*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1367747-Star-Wars-Musical-Rebel-Part-2
by Jaren
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Sci-fi · #1367747
Part 2 of Star Wars, Musical Rebel.
3 and ½ Hours Later...

         The ship's comm system chirped. “This is Captain Nathanael to Amund and Karmen. Wake up sleepy heads and report to the bridge. We're coming up on the Alderaan system.”
         Amund groggily stumbled out of bed. He was still dressed, having not the energy to undress earlier. He met Karmen in the hall outside his room, and they walked together to the bridge. One thing Karmen mentioned that Amund hadn't known, was that Nathanael had given him a bit of combat training during the trip. Karmen bragged that the captain had said the he'd shown quite a knack for it.
         Amund was completely alert upon reaching the bridge, the cold air in the corridors thrusting him fully awake. Stepping onto the bridge along side his friend, he saw the comforting view of twirling stars indicating they were still in hyperspace. Captain Nathanael turns towards them. “Good, you're just in time. Prepare for your first look at the Alderaan system. Lieutenant Elara, prepare to disengage hyperdrive.”
         “Yes sir.”
         “On my mark, wait... wait... Mark!”
         A slight lurch was felt, and the twirling stars disappeared, replaced not by the planet Alderaan, but by a large asteroid field. An alarm sounded, and the Exodus shuddered. Clunks and clanks could be heard throughout the ship as it plowed through the asteroids. “Raise shields,” Captain Nathanael yelled, “and tell me where that stuff came from, there's no asteroid field by Alderaan! Wer'ty, confirm this is the Alderaan system.”
         “Confirmed sir.”
         “But... If is this is the Alderaan system, where's Alderaan... Wer'ty, where's that planet?”
         “I don't know sir!” Wer'ty hollered from his station. “The only things I'm picking up on sensors is the asteroid field. Wait, there's something else out there... Its... Imperial TIE fighters? Confirmed, there's a wing of twelve TIE fighters converging on our vessel.”
         “What!? Where did they come from? No, scratch that question, we'll worry about it later. Garp, activate the ship's comm system.” He waited for a moment while Garp found and flipped the right switch. “Alright crew, listen up. We have a wing of TIEs closing in. We don't know what they want. Just in case its something serious I want all crew members at their combat stations. Charge the turbolasers and activate the quad guns. If they want a fight, they'll get more than they bargained for.” Nathanael turned to first officer. “Jaren, what's the status of the cloaking device?”
         “Off line sir. The impacts we took damaged some power relays. The device isn't getting enough energy. I'm trying to bypass them but it's gonna take some time.”
         “Right. Garp, hail the lead TIE. Lets find out what they want.”
         “Yes sir. Hailing channel open.”
         “TIE fighter, this is Captain Nathanael P. Capulet of the starship Exodus. Can you tell us what happened to Alderaan?”
         There was silence for a few moments. Then the TIE leader replied. “Exodus, you are ordered to power down your vessel. A Imperial transport will arrive shortly and dock. They will carry out an examination of your ship. If everything is in order, you will be allowed to continue on your way.”
         “You didn't answer my question. Where is Alderaan?”
         “That is restricted information.”
         “Look, I'm on a tight schedule, and if you're not going to tell me where Alderaan is, then I'm heading to my next stop. Can't this inspection wait? Tell you what, I'll get a class two inspection at my next port. That's much better than this class one you want.”
         “Negative. You will hold position here.” The comm channel clicked off. Nathanael turned to his crew. “We can't let them board us. They'd find the weapons for sure.”
         Karmen spoke up. “You mean you are carrying illegal cargo? Why didn't you tell us?”
         “Karmen,” Amund reminded him, “you yourself may be illegal cargo right now.”
         “Hmm... I guess you are right. Carry on Captain, I won't protest the use of force.”
         Captain Nathanael looked around at his bridge crew. They all returned his gaze. These were good men, every one loyal to the core. These were men he'd fought beside, and was about to do so again. Men were about to die, and not just TIE fighter pilots. But it was a price he would gladly pay for the alliance, even if the life was his own. And he knew every man of his crew felt the same. Taking a deep breath, he began issuing orders. “Alright men, lets do this! Wer'ty, bring targeting systems online. Start feeding data to the big guns. Once they have a lock, tell them to open fire. We'll take the TIEs by surprise. Jaren, any luck with the cloak?”
         “No sir, we're going to need new relays before its coming online again. We have spares, but they'll take a while to install.”
         “Get one of your men on it, I need you on the bridge right now. Wer'ty, status?”
         “The turbo-lasers are receiving the data now sir. They'll be firing in three... two... one...”
         The Exodus shuddered as its four turbolaser batteries spat huge blobs of red energy into the approaching TIEs. Three were vaporized, with the rest breaking formation and accelerating to attack speed.
         “Wer'ty, status of the quad guns?” Nathanael asked his gunnery officer.
         “Every one is activated and has a gunner.”
         “Good, because here they come...” The Exodus quivered as green laser bolts lanced out from the TIEs, striking their shields. TIE fighters screamed past the bridge viewports, red bolts joining the green in a mesmerizing light-show. TIEs juked madly outside the ship, making their runs along the hull, concentrating their fire in specific locations attempting to breach the shields. In a moment so sudden one could easily miss it, a TIE made a mis-step and was  pierced by a quartet of red death. It exploded in a spectacular ball of fire, its remains blown in all directions.
         Nathanael smiled. Four down, eight to go.
         The battle continued to rage. Another TIE was destroyed, its solar panel blasted off causing it to spiraled into the Exodus' shields and detonate. The Exodus took its own share of pounding however. The TIEs managed to breach the aft shields, staying in the Exodus' blind spot. The fighters poured fire through the gap, their lasers burning away hull plating, reaching through to crucial systems. They were finally driven from the breach by a some fancy maneuvering by Elara, and a  turbolaser salvo that blasted apart two more TIEs.
         Seeming to have had enough, the remaining five fighters broke off their attack and moved to outside weapons range. There they held position, circling.
         On the bridge, Captain Nathanael went over a ship diagnosis. “Alright, we lost one quad, and have a hull breach in section 2C. We have repair crews working on them now. Jaren, what's the situation with that hole by the engines?”
         “No serious damage Captain. The TIEs were driven off just in time. A little farther and they would have hit some key systems.”
         “Can we go to hyperspace or continue with the sublights?”
         “Negative. That ingenious flying by Elara weakened the area already damaged by the TIEs, jumping to hyperspace or even activating the sublights engines again would rip quite a gash. I request permission to go down there and oversee repairs personally sir.”
         “Request granted. I know how much you love that power core.”
         “You just know me to well. Thanks Captain.” Jaren practically ran from the bridge.
         “Sorry Elara, looks like you won't have anything to fly for awhile.” Nathanael said, addressing his pilot.”
         “Ah dang it. Would you mind if I kept my seat though? You'll need me here when the engines are back up.”
         “Request granted. Resume your station.” Captain Nathanael turned to his two passengers. “How are you two doing?”
         Amund answered for them both. “Pretty much fine Captain, though I believe Karmen would like to go to his quarters.”
         “I'm not one for battles, you see. And my recently gained skill with a blaster is not useful in this situation.” Karmen explained.
         “You have my permission.”
         “Thank you.” The musician walked off the bridge.
         Amund cleared his throat. Nathanael looked back at him. “Yes Amund?”
         “Well Captain, I was hoping we could talk for a few minutes, in private.”
         “Of course Amund. Why don't we step into the briefing room.” He moved forward and the door swished opened. Nathanael stepped through and Amund followed. “Now, what is it you want?”
         “I want to know the truth about you. Just who it is you're working for. I had a look in your cargo hold. Those aren't just small arms. There's even an AT-ST in there!”
         Nathanael looked at Amund for a few seconds, seeming to size him up, then spoke. “Alright. Since you're not good with the Empire right now, I'll tell you. Its not like you can go turn me in after all. You already know my name, Nathanael Capulet. I and my crew, we're smugglers for the Rebel Alliance. One reason why our ship is so heavily armed. Now, since I answered a question of yours, let me ask of you one. Your name is familiar to me. What is your last name?”
         “Hunter. My name is Amund Hunter.”
         “Hunter...” Nathanael pondered the name for a couple minutes, then his eyes lit. “Canis, that's what your code-name was, wasn't it.” It wasn't a question.
         “Don't speak that word to me.” Amund growled. “I left the Alliance a long time ago.”
         “Well, looks like you're getting back involved. And just so you know, my code-name is Genesis. If you don't believe I'm a rebel, look it up if you want proof.  I'm sure you've still got the sources to.”
         “I won't need to. Considering our current situation, I doubt you could be anything but.”
         Their conversation was ended by a hail from the bridge. “Captain, you'd better get up here.”
         “Coming Lieutenant.” Nathanael jogged onto the bridge, Amund steps behind. “What is it?”
         Wer'ty gestured at the viewscreen. “Take a look for yourself.” Nathanael looked and cursed. Outside was a massive wedge-shaped Victory class Star Destroyer. At 900 meters long, it was more than 4 times larger than the Exodus. Armed with 10 quad turbolasers, 40 double turbolasers, and 10 tractor beam emitters, it had enough firepower to take on several Corellian Corvettes. As Nathanael watched, two wings of TIEs issued from its hanger along side four Lambda-class shuttles.
         Regaining control, Nathanael motioned to Garp. “Open a channel to the core room.”
         “Channel open.”
         Nathanael continued to gaze out the viewport as he spoke. “Jaren, I could really use a hyperdrive or cloak right about now.”
         Aaren's voice was strained. “I'm working fast as I can sir. The hyperdrive should be online in ten minutes.”
         “We don't have ten minutes! There's a Victory Star Destroyer out there heading for us right now!”
         “I'm sorry sir, the hyperdrive will be online in ten minutes, no less.”
         Nathanael sighed. “Affirmative Jaren, I know you're doing your best.” He paused, then his eyes lit. “Stop working on the hyperdrive, get to fixing the sublights. I've got an idea. How long will sublight repairs take?”
         “I'm not sure, I've still got to patch that weak area, on top of fixing the sublights themselves. It's going to take awhile.”
         “Affirmative. Over and out.”
         Captain Nathanael P. Capulet turned to his face his bridge crew once more. “You all heard him. He needs time, and by stars we'll give him some. Amund, take Jaren's station. Wer'ty, I want three of our batteries raking that Star Destroyer, concentrate on their tractor emitters. The other will focus on those shuttles. Understood?”
         “Feeding them the info now sir.”
         Nathanael took his place in the Captain's seat, his crew around him preparing for battle again. “Now we wait.”
         The wait wasn't long. The Imperials closed quickly. Two minutes had elapsed when they struck. One and a half wings of TIEs hit first hurtling ahead of the pack. Their green bolts splashed against Exodus' forward shields. As intimidating as the sight was, they did little damage. The fighters soared past on both sides, beginning a long turn to bring them back around at the ship's engines. Several TIEs were destroyed in the pass, nothing left of them but expanding debris clouds.
         The second wave inflicted much heavier damage. They came in slowly, the TIES shielding the shuttles. The Exodus' turbolasers were having trouble targeting them, the TIEs confusing their target locks. Meanwhile they got closer and closer.
         To make matters worse, the Star Destroyer entered firing range. Its many turbolaser batteries opened fired, pounding the Exodus. The bridge shuddered from hit after hit. Garp and Wer'ty were thrown from their stations, Garp knocked unconscious. Wer'ty picked himself off the floor, spitting blood.
         Captain Nathanael joined Amund at his station. The damage reports coming in made his heart sink. Shields were down. There were breaches in multiple sections, two turbolaser batteries were destroyed, the others disabled. On top of this, the shuttles were almost in position to begin boarding.
         “Captain,” Elara said, the Star Destroyer has stopped shooting.” The bridge trembled. “And they've locked a tractor beam. They're pulling us towards them.”
         “Well, at least they stopped shooting. About the tractor, I bet they're going to try and bring us along side so they'll have easier access. Wer'ty, get the rifles from that weapons locker. Elara, take Garp's station. Call for a medic to assist him, then issue a ship wide boarding alert.  When that's done, get me Jaren.”
         “Aye sir.” She replied, sliding into Garp's seat.
         The medic arrived quickly. With help from Amund he loaded Garp onto a floating stretcher and pushed him out the door. Returning from assisting him, Amund caught the tail-end of Nathanael's conversation with Jaren.
         “I don't care about the sensitive systems. That's where we'll make our stand. Is that clear?”
         Jaren's subdued voice came over the comm. “Perfectly sir. I'll begin setting up the barricades now.”
         As Elara closed the channel, Amund questioned Nathanael. “What was that about?”
         “Jaren doesn't approve of my choice of locations for making a stand. I decided the core room is much more defensible than the bridge, but Jaren doesn't like the idea of lots of blasterfire by the core.”
         Amund nodded his approval. “Yes, the bridge has no areas we can retreat too, and they could hit us through the viewports.
         Wer'ty handed them both a rifle and spare power packs, then shouldered his carbine and saluted.
         “All bridge members are now armed and ready sir.”
         “Good. Amund, do we have any additional hull breaches?”
         Amund scanned his panel, then shook his head. “None Captain. Wait, yeah, actually I just noticed one. Section 1B. Just now happened. A shuttle?”
         “Yes. Alright crew, we have our first destination. Let's see if we can't slow down those Imperial scum. By my count, there's going to be 80 of the slime, 20 coming from each shuttle. Nothing we can't handle. We need them eliminated before the star destroyer pulls us along side.”
         “I have a different destination in mind Captain.” Amund replied. “Karmen's quarters. He is my primary concern. I'll get him to the core if I can.”
         “Right then. Good luck.” He turned back to his crew. “Follow me. Time to kick some stormtrooper butt!”

Chapter 4: Things are Really Worse

         Amund found Karmen safe in his quarters, though the musician was exceedingly nervous.
         “Amund!” Karmen exclaimed, giving his friend a hug. “It is good to see you. With the ship rocking like it is, I wasn't sure what to do. But I assume you do?”
         “Of course I do. Here.” He handed Karmen a pistol. “We're headed to the Core Room, and there might be stormtroopers in our path. But there's a problem, I don't remember how to get there. Happen to have a map handy?”
         “Oh no Amund, I don't have a map. Not in physical form anyway.” Karmen tapped the side of his head. “In here I have a map. I remember from my tour. Now, if you would kindly move, I shall lead us there, yes?” Without waiting for a reply, Karmen slid around Amund and trotted down the corridor, blaster pistol out with the safety off. Clicking the safety off his own weapon, a Golan Arms Assault Rifle, Amund followed Karmen down the hall. Karmen may not have been good at coming up with plans, but he didn't waste time in implementing them.
         The first few hallways were clear, no enemies to be seen. They were into Section 2D before they ran into trouble. Coming around a corner they ran smack into a squad of stormtroopers. Thankfully they were as startled as Amund and Karmen, or this tale would have ended then and there. As it was, Amund had a chance to pull Karmen back around the corner milliseconds before the Imperials opened fire. A barrage of blaster bolts turned a good part of the bulkhead next to them into swirling ash. The two retreated back down the corridor, and ducked inside a large room. It was a storage chamber, with many piles of boxes and crates scattered around. Amund and Karmen took cover behind one such pile moments before the Imperials entered. The four stormtroopers fanned out, searching for the two fugitives. “It won't be long before they find us,” Amund whispered to Karmen, “so we're going on the offensive. I hope you really are good with that pistol. Take the one on the far right, then make a break for the door. I'll distract the others. Ready?”
         Karmen gripped his pistol tightly and nodded grimly. “Ready.”
         Amund switched the selector on his rifle to full auto, then started counting. “Three... two... one... Go!” The two broke cover, Amund springing forward, his rifle spitting red death. Stormtroopers dived for cover. Karmen snapped off a three shot burst, catching his target in the stomach and leg. He went down hard, his rifle flying. Karmen sprinted past the body into the hallway, joined by Amund seconds later. The musician blasted the door's control panel, and a solid durasteel plate slammed shut, trapping the remaining stormtroopers.
         “Good job Karmen.” Amund said as he slapped a fresh powerpack into his rifle. “You really can shoot. Come on, lets get before they blow their way out.” Already the door was trembling as the stormtroopers bombarded it. Karmen could only nod as he gasped for breath. It was a moment before he could speak.
         “What are we standing around for then?” Holding his side, Karmen forced himself to start  jogging down the corridor. Amund quickly caught up. “A little tired are we?”
         Karmen was panting as he answered. “I'm not used to such extreme physical activities. I assume this will get easier as time goes on?”
         Amund laughed. “Extreme physical activities? You've done hardly anything. But in answer to your question, yes it will get easier in time. Enough exercise, and all that fat you carry around will either turn to muscle or disappear. Now, keep quiet. Save your breath for running.”
         Karmen nodded tiredly. His side was killing him, he didn't really feel like talking anyways.
         The two reached the Core room without further incident. Inside was like a beehive, crewmen bustling about everywhere, orders being yelled and panels beeping. Much of the activity was located around the core. Like a giant worm sliced in two down the middle, the half-cylinder was missing many panels and had tangles of wires hanging out everywhere. Blasterfire could be heard in the distance, echoing in the large room. Amund pushed his way through the throng, Karmen following in his wake. “Captain Nathanael!” He yelled, trying to be heard over the din. It didn't seem to work, no answering call was heard. Seeing Jaren by a control panel, Amund hurried over.
         “Jaren, have you seen the captain?”
         The engineer faced Amund. “The captain, wasn't he with you?”
         “We parted at the bridge. I went to get Karmen, and he went to section 1B. Some Imperials were just boarding. I'm pretty sure he was heading here next.
         Jaren looked worried. “When did you leave the bridge?”
         “About ten, maybe twelve minutes ago.”
         “He should have been here by now... We've got to find him. But I can't leave the core right now. With the captain and bridge crew missing, I'm the highest ranking officer. Amund, I need you to find him. Its vital we have our captain. It won't be easy. Right after you and Karmen arrived, the Imperials moved in. They've  got us pretty much pinned, but if we're lucky, they haven't found the maintenance hall. If you take that route, the Imperials shouldn't see you. You can't do this alone though.” Jaren waved over four humans and a wookiee. He pointed to each one as he spoke their name. “Philip, Trean, Mitch, Rever, and finally this big fellow, Roworpurump.” The massive wookiee roared a greeting. Giving him a slap on the back, Jaren continued. “They're all good fighters, and Mitch has engineering skills, just in case. Good luck Amund, may the Force be with you.
         Amund smiled. “Piece of cake, he'll be back before you know it.” Nodding to the others, he turned to the exit, only to find Karmen blocking his path. “Stay here Karmen, you'll be a lot safer than out there.”
         “No” Karmen said defiantly. “Nathanael is a friend. I'm going with you to find him.”
         Recognizing the look on Karmen's face, Amund knew he would have more luck teaching a bantha to dance, then talk Karmen out of not coming. He sighed. “Fine, you can come. You will stay behind me at all times, and will do nothing unless I say it is safe. Is that clear?”
         “Perfectly.” Suiting action to words, he fell in behind Amund.
         Amund and his squad passed through the Imperial lines without difficulty, bypassing the troops using the hall Jaren suggested.
         The group failed to encounter any Imperials on their way to the bridge, though they passed several bodies fallen in the corridors. Some Imperial, and several crewmen. Upon reaching the bridge doors, Amund found they couldn't be opened.
         “Mitch.” Amund motioned towards a control panel beside the door. “See if you can get them opened.”
         “Yes sir.” There was silence for several moments while Mitch tapped in commands, then the engineer's face went white. “S, sir, I think you'd better have a look at this.”
         Amund's heart sank as he read the screen. He slowly straightened, and turned back to the others. “Mitch, tell them what's there.”
         Mitch put it bluntly. “The bridge is gone.”
         “What! What do you mean gone?!” Philip exclaimed.
         “I mean what I said, the bridge is gone, destroyed. And before you ask, the time index is only a few minutes after Amund and Karmen left There's little chance the others are still alive.”
         Roworpurump roared something. Trean translated.
         “He says that as long as there's even a small chance the others are still alive we should look for them. And personally, I agree. We shouldn't give up!”
         Amund held up a hand to forestall the storm of similar protests from the others. “I agree as well. I didn't say we were giving up. You all just needed to know our chances of finding them have diminished. Now, Mitch has pulled up an alternate route to the hallway. Follow him.”
         The hallway was filled with debris, and scorch marks covered the walls. Amund examined some of the burns. “This one's from an E11 Imperial carbine.” He said pointing to one. “But this one,” Amund touched a slightly larger one. “this one is from a Golan Arms rifle, the type I carry. There was obviously a fight here. This shows that at least some of the bridge crew is alive.” Looking at the damage all around him, he slowly shook his head. “With this much damage, it'd be a miracle if they all made it out unscathed. We gotta hurry, they'll probably have wounded!” He took off running down the corridor, following the trail of scorch marks with the others hard on his heels.
         It was only a few moments before they began to hear blasterfire. Rounding one corner Amund ran smack into a stormtrooper. The Imperial stumbled backwards, bringing his rifle to bear. Amund reached for his own only to find it thrown loose and lying on the floor.
         “Say goodbye.” The stormtrooper said, his finger tightening on the trigger. There was a flash, and the trooper keeled over, a black hole in his chest plate. Amund turned and found Karmen holding a steaming pistol.
         “Glad to have brought me along now, are you not my friend?” Said Karmen giving him a grin. “And Amund, you really must find a better strap for your rifle. Your current one seems to have snapped.”
         Amund grabbed his rifle off the floor and inspected it for damage as he answered Karmen. “Yes Karmen, I will need a new strap. And yes, I'm glad you came along. Now, shut up and move!”
         It was but a few more moments before they found the source of the blasterfire. A mangled door was found at the entrance to Escape Pod Room B. Amund sent Philip in to reconnoiter. He returned with good and bad news.
         “Ok, here's the deal. The Captain is alive,” A muffled cheer went up. “but the bad thing is he's pinned down with the bridge crew inside one of the escape pods. The hatch is opened, but they've got a barricade put up. There's all kinds of stormies in there firing at 'em. You know why? One of the Imps' shuttles boarded the ship here. The boarding tube they used is still attached. I saw a couple troopers off-loading some parts. It was an E-web, and it was almost assembled.”
         “Then we're going in now.” Amund said decisively. If the E-web is assembled, the captain will have no chance.”
         “Why don't we toss in a grenade first to soften them up? Mitch suggested.
         “A grenade would blow a hole in the ship and suck us all into space. That's why the Imps haven't used one on the Captain, and vice-versa. No, we'll have to go in guns blazing. Roworpurump, you enter right behind me. Then Philip, Mitch, Trean. Karmen, you're going in last, unless you want to wait  out here?”
         “You must be kidding. I am going to help.”
         “Ah well, I hoped. Alright then, on 3. 1... 2... 3!”

Chapter 5: A Captain in Distress

         Amund crashed through the doorway. The Imperials assembling the E-web were just a little to slow going for their blasters. A hail of red darts sent them tumbling across the room. The Stormtrooper standing guard at the shuttle's boarding tube was his next victim.
         The others had now made it into the room.  Roworpurump was a fierce-some sight. Forgoing his bowcaster, he barreled into a group of stormtroopers knocking them flying. Philip and Trean blasted them before they could get up. The wookiee turned his attention next to the stormtroopers who were moments before firing on the Captain. He grabbed the nearest one and threw him into his fellows. At this moment Captain Nathanael and his crew came charging out of their refuge blasting Stormtroopers left and right. The Imperials, caught on both sides, were slaughtered. Seemingly seconds later it was all over. Bodies lay scattered across the floor, but Stormtroopers weren't the only ones. Rever was dead, Philip had a bad chest wound, and the others had various minor injuries. Captain Nathanael himself was limping, an ugly gash on his right leg. Amund grabbed one arm and helped into a sitting position, leaning against a bulkhead. “Here, let me take a look at that wound.” Amund said, beginning to unwrap the rough bandage around Nathanael's leg. The captain pushed him away.
         “There's no time, we've got to get aboard that shuttle.” He tried to rise, but fell back with a moan. “Ugh, dag, that hurts. Have a pain-killer Amund? We've got to get moving. Elara”
         “Here sir.”
         Nathanael pointed to their refuge inside the pod. “Get Camtry's gear.”
         “Yes sir.” She moved off.
         “Camtry?” Amund asked.
         “A female twilek. She was with us when we attacked this scum. When the Imps corned us in that pod, she took a bolt in the head. At least she died instantly...”
         “Amund!” Trean yelled anxiously. “Come quick, Philip, he's...” He didn't need to finish. Amund was at his side in a moment. “I can't stabilize him. Can't you do something for him?” Amund took one look at Philip's wound and knew it was hopeless. It was a ragged hole, barely below the heart. Despite Trean's best attempts, blood was squirting out around the edges of the bandage he had pressed against it.
         “Is he conscious?”
         “Yes, but just barely.”
         Amund leaned close. “Philip, can you hear me?” He managed a weak nod. “We were successful, the Captain is safe.” Philip smiled, and grasped Amund's hand. It was slick with blood.
         “I knew he was still alive.” He said faintly. “Tell him,” Philip stopped to cough, an agonizing cough that shook his entire body. “Tell him, he was the best captain a man could want...” his voice trailed off, and his head lolled to one side.
         “Is he...” Trean asked fearfully. Amund only nodded. Trean could only gazed down at Philip, stunned. Then the tears finally came. Amund left him, letting him weep over his fallen friend in solitude. Nathanael looked up, a question in his eyes. Amund slid down beside him and shook his head.  Nathanael looked sorrowfully over at Philip's body. “He was a good man. We'll all miss him...”
         “If it helps any, he said to tell you that you were the best captain a man could want. He was glad to have died saving you.”
         Captain Nathanael just sat in silence for a few moments. Everyone in the room was quiet, the only sound heard was Trean's quiet weeping. “Philip and Trean were good friends.” Nathanael said.  “This will be especially hard on him. But,” He grunted as he gingerly got to his feet with Amund's support, “we can mourn later. Right now, my ship is still locked in a tractor beam. With more stormtroopers on the way, we need that tractor disabled.”
         “But it wouldn't do much good even if it was. The sublights are still off-line.” Reminded Amund.
         “Ah, but they won't be for long. By the time its off-line, Jaren should have the sublights back up.” Alright, lets say he will have them up soon. Just how do you propose to disable the tractor? In case you didn't remember, all the turbolasers are non-functional. All thats working still is a couple of quads, but they couldn't come close to piercing the shields on that destroyer.”
         “We're not going to use those Amund, we're going to use that.” Nathanael nodded towards the Imperial shuttle.
         Amund just started for a moment. “You're kidding.”
         “Not at all. The Imperials are expecting the shuttles to return for additional troops. And once we land, we'll come off dressed as stormtroopers bringing out a wounded comrade, who'll be me.”
         “Its just crazy enough to get us killed, but considering I don't have any better ideas...”
         “Glad you agree then. Help me into the shuttle. Elara, you wanted something to fly, well guess what. I got you something. I hope you can fly Imperial Lambda class shuttles.”
         Despite their dire situation Elara almost whooped for joy, but managed to contain herself. “You bet your bottom credit I can sir! A little sluggish, but it'll do just fine.” Elara ran on-board.
         Nathanael stopped beside Trean, who was still kneeling by his fallen friend. He put his hand on his shoulder. “He was a good man Trean. He died fighting for what he believed in...” His hand tighened on Trean's shoulder. “And we will make the Imperials pay ten-fold for him, and everyone else that has died this day. Come Trean, help me make the Imperials pay!”
         Trean jumped to his feet. “Gladly sir, I'll make the Sithspawn regret ever attacking us!”
© Copyright 2007 Jaren (jldagh at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1367747-Star-Wars-Musical-Rebel-Part-2