*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1364770-Entry-for-flash-fiction-contest
Rated: E · Other · Detective · #1364770
story where protaginist is asked for a key
    Tom was pushed, nearly thrown, into the maintenance room.  Inside, stood two more men.  One, like the thugs who nabbed him, was obviously more meat than mind.  The other must have been the man in charge.  The door to the public eye was closed behind him by one of the thugs.

         "Greetings Mr. Ward," said the well dressed leader.  He pulled a women from behind a hot water tank, she was bound at the wrists and gagged.  "Give me the key, or I will take your friend's life."

         "What key?"

         "Don't play coy Mr. Ward, the key to locker 1735," he jostled the women for emphasis.

         Tom looked around the room, confused.  "Um, I don't know anything about a key.  I don't know who she is either, and my name's not Ward."

         The well dressed man narrowed his eyes, then suddenly looked shocked.  His eyes snapped up to the thugs behind Tom. 

         "You idiots, I told you he was tricky!  This man is just a distraction.  He's probably at the locker already!"  He threw the women to the side and ran for the door, pushing Tom aside in the process.  The thugs followed him without question or hesitation.

         Tom Ward was left alone with Rita.  He walked to her, pulled the gag down, and started untying her hands.

         "Oh, Tom I thought they had you."

         "Never under-estimate stupidity.  You must still have the key."

         "Of course."

         "Well then, let's find a place to hole up while they look for wild geese."  He helped her up and kissed her.  "They'll get frustrated and tired, then, we'll get the statue."

         She smiled and they disappeared into the crowd.
© Copyright 2007 Chad-Schaffer (cmschaffer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1364770-Entry-for-flash-fiction-contest