the kitchen. Jason looked up from his cup and said,” What happened?”
“Where’s Jazmin?” asked Ms. Diaz. Jason shrugged and said,” I don’t know.”
“Jazmin? If your hiding, you come out this minute!” exclaimed Ms. Diaz going into the coatroom. Ms. Diaz looked into the coatroom and saw one hook empty. “No, she didn’t.”
Ms. Diaz takes her coat from the hook and puts it on. She goes into the kitchen and says,” Jason, Justin? Stay right here. I’m going to look for Jazmin. If your mother comes tell her where I am. Do not leave out of the house. I’ll be right back.”
Jason and Justin nodded yes and Ms. Diaz left to look for Jazmin. Ms. Diaz went outside walking in the deep snow and hollered out through the fog and snow,” Jazmin! Are you out there? Come this way! Come home! Jazmin! Where is she?”
All Ms. Diaz could hear is the wind blowing in her face. Meanwhile, Josaline was still stuck in the snow and Jazmin was still looking for her. Jazmin yelled,” Josaline! Josaline, can you hear me!”
Jazmin couldn’t go farther. Her legs were stiff. Josaline who was stuck and trying to get out tried pushing her head forward and tried coming out until she heard a small little little voice calling her name. Josaline pulled her head up and yelled into the snow,” Help! Please! Somebody! Anybody out there! Please, help!”
“Hello! Where are you?” yelled Jazmin following the voice. Josaline recognized the voice and yelled,” Jazmin? Is that you?”
“Yes! Josaline, where are you?” yelled Jazmin. Josaline yelled,” Here! Oh! Jazmin! Get me out of here! I’m over here! Do you here me!”
Once, Jazmin saw Josaline she ran to her. “Help, I stepped in a hole,” said Josaline. Jazmin said out of breath,” Don’t move. I’ll get you out.”
With Jazmin’s little fingers she shoveled through the snow and tried pulling Josaline out. Finally Jazmin’s got Josaline out of the hole. “I can’t feel my legs,” said Josaline. “I’ll pull you home.”
“No. You’ll get tired. I’m too heavy. Go get help!” yelled Josaline. “ No, I’m not going to leave you here! I’m taking you home.”
Jazmin just took Josaline’s hands and dragged her slowly. She pulled as hard as she can. Her little hands were so cold and frozen. “I should have worn my gloves,” said Jazmin. Jazmin was almost home. She felt like she couldn’t one more step. But she forced her feet to keep going. Jazmin looked at her feet and said, ”Come on feet. Keep going. You could make it.”
Jazmin couldn’t go anymore. She felt weak and too cold to tell Jazmin. Her legs felt weak and started to shake. Jazmin felt dizzy and fell to the ground. Josaline opened her eyes and saw Jazmin. “Jazmin!” yelled Josaline, sliding in the snow. She grabbed Jazmin’s hand and pulled Jazmin sliding through the snow. She tried getting up once she got to the doorstep of her house. She knocked on the door weakly with the palms of her hands. Ms. Diaz opened the door and Josaline fell in her arms. She was too weak and too cold to speak. Ms. Diaz exclaimed,” Josaline! Jazmin! Oh thank God!”
Mrs., Colon runs to where Ms. Diaz is at and sees Josaline and Jazmin. “Oh, than God. We were so worried,” said Mrs. Colon hugging Josaline and Jazmin. Mrs. Colon and Ms. Diaz wrapped Jazmin and Josaline into a blanket to warm them up. Josaline chattered her teeth and said weakly,” J-j-j-jaz-m-in s-s-sa-sav-saved m-m-my l-l-life.”
Ms. Diaz and Mrs. Colon looked at each other in surprised and smiled. Mrs. Colon hugged Jazmin glad that her two daughters were both okay.
© Copyright 2007 WriterJay89 (jvgurl89 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1362750-Chapter-2-Snowed-In