*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1367428-The-Deceiver-Of-Untold-Riches
Rated: · Script/Play · Comedy · #1367428
Mystery of the Stolen Item
Act 1
-Scene 1


Curtains up. Blackout. Sound of glass breaking. Lightspot on display case, and glass shattered. Music "da, da, da". Curtains fall.

End Scene 1.
-Scene 2

Curtains up. Spotlight on the display case. 2 cops on the left of the stage, with spotlight on them. They are bending down on floor inspecting glass. 2 cops around the display case. Chief in front of display case talking to them. Spotlight on them. Enter Det. Connor's from stage left. Spotlight following him. Takes off jacket with signature look. Looks from left to right of the audience. With his left leg, kicks the cop on his right at his butt. The cop gets up, and glares, then Det. glares back, startling the cop. Cop realizing it's Det. Connors stands down. Det. Connors throws his coat to the cop. Cop nodds to Det. Connors. Det. Connors puts his left hand in suit jacket, and strolls confidently towards the Chief. As he approachs Chief, Det. Connors stands behind him. Det. Connors puts both hands in suit jacket, and rocks couple times. Chief turns, he waves to the 2 cops to go. They stand around on the right side of stage talking, with a spotlight on them. Chief eye's Det. in annoyance, while rolling a piece of hard candy in his mouth. In unsion both walk towards front of the stage. Det. Connors with left hand in pocket. Spotlight follows them.

Chief:(Stratches back of head, and rolling eye's in disgust) So.... They sent you. (hand movement)

Connors:(Looking to the audience from left to right) That's right Chief. (short pause) They wanted me.

Chief:(eyeing him in disbelief) Alright, I want this clean, and quiet. I want you to wrap this up, and don't give me any trouble.(Hand movement) Do this, but "we" do this my way. You undertstand? (Short pause) Wise guy?

Connors:(holding his hands up front) Woo, woo, woo. You got it Chief. (putting left hand back in pocket) Besides, you the Boss. You make the rules.{(Walks in front of Chief standing sideways, but having his back towards the Chief) However, I don't think the Mayor would like it, knowing your interfering in my investigation in solving this crime.(smirk)

Chief: The Mayor called you? (dramatic stress)

Connors:(Nodds rocking back in forth a couple times)

Chief:(Shakes his head in disappointment, then still feeling in command, using a firm voice. Eyeing Det. Connors suspiciously) Alright, you got this one Ace. But if you screw this up, I'll make sure the Mayor kicks you out of office.(Shakes his head in disapproval. Then walks away to the left side of stage exiting, and spotlight following)

Connors: (Turns, and walk towards the cop holding his coat while talking to his partner. Then on arriving he pushes his left shoulder. Cop turns around, with fear, and respect hands the coat back. Det. Connors puts coat on. Det. Connors fixs collar. Looks back at the 2 cops, and motions them to leave, at stage left. The other 2 cops on the right stage exit stage right. Both spotlights disappear. Spotlight on display case, and Det. Connors. having left hand in coat pocket, and walks towards the display case.) I'll find you.

(Walks to the far stage left. While turns towards the display case. Dipps his hat, and exit stage left. His spotlight dims, and fades away. Spotlight for the display case shuts off. Curtains fall.)

End Scene 2
-Scene 3

Curtains up. Dim light on Det.Connors office. Bookshelf right backside. Lamp on his left. Small chair in front of desk. A mirror. A waterjug. Coat rack left of stage. Det. Connors at this desk writing, and going over books. He hears a knock at his door.(sound of knocking)

Connors:(Looks up in question) yea?

(In walks in Jimmy, Det. Connors partner. Jimmy is chewing gum. In his hand a tray with a plate of a half eaten sandwich, and a glass of milk/water)

Jimmy: Here you go Boss. I thought you could use some lunch.(Jimmy sets tray on rightside of desk. Sits in chair in front of Det. Connors. Almost laying in chair, legs outward, and hands together)

Connors: Thanks Jimmy.(Into his reading, and grabs a slice of sandwich with his right while looking into his book on his left. Connors is about to put sandwich in his mouth when he looks at the sandwich. He examines it.) Hey Jimmy? (Questionable tone)

Jimmy: (Playing with his gum) Yea? (Looking at Connors)

Connors: Why is there a huge bite in my sandwich?

Jimmy: (sits up straight in a matter of fact) I got hungry on the way over here. I knew you wouldn't mind Boss.....

(Det. Connnors puts sandwich down with disgust, and grabs the cop of milk, sips it, and with a look of shock, and confusion spits it out in the trash can on his left. Jimmy is startled. Det. Connors wipes his mouth with right hand. Det. Connors points to the cup in question)

Jimmy: Oh yea...(In remembrance tone) The milk was going bad, so I added water that way it can taste better to you.(Jimmy blowing bubbles with gum. Det. Connors, puts cup of milk back on tray)

Connors:(Shakes his head, and without looking at Jimmy) Remind me to never ask you fro anything again.

Jimmy:(smirks)

(A knock at the door. Jimmy stands up, and Det. Connors looks up. Det. Connors looks at Jimmy waiting for him to open the door. Another knock, Jimmy still standing watching. Connors crumbles up a piece of paper, and throws it at Jimmy's head. Jimmy flinches, and turns around Connors points to the door.

Connors: Get it knucklehead.

Jimmy:Ok Boss. (Saluting, he walks, and exit stage right)

Det:(yells) Give me 5 mins. Then send whoever in.

Jimmy:(faint response) ok.

Connors: (Gets up goes to the mirror on his left, and fix's himself. Touching up hair, wiping his mouth, and giving signature look. THen goes back to his chair. Lays back in it with hands together, putting elbows on arm chair. Checking for a bad breath, finds it disgusting, pops a mint in from his pocket)

(Lydia Burrentt walks in, and stnads half way. Connors motions her to seat. Lydia sits down straight. Crossing her legs, and placed hands on knees)

Connors: Thank you for coming on such short notice Miss Burrnett.

Lydia:(surprised, leans closer) How did you (interrupted)

Connors: Lydia Burrnett. 26yrs old. Studied in Columbia University. Major in Art History. Has been workign in The Museum of Natural History for 3 yrs.

Lydia:(In shock) How did you know that?

Connors: I make it my business to know Miss Burrnett.(Sitting up now, his hands on desk)

Lydia:(Relax's a little bit more. Looks over to the pitcher of glass) May I?

Connors:(Nodds in approvement. She gets up turning her back getting a drink. Connors looks at her file quickly, and closes it before she turned around)

Connors: So Miss Burrnett. What made you envolve yourself with History? (Putting his fingers together, and having a listening ear)

Lydia: (She sat down with her water) Well my Father was very much in love with History. It intrigued him, and so it did me. It amazed him really of the past. Inventions, adventures, sorts of treasures, cultures, why it possibly overwhelmed him. My mother was just as much in love with History. For me different kinds of treasure in anicent times really interest me. My father loved collecting antique's. It was his precious to him. (Short pause) Unfortunately my Father was a grave robber, and after his last release from prison I never saw him after that. For me my obession lie's with learning, and studying History antique's. I promised I would never follow my Father's footsteps.

Connors:(Nodds) Yes, well. Very interesting Miss Burrnett. You indeed have a history within history.

Lydia:(Nodded in confusion but agreeing)

Connors: Further on that note, I would like to find out what the Thief stole. You wouldn't mind telling me, would you?

Lydia: Of course not . We can head to the Museum right away. I keep information on every article in the museum in my office.

Connors: Good. Jimmy will call us a cab. Jimmy?(no response) Jimmy?(no response) Jimmy!!( with annoyance, and yelling)

Jimmy: (In rushes Jimmy) Yea Boss?

Connors:(annoyed) Where were you?

Jimmy: At my desk reading Boss.(Innocent)

Connors: Why didn't you come the first time then? (Frustrated)

Jimmy: I wanted to make sure you really needed me.

Connors:(annoyed sigh) Just call a cab for the 3 of us. We are heading to The Museum of Natural History.

Jimmy: Yea Boss. (Exiting stage right)

Lydia: I will accompany him.(In a sure manner)

Connors:(Nodds in plead) Thank You. (In good tone. Lydia exit stage right. Connors grabs jacket, and puts it on in front of mirror. Then grabs hat, and puts hat on. Sways in mirror. Nodds in approval. Signature look. Walks off stage right. Light dims to blackout Curtains fall.

End Scene 3
-Scene 4

From the left side of stage enter Connors, Lydia, and Jimmy. Lydia on right side of Connors. Entering into the exhibit where the crime took place. Stopping halfway on stage Connors walks around the case while Jimmy, and Lydia watch. Connors stops in front of them.

Connors: Do you mind grabbing any information you have on what's been stolen?(eyeing Lydia with suspiciousion)

Lydia: Of course Detective. (Nodds lightly, and exits stage right)

Connors:(Looks at Jimmy in question) Jimmy where is my case?

Jimmy:(Jimmy looks around, and shrugs) I must of left it in the cab.

Connors:(Annoyed, with hand on head, and rubbing like a headache)

Jimmy:(seeing his reaction) I'll....I'll go get it. (Shuffles off to the exit stage left)

Connors: Rookie. (Bends down to the glass, examining)

(From stage right enters Mis. Gillman, with cane Museum Owner.)

Miss Gillman: You there!? What are you doing? (Connors look up)

Connors:(Connors stands up) Detective Connors Mame. I'm investigating this crime.

Miss Gillman: You?(eyeing) Your a detective?(High pitched tone) Your far too young.

Lydia:(walks in from stage right with files in hand) Miss. Gillman. (Walking, and standing next to Connors)

Miss Gillman: Lydia can you believe this young pup is here to solve this crime. It doesn't even seem he can manage wiping his own nose.(Pointing her cane to Connors)

Connors:(Stepping in) Miss. Gillman I can assure you...(Interrupted by Miss. Gillman)

Miss Gillman: I thought I hired a professional. Not this welp.

(Det. Connors becomse annoyed)

Lydia: Miss Gillman please I'm sure Det. Connors is closer then you think.

(Det. Connors smirks)

Miss Gillman: (huffs) Well I doubt that. (Miss Gillman turns around) Lyda watch him carefully. (Then stops, and turns) Young men like him, can't be trusted.(Pointing to him with cane) Make sure he doesn't get lost on his way out. (Then humbles off to exit in stage right)

Lydia:(Relaxes) I'm so sorry for her rudeness. She has poor people's skills. Miss Gillman is Owner of The Museum of Natural History.

Connors: She seems like a load of fun. Her sweetness is overwhelming.(being sarcastic)

Lydia:(Lydia chuckles) Here is my file. You'll find everything in here. (Handing it to him)

Connors: Thanks Miss Burrnett. I appreciate your cooperation.(Grabs file)

Act 2
-Scene 1

(Det. Connors enters from right side of stage back to office. Finding Jimmy at his desk. Pretending to be Detective)

Jimmy:(Pretending to be a Detective)

Connors:(Connors acrosses his arms, and watches.)

Jimmy:(Started by Connors) Boss I umm.....I ummm.....(Nervous laugh) Funny thing is......(mumbling)

Connors:(he walks in shooing off Jimmy out of his chair. Jimmy jumps out to sit into another chair) Any calls? And did you find my case?

Jimmy:(holding in front of him) Yea Boss, and Chief called. He wants to know how well your investigation is coming.

Connors:(Rolls his eyes) Right. Trying to find any screw up. (Throwing a piece of paper in trash can) Jimmy let me get to work. Why don't you get us some pizza.

Jimmy:(Jimmy nodds) Yea Boss you got it. (Exit stage right)

Connors:(Into his work, and distracted. Only a dim light. Looking through folder.)

(Coming in, and walks in.)

Pauline: You called Detective?(Holding posture in femine way)

Connors:(Startled by her, he sits back eyeing her. He motions her to sit) I'm glad you got my call. (Pauline sits down like a proper lady)

Pauline: (Taking off her gloves, and hat) Why did you call me? Detective Connors.

Connors: (Leans back) I assume you know what crime has been commented in The Museum of Natural History.

Pauline: Of course I know. I fund the research. But frankly if this is going to happen, I see no more of a reason in funding.

Connors:(Hand in chin) It seems your not interested in the past. Miss Summers.

Pauline: (Huff) Why would a woman like me be into old pottery, old tools, and old stories from the past? My money is, and would be more useful in inventions for our time.

Connors: Then why contribute?(Eyeing suspiciously)

Pauline:(Sense of confidence was gone. Sadness, and innocence was on her face) It's for my Father. Before he past, he requested me for a favor. To fund the research of Archaology. I promised I would. (Puppy dog eyes)

Connors: Hmmhmm.(short pause)

Pauline: But..(Getting up, putting back her gloves, So did Det. Connors) If my money will be wasted like this, then I have no use in funding.

Connors: Well Miss Summers thank you for your time. I still have to others to interrogate, and more work to get done.

Pauline:Your Welcome. I hope your investigation goes well.(Turns to shake hand. Then turns to leave. Walks half way then stops when Jimmy enters. Looks up and down at Jimmy. He puts big grin, and tips his hat. She puffs in pitiful way. Exit stage right)

Jimmy: (Jimmy does disrespectful face behind her back) Hey boss, who was that? (Turning back)

Connors: That was Pauline Summers. She is a sponsor for research in Archaeology at The Museum. While I was on my way here, I called her to find her story. Miss Burrnett gave me list of names of who is envolved with the item stolen. (Sitting back down) Now I have to head back to the Museum to find any clues. (Putting, and organizing papers)

Jimmy:(Thought popped into head) Oh! By the way Boss. Chief called, and wants you to meet him there now.

Connors:(Look annoyed, and shocked) You mean he's there now?

Jimmy: Yea Boss, or at least heading there.

Connors:(Sitting back in chair giving huge sigh) Great. The Old man wants to babysit me. He's watching me like a hawk stalking his prey.

Jimmy:(chuckle) Good one Boss. Where did you get that one?

Connors: I don't know. But pretty good use of words right?

Jimmy: (Nodds, grabs his coat)

Connors:(Grabs coat walks out stage right. Jimmy hurridly follows)

Curtains Fall.

End Scene 1
-Scene 2

Curtains Up

(Walking from left stage Connors, and Jimmy in back of him. Chief inspecting a pieve of glass while talking to a cop. Connors, and Jimmy stop in middle stage while Chief on right stage.)

Connors:(A thought popped in Head) You know Jimmy. Going through the suspects. Reading, and working in solving this mystery. I can't help but figure out one thing?

Jimmy:(Look of interest) What Boss? What is it?

Connors: (Turns to face Jimmy) What happened to the pizza I told you to get?

Jimmy:(Stunned of remembrance) I thought....You see....(nervous laugh) the pizza....

Connors:(Putting hand up) Jimmy, you already solved it for me. (annoyed)

Jimmy: Yea Boss.

Connors:Why don't you take pictures of the crime scene.

Jimmy:(Saluting. Jimmy walks around taking pictures of back of stage left through right)

Chief:(Finished talking to signals cop to leave. Cop exit stage right. Chief looks to Connors. Huffs, shakes head. Walks over to confront him) So Connors figured out what your looking for? Or found yourself in a hile where you can't climb out off. (Hands in pocket, and smiling)

Connors: (chuckles) Still trying to solve why the Donut Shop has closed down?

Chief:(Annoyed but smiles, and chuckles) Anyways how's your case coming along? (Walking around Connors to see any weakness)

Connors:(Confident) It's going just fine. Thanks for asking. Any news for me?

Chief: (Pulling out a plastice bag with a piece of glass) Actually now that you mention it, I found this.

Connors:(Takes the bag, with hand on chin. Turns it around.) Hmmm? (Puts it down from his face. Looking in Chief's eye's with confident) Well Chief, It looks like your on to something.

Chief:(Eyeing him suspiciously) Do you know what it is? (Folding his arms)

Connors:(Jimmy comes up behind him) Chief, come on. Any Detective would know it's a sample of Deoxyribo Nucleic Acid. (With confidence)

Chief: (confused) Does that mean fingerprint?

Connors:(mumbles with confidence) Umm... of course Chief. That's another term for it.

Chief:(Still confused) Right. Well then I will leave it in your hands. The Mayor is meeting me for lunch. I'm sure you wont screw up while I'm gone. (Exit Right stage)

Jimmy: Boss, that stands for DNA.

Connors: Samething Jimmy. You got to learn how to keep on your feet, when you got no ground to stand on.

Jimmy:(Looking confused) Right Boss.

Connors:(Connors turns around, hands bag to Jimmy) Here. Take this back to the office. See if you can make a bigger imprint.

Jimmy: Right Boss. But what are you gonna do? (questionable look)

Connors: I'll go find us a match.

Jimmy:(Jimmy nodds, and exit stage left)

Connors:(Inspecting around. Tasting things then spiting out with disgust)

(From stage right enters Pauline Summers. Pauline comes behind Connors. She fixes herself. Then lightly tap him. Connors turns around, and stands up. Pauline Summers smile in flirtous way)

Connors:(While dipping his hat) Good Evening Miss Summers.

Pauline:Oh please Detective. Call me Pauling. (short pause) I was hoping to find you here. (walking in front to his left side eyeing from a far)

Connors:(Turns around looking at her back) Looking for me on purpose are we?

Pauline: Yes well. I know this case is mighty stressful on you. So I'm having a little shindig if you will. All those who worked so hard in this Museum deserves some lifting up. It's tomorrow night. I would love if you could join.(Turns around)

Connors: Are you trying to lift up there spirits. Or is this a celebration to an end in funding Miss Summers? (Walking around her)

Pauline: (smirk) Detective, how dare you think that way? Why, I'm starting to think I qualify as a suspect.(Looking at him while rubbing her fur)

Connors:(He comes closer to her) Miss Summers. I take everything into consideration.(Serious) It's my job.

Pauline:(serious tone) Well (Short pause) You take your job seriously, and I respect that in a man. (Walks towards stage right) I'm sure you know where I'm located. Please Detective reconsidered. (Turns around) You will be my guest of honor.(exit stage right)

Connors:(Rolls eye's, and shakes head. Turns around, and exit stage left)

Scene 3

(Detective enters from stage right. Finds Jimmy at his desk placing photo's. Jimmy looks up pleased to see Detective. Connors takes off coat.)

Jimmy:(Jimmy comes around from desk, and grabs coat puts it on hanger) Boss. I got enlargement on the fingerprints.

Connors:(Detective sits, and looks over them) Great Jimmy. Were so close in solving this mystery.(Puts them down. Jimmy sits down)

Jimmy:(Questionable tone) Boss (short pause) What is the mystery? What was stolen?

Connors:(Shakes his head) Jimmy, didnt' you read the plaque on the display case. It's the priceless....(Interrupted by a knock)

Jimmy:(turns around, and then looks at Connors) You expecting someone Boss?

Connors:(confident look) The things I've learned as a Detective, expect everything, and anything.

Jimmy:(Jimmy gets up, and exit stage right. A few seconds later he rushes back in) It's the Chief Boss.(worried tone)

Chief:(Chief pushes through Jimmy) Get back to your playpen kid. Us grown-ups need to talk.

Jimmy: (Exit stage right mumbling whatevers)

Chief:(Sits down in front of Connors. Giving suspicious look) So (short pause) You invited to the soiree tomorrow night?

Connors:(Looks at him) You?

Chief:(Playing with his thumbs) I asked you first Connors.

Connors:(shrugs) Maybe. What's it to you?

Chief:(Annoyed, firm) I came by to make sure we don't wear the samething.(Gets up, walks halfway then turns, and points) Don't screw up Connors. Consider this a warning. If you do anything to ruin the party...I'll make sure your kicked down so low, you'll be working as a security guard at a Supermarket. (Turns to leave)

Connors: Afraid of looking bad in front of the Mayor Chief? Don't worry Chief. I'm sure he'll blow his whistle, you will come running up, and he will give you a special treat.

Chief:(Turns around with anger) Watch it Connors. Your swimming with sharks, and I see no land in the horizon.

Connors:(short pause, and confused) What is that suppose to mean? (smiling confused)

Chief:(Comes up, and puts hands in table close to Connors face) That means when I solve the case, you'll be under my control not the Mayor's.

Connors:Careful Chief. I don't need to suck up to the Mayor. I'm naturally liked.

Chief: Not for long Connors. (Exit stage right)

(Enters Jimmy finds Connors about to throw away fingerprints enlargement. Shocked, and walks up to desk.)

Jimmy: Boss what are you doing? You need those for the party.

Connors:(Throwing them out) There fake Jimmy.

Jimmy:(Jimmy sits down) How do you know?

Connors:(Sits back in chair) Chief just told me a secret. But secretly not knowing the secret.

Jimmy:(Scratching his head) And what was the secret?

Connors:He just threatened me by saying he's going to solve the case before I do. Which in doing so... Why would he give me fingerprint? Why would he help me in solving this case unless he would be trying to get me off track.

Jimmy:You got a point Boss.

Connors:But Thankfully I found my own fingerprint.(taking a small piece a paper with tape on it) Sad thing about our police department. They never think about the Thief's escape.(Jimmy holds it to the light) The thief escaped from a far window in the Museum. He forgot to put back on his gloves before opening the window.

Jimmy: Great Boss. I will enlarge this tonight.

Connors:Good. (short pause) Only problem is...How am I going to get fingerprints without Chief watching me like a shark?

Jimmy: You'll figure it out Boss. We should getsome shut eye. We have a party to go to tomorrow night, and I need my beauty rest for any ladies that might look my way.

Connors:(confused) Hint on the "might look your way." And who said you were going?

Jimmy:(Gave a look) Partners remember? I scratch your back, you scratch mine.

Connors: Alright. Alright. But your not going to play, your going to work.

Jimmy:(confused, and annoyed) What are you gonna do?

Connors: (Putting hands behind head, and closing eyes) I'm going to enjoy, ad watch you work. So scram, and hit the hay.

Jimmy:(Attitude) Yea yea yea.(Exit stage right)

Connors:Night Jimmy?(Yells)

Jimmy:(Faint sound) Night! (annoyed)

Curtains Close

End of Scene 3
Scene 4

(Miss Pauling Summers Party. People gathered, table for finger food. Decorations. Connors enters from left stage with Jimmy behind him. Everyone has a glass of wine.)

Jimmy:(Comes from behind him) Wowo Boss. They sure look fancy.

Connors:(Hands in pocket) IF you call eating dead snails, using daddy's money, and stealing from the worthless people under them, then yea, they do look fancy. (Connors looks around, and can regonize most of the people)

Pauline:(While fixing snacks, and saying hello to everyone from the far right of stage. See's Connor, walk up to him) Detective. (Short pause while still walking towards him. Then stops in front of him)

Connors:(Tips his hat) Good Evening Pauling. You look lovely.

Pauline:(While playing with her fur) Why thank you Detective. This outfit is all the way from Paris.(Looking behind him. Annoyed seeing Jimmy) What's he doing here?

Connors:(Jimmy busy looking around, then goes off to eat food.) He's my partner Pauline. where ever I go he goes.

Pauline: (Disgusted) Will he need to be cared for?

Connors:As long as you don't have any cats, and don't worry he's potty trained. (sarcastic)

Pauline:(Looks up to Connors) Oh Forgive me. I didn't mean to undermine him. Please enjoy the party. Make yourself at home. (Looks over shoulder) If you'll excuse me. I have to greet other guest. (Walks away to stage left to talk to friends)

Connors:(Puts coat on racket, and walks to the food table to talk to Jimmy. He is surrounded with young girls. Over hearing Jimmy from behind)

Jimmy:So after I rescued the Princess from death dealing fall. She rewarded me with the choice between riches, and living as her royal security or return back home. (Sipping wine)

Extra:What did you decide?

Jimmy:Well since my fiancee was back home, I chose my love. But sadly as I arrived back to be with her, I found her gone. Leaving me with my heart broken in two.(Jimmy's face sad. Girls in aww. Connors roll's eye's. Then grabs Jimmy)

Jimmy:Hey?(Jimmy whirled around to face Connors)

Connors:I thought I told you to start working as soon as we arrived.

Jimmy: Ok, ok. (annoyed. Goes under the table)

Connors:(Turns around to find a unfamiliar face in front of him)

Charlie: Detective Connors is it?

Connors:(Cocky) Why, how did you.....(interrupted)

Charlie:Why detective, I feel upset of you not knowing me.

Connors:(Look intently) Miss Lawerance I assume.

Charlie:(Smiled with delight) Yes Detective. I'm glad to see you.

Connors:The Archaeologist who discovered the.......

Charlie:Yes, yes that's me. Oh, and of course my partner Walt Douglas.(Was behind her, and comes to her side)

Walter: Please to meet you Detective. I'm a Paleontologist.

Connors:(Looking at both of them) Interesting. Study of fossils.

Walter: My speciality. Eversince I was a child, I loved Dinosaurs.

Connors: And how do you know eachother?

Charlie: (Looks at Walter) We've been partners for the longest time. We decided to work together as a team.

Walter: We wanted to experience different fields.

Charlie: We want to know if you are in hot pursuit on our artifact. (sadly)

Connors: I'm very close Miss Lawerance. We will soon have it back.(Charlie nodding in sadness)

Walter: It's just we worked so hard in looking for it. That is why we joined forces if you will. We wanted to share it with the world, and the pay wasn't half bad either. We have been searching for it eversince we met.

Charlie: (Interrupting) The point is Detective. Please find it. I will lose hope if it's not returned.

Connors:(Places hand on shoulder) Well, since you put it like that. I will work extra hard Miss Lawerance.

Charlie: (Grateful) Thank You. (short pause) Let's go Walter. Detective has others to address. And so do we. (Shakes Detective hand, and walks and exit stage left)

Walter: Thank you so much Detective Connors. We really appreciate it. (shakes hand)

Connors:Your welcome Mr. Douglas. I hope you'll be there when I do find it? I would very much like to hand it back to you, and Miss Lawerance. (shakes hand)

Walter: Ahhh

Connors: Oh I'm sorry.

Walter: It's alright. I have a cut on my finger. It must be a splinter still in there. But anyways, Of course. We'll be there. (Nodds, and exit stage left)

(Connors is about to turn, and leave to stage left when Chief comes in front of him)

Chief: Detective Connors. Enjoying yourself?

Connors:Nope. I'm actually working. You? How was your toe kissing night with the Mayor? Is there anytime to embarrass you?

Chief:(chuckle) Unfortunately he has left early. So No there is no chance.

Connors:Darn. I missed it. In fact it was the only thing I was looking forward too. I thought I would make you proud.

Chief:(Chuckles in anger. exit stage right)

Connors:(Turns, and goes back to the food bar) Jimmy? (Whispers)

(Suddenly from under the table a hand grabs his leg)

Connors: Jimmy what are you doing?(Jimmy doesn't say a word. Connors sneaks under the table cloth. Few seconds of rustliing, and Connors crawling out in front of Miss Gillman. She looks down on the floor. Connors looks up)

Miss Gillman:(In disgust while shaking her head) You pig.

Connors:(Standing up with few papers slipping into pocket) No Miss Gillman. I was just grabbing what I dropped...(Interrupted)

Miss Gillman: RIght. And I suppose they magically flew under the table cloth. (Short awkward pause.) Disgusting brute. (walks away to talk to someone else)

(Jimmy comes from under the table. To stand next to Connors)

Jimmy: What's her problem? (Brushing hisself off)

Connors: I don't know. (Confused) My good looks, and sense of charm must of got the best of her.

JImmy: Ohh

Connors: Well since were done here, I'll see you tomorrow at my office. (Exit stage left)

Jimmy:(Calling after him) Right then. I see you tomorrow.(Stands there then walks off to stage left)

Curtains Fall

End of Scene 4
Act 3
-Scene 1

In afternoon Jimmy enters from stage right. Walks in, and finds it empty. Jimmy has a paper brown bag. Looks around then puts brown bag in desk. Right at that moment in walks Connors rushes in to sit at his desk. Connors sets briefcase on right side of desk. He looks at bag.

Connors:(Confused) Whats this?

Jimmy:(looking proud of himself) Got you lunch Boss.

Connors:(Look of surprise) You mean (short pause) There's actual food in that bag.

Jimmy: Yep. (Sitting himself down)

Connors:(Open it slowly then puts hand in bag. Scared of might what be inside. Pulls out a muffin. Examines it. Gently squeezes it smells it. Then bites into it. Enjoying it) Thanks Jimmy. Now today is our last day of figuring out who is the thief.

Jimmy:(Startled) Why Boss? (worried)

Connors:(Taking a small bite, and saying as a matter of fact) I don't know. But today seems like a good day to wrap up this case.

Jimmy:(Relaxes) Oh ok.

Connors:(Connors takes file out of briefcase. Opens up folder, and looking at the pictures comparing them)

Jimmy: So Boss. What do you think?

Connors:(confused while comparing. Places them to show Jimmy) Is that a smuge?

JImmy:(Looking intently) Nah Boss. That's how it came out.

Connors:Your "right", cuz the fingerprint that I found has some kind of...(interrupted)

Jimmy:Cut?!

Connors:(Points to Jimmy) Right. The suspect fingerprint, and this person's fingerprint match, and the cut is in the exact spot.

Jimmy:(Looks intently) Your right Boss. But I don't remember who had this fingerprint.

Connors:(Putting hand on chin in thinking, and smirking position) I think I do.

Curtains Fall

End Scene 1
Scene 2

(At the Museum of Natural History. The crime scene. On the right side of stage stand Miss. Gillman, Lydia Burrnettl, Pauline Summers. Facing them is Charlette Lawerance, and Walter Douglas.)

Charlie: Thanks for coing everyone. I know this week ahs been brutal for all of us. Especially me, and Walter.

Walter:But we have good news but regrettably sad news for you all. But we really hope you find this promising for us. (Charlie and Walter look at eachother)

Miss Gillman: Well get on with it. (Impatient)

Charlie: Well. Me, and Walter have been given an offer that we can't refuse. Oxford has offered us triple the amount to come work for them, and join others in there research.

Walter:Were to report to London tomorrow.(Everyone looked at eachother)

Lydia:Oh how wonderful. You both deserve this. (Walking to Charlette, and Walter giving both of them a hug)

Miss Gillman: Well, be careful out there. London is a wacky place. You two wear something warm. You hear me?

Walter: Yes Miss Gillman we will.

Pauline: Honestly I'm going to miss you both. (Hugging Charlie)

Charlie:Thank You Pauline.

Walter: And we willl not be needing your funding.

Pauline:(Looking excited) Oh well. In that case, I won't.

Charlie:(Looked at Walter) Thank You all for beind behind us in this. We will sorely miss you all.

Walter: We promise to keep in touch. But for now we have a farewell party in the lounge.

(Everyone ohh and aww. Turned around)

Charlie:We will be there in a minute.

(Everyone exits stage right except Charlie and Walter)

Walter:(Awaits for everyone to leave. And big sigh) Were going to miss this place.

Charlie:(Nodding her head) Yup.(Looking around) Lot's of memories.

Connors:Interesting Miss Lawerance. (In walks Connors from stage left) I would assume you would try to escape.

Charlie:(Surprise) Detective.What a surprise. Comes to say goodbye?

Connors:No Miss Lawerance. I come to take you, and Mr. Douglas in.

Walter:Excuse me?

Jimmy:(Entering from stage left) We got you Mr. Douglas, and Miss Lawerance.

Connors:We have evidence of your crime Mr. Douglas.

Charlie:No you don't.

Jimmy:Yes we do mame.

Connors:Now (walking slowly towards them)Your going to come quietly. The both of you.

(At that second lights turned off. Rustling, and sound came into the room)

Connors:Owww

Jimmy:Sorry Boss.

(Chief turned back on the lights. Finding on left side of stage. Connors holding Miss Lawerance, and Jimmy holding Walter)

Chief:What is going on in here?(The rest of the cast comes in with 2 cops behind Chief)

Connors:(Connors signals the 2 cops to hold Lawerance, and Douglas) Glad that you are here Chief Miss Lawrence and Mr. Douglas are the thieves we've been looking for. (WALKING TOWARDS THE CHIEF) I found a finger print on one of the back windows. (HANDING THE CHIEF THE PICTURE) So to find the match of the suspect. At the party, Jimmy here took pictures of everyone's finger prins from their cups. I compaired the finger prints and found a match.

Chief: These pictures have a smudge on them.

Det: not a smudge. A cut. (GRABBING WALTER'S HAND).

Walter: Owww!

Det: (HOLDING HAND UP) A piece of glass stuck in there still, right Mr. Douglas?

Chief: It is a match. But what was the motive?

Charlie: I'll tell you the motive. (WITH ANGER) I was sick of giving my priceless findings to a cheap, greedy museum who only gave me scraps for my work. So when I met Walter, I planned to steal it back and sell it on the black market.

Det: (LOKING AT CHIEF IN A STRANGE WAY) Well there goes your motive.

Chief: Well your days are numbered Miss Lawrence. Take them away. (TWO COPS TAKE THEM AWAY. EVERYONE IS SHOCKED BY THE EVENT. CHIEF WALKS OVER TO DETECTIVE AND JIMMY). I can't believe my tongue is going to actually say these words, but, (SHORT PAUSE) Good job Connors and Jimmy. We'll talk later about your accomplishment. (WALKS BACK).

Mrs. Gillman: (WALKS UP TO DETECTIVE) On behalf of The Museum and most of us here, we thank you detective.

Det: Thank you Mrs. Gillman

Cop #1: (ENTERS FROM LEFT STAGE WITH A BIG KEY AND HANDS IT TO THE DETECTIVE.)

Jimmy: That's what we've been looking for?

Det: Yup. The Diamond Key to Untold Riches. Said to be given to captain Jack Du Crane in the 1700's by the Egyptians. (EVERYONE IN A HALF CIRCLE)

Jimmy: (TAKES IT FROM CONNORS) Huh??? It doesn't even look like a....(JIMMY DROPS THE KEY, IT SHATTERS. SILENCE FOR A FEW SECONDS, EVERYONE IN SHOCK). Boss?

Det: (IN SHOCK) Yea Jimmy?

Jimmy: Diamonds can't shatter, right?

Det: No Jimmy, they can't.

CURTAINS FALL (END OF SCENE 2)



ACT 3 (SCENE 3)

CURTAIN RISES


(GARBAGE CAN IN THE MIDDLE OF STAGE. A WOMAN LOOKS AROUND SUSPICIOUSLY. SHE PUTS HER HAND IN THE GARBAGE CAN AND PULLS OUT A PACKAGE. HOLDS THE PACKAGE TO THE SIDE FOR EVERYONE TO SEE THE PICTURE OF THE KEY ON THE PACKAGE. SNEAKS OFF STAGE LEFT.)







Curtains up. Blackout. Sound of glass breaking. Lightspot on display case, and glass shattered. Music "da, da, da". Curtains fall.

© Copyright 2007 Captain Stevie (gwshark90 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1367428-The-Deceiver-Of-Untold-Riches