*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1363476-Beginning
Rated: 13+ · Other · Fantasy · #1363476
A single death turns two brothers against each other.
Juka held the woman, lifeless, in his arms. For a moment, he felt not a thing. As he lowered his head to the woman’s body, however, a sickness welled up inside him. His body, his blood, began to feel as if it had caught fire. He grasped the woman in his arms, knowing that this, this poor maiden, was the thing to ignite his rage. He left the woman in the care of his followers and fled to the precipice of Lockhart’s colony, where he looked out at the cursed settlement. Thoughts ran through his mind so quickly he couldn’t quite read them, and as if some great force had shook the land, every window in the kingdom shattered. Half of Lockhart’s palace crumbled, and Juka’s hands shook at the sight of his own power.
“Did you really think you’d get away with such a deed?” he mumbled, knowing that Lockhart could very well hear him. “I once cared about building a world with you. I once was proud to call you brother! And now look at what you have caused!” He raised his arms to the sky. Fire fell to the city, and Juka could hear the cried of the innocent. “Listen to the people of your city suffer! Do you not care about them, or do you believe so firmly in justice that you think that they deserve it!”
The more Juka spoke, the more his anger grew. He stretched out his arms, setting fire to the fields of the colony. “Why did you feel the need to punish the maiden? Why do you warp your view of justice so? Why do you not let my people live in peace?” The flames began to die. The cries of the people were hushed as Lockhart stepped out to meet Juka, face to face. Juka found himself at a loss of breath, scared perhaps.
“Tell me, brother. Where did you find it in your merciful heart to hate me?” he asked, sending shills down Juka’s spine.
“How dare you ask that!” Juka snapped. “You believe in your twisted justice so that you do not see who suffers from it! You do not realize how much more pain is caused than avoided—”
“And you, my brother.” Juka paused. “How do you feel about justice? Look at what you have done to my city. You’ve slaughtered them mercilessly and set fire to their fields just to punish me. Or was it to punish yourself?” Juka’s body tensed. “Maybe you were not quick enough to save your maiden. After all, you are the one who does not believe in killing. And yet, here you are.” Juka stood in silence, observing the carnage he brought. When Juka didn’t answer, Lockhart grinned. “Well then. If that’s the way you choose it to be, then hear my words. Never mind what I have to do to achieve my goal, Juka, I will find a way to make you believe in my justice. You will not live another peaceful day until one of us has been deemed victorious.”
“Lockhart, you can’t—”
“I can and will!” Lockhart exclaimed, pointing accusingly at Juka. “It’s too late to make excuses. Your people will not know rest until you find it in your heart to bring justice upon me! Now you must choose, brother, what you believe in most: your mercy or my justice!”
© Copyright 2007 A.M. Anwiler (ms_hijikata at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1363476-Beginning