*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1371252-New-Crystals-Old-Dreams--Chapter-10
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: GC · Fiction · Fanfiction · #1371252
Jareth and Sarah start learning to get along with each other.
Disclaimer: I don’t own the rights to anything you recognize from the movie and/or the book. The characters and places that you recognize from the movie and/or the book belong to their respective owners. Though, I DO own the rights to all my personal locations and personal OC’s. I make no monetary profit from this story.


Sarah awoke the next morning…warm?  She shot up in…a bed and with a chemise on none the less!?  What the hell was going on!?  Hadn’t she fallen asleep, naked, on the bed?  She got up out of the bed, which seemed to be almost a miniature version of Jareth’s.  It even had the same velvet and silk bedding, but it was the chemise that claimed her attention.

The white silk caressed her skin in a way she had only read about before.  The top was actually more supporting than a normal chemise, she figured it was a pettibone design.  There was even delicate stitching all along it that looked like the twisting vines of the Labyrinth. 

Exhaling thankfully that it wasn’t transparent and actually came down to her mid thigh, she ran appreciative fingers over the material.  It was only then that she remembered that she was at the foot of Jareths’ bed and he might be watching her.  She spun around on her heel, ready to accost him, but was met with the view of a very empty, very made bed. 

“Well where the hell is he?” she muttered to herself, flinging her arms in the air.  She heard a gentle splashing from an adjoining room followed by mirthful laughter…Jareth.

"Finally, I was wondering when you were planning on waking up."  Her temper flared, she was tired of taking his flack and stormed towards the sound of his voice.

“It’s a wonder I woke up at all since you made me sleep on the floor!”  She heard his tsk’ing as she got closer.

“Sarah love…did you not wake up in a comfortable, warm bed?  With new pajama’s no less.”  She bit her tongue as she remembered that she did indeed wake up warm and very much alive.

“Why did you give me this?  Aren’t I supposed to be naked?”  She almost slapped herself.  She should be thankful that she WASN’T naked not reminding him that she SHOULD!

“It pleases me to see you in fineries.  Why, do you not like it?”

“Yes I do, but it doesn’t make up for…” she dropped off as she entered the room he was in, realizing too late that it was the bathroom and he was in the tub.  Averting her eyes quickly, she tried desperately to pick up her train of thought to keep herself of thinking what he might look like naked.  “For…making me sleep on the floor.”  She completed without the conviction with which she had started.  “Geez Jareth, you could have WARNED me!”  His laughter filled the room and tugged a relenting smile to her lips.

“But then I would have missed the delectable shade of your skin when you blushed, love.”  She cringed.

“Don’t call me that Jareth.” 

“Why not?  You know it to be true now…or didn’t I make myself clear last night?”  A burst of laughter escaped her throat.

“You call that showing me you love me?”  Hearing his sigh was a small victory that she didn’t have time to celebrate.

“No, I handled that poorly, I will admit…”  Her knees about buckled under her, she was so surprised by his confession.  She felt his hand on her ankle and stepped back, again, to the sound of his laughter.  “So jumpy this morning darling?”  Snorting derisively, Sarah decided she wouldn’t give him the pleasure of her being uncomfortable and turned around to face him. 

“Can you blame me after the way I was treated yesterday?”  Damn…it!  Why did he have to look so carelessly sexy wet?  No Sarah…you are irritated at this man, don’t fall for his charms, but GOD what charms they were.  She forced her eyes to stop roaming his chest and back up to capture his eyes.  He looked upset, even sorry, but it was replaced by a mask of indifference as quickly as she had seen it.

“Let’s put that behind us love and…” he laughed at her grimace.  “I am going to call you that a lot, so I suggest that you get used to it Sarah.”  She sighed in defeat.

“Fine.  So we’re to put that behind us?”  He nodded in agreement.

“I did, after all, try to make up for it by giving you the bed.”  Sarah pursed her lips and thought about it.  Did she want to forgive him?  She sighed again as her heart screamed yes.  He must have seen it in her eyes because he smiled.  “Good…now you can join me.”  Her eyes went wide and she looked at him as if he had just spoken a foreign language.

“In there?  No, I don’t think so.”  Sarah watched, surprised as she could SEE the internal battle he was having.  His face was harsh as she finished talking.

“Sarah, I am your master now and…”  His face calmed as she watched him purse his lips, trying to gather himself.  Good god, was he actually trying to contain his temper?  She watched his shoulders slump and he looked up at her, exasperated.  “Oh Gods, Sarah…just get in please?”  Her jaw dropped.  Had he just said please?  Amazed that it seemed he was turning over a new leaf, she decided not to fight him this morning and stripped off the chemise.  He gaze glossed as she stepped out of the material.

“Don’t look at me like that….”  She watched the Cheshire cat smile spread over his face that was quickly replaced with a look of innocent surprise.

“Like what love?”  She couldn’t help the grin that captured her mouth, but she tried her best to fight it.

“Like I am going to be your next meal.”  She stepped down into the jacuzzi sized tub that was cut down into the very ground and sunk as far down into the water as she could.  Using her hands to cover her breasts, she settled back against the wall and closed her eyes, sufficiently mortified at being naked in a tub with an equally naked Goblin King.

“There now, that wasn’t too difficult was it?”  His mocking tone only made her wish all the harder that she had bubbles to hide her nudity under.  Her eyes were still closed, but that didn’t stop her nose from the sudden pleasant assault of the scent of vanilla and lavender.  It was the scent that Erina and Jeaule had used.  When she opened her eyes, she saw that the tub was indeed full of concealing bubbles.

“Jareth!”  She turned to him, about to scold him for reading her mind, when she saw that he was just as surprised about these bubbles as she was.  Her mind reeled as she turned again to Jareth.  "You didn’t do this did you Jareth?" She asked, motioning to the bubbles.  His eyes caught hers, one brow lifted as he shook his head.  "Then...?"  He nodded.
"You did."  Her brow creased as she ran her hands through the bubbles.  They were quite real.

"But how?"  Jareth shrugged, but he looked more uneasy than his voice let on.

"I truly don’t know Sarah...you shouldn’t have magic at all.  No human, turned to Fae or not, has EVER gained magic powers."

“Then why the hell do I have it!?”  Her heart was thumping in her chest.  All her life she had wanted to be a fairy princess with powers so she could do whatever she wanted and now that she practically was…she was scared out of her wits.  Jareth started scooting towards her as he spoke.

“Again love…I don’t know.  I wish I did.  Maybe we can figure it out though.”  He shifted closer to her still, sending shivers through her body that she didn’t want to feel.  Desperately, she tried to scoot away, but he always closed the distance.  After going a full lap around the tub, he sighed and stopped moving. "Sarah, I could chase you around this tub all day, but as delightful as that sounds we have other things we could be doing."  Her cheeks turn to fire as do her eyes.

"I don't want...this..." she gestured wildly between them. "...to take place in a bathtub."  He laughed, his head tilting back with delight.

"Oh Sarah, love...do you really think that I would let our first time be that prosaic?"  He finally moved close to her and pulled her to him.  "Oh no love, when it happens, as it so pleases me that you admit it will…it will be much more memorable."  He leaned in to kiss her neck, his lips grazing over the tender flesh as his arm snaked its way around her waist.

"Jareth..."  It wasn’t an invitation, it was a plea for him to stop and she was completely shocked when he did just that.  Her eyes followed him, incredulously, as he moved to lean back against the tub.  After a moment, he started up conversation again as if he had never kissed her.

"Very well love, what do you say to me teaching you a bit of how to use your powers?”  Her mind was still so completely dumbfounded that he was being so kind to her that all she could do was nod.  "I have to warn you though...I am a most impatient teacher.  Displease me and I might have to..." he paused to run a finger across her jawline.  "...punish you."  Her body jerked back as she thought of what he might do to her.  Apparently, that was rather amusing because he started laughing quietly.  "Oh Gods Sarah, calm down.”

“Easy for you to say.”  She muttered.  Jareth smirked once more, a wicked gleam in his eyes that, to her horror, aroused her more than frightened.

“Touché.  Well!” he said, slapping his hands down on the side of the tub for leverage.  “Let’s get to business then!”  He pushed himself up and out of the tub, without thought to warn her.  Chuckling merrily as she rushed to avert her eyes, he grabbed a towel and threw it about his waist.  “Really love,” he said, leaning over to run fingers through her hair.  “I really am a sight you will have to get used to.”  He walked out of the bathroom as she got out and grabbed a towel of her own.  “I have you back darling, I don’t plan on losing you again.”  His words sent a secret shiver of delight through her body.

“Well, we’ll see about that,” she teased as he smiled back at her.  With a wave of his hand, he was dressed in a white poet shirt and tight black pants, his knee high boots hugging the curve of his leg.

“Yes we shall.”  His smile held a promise that made her legs feel weak beneath her.  Looking him over and then looking down at her towel attire, she turned a pleading eye to him.

"What shall I wear...?  I can't very well go walking around the castle in THIS!"  She waved a hand over the towel.  Jareth looked confused and raised an elegant brow.

"Why not?"  She couldn’t even formulate a thought, her mouth simply hung open until she saw his lip twitch.  Grabbing a pillow, she tossed it at him.

“You’re an ass….”  His laughter rang delightfully through the air and made her insides weak.  It really was a lovely reprieve from his anger.  His eyes finally trained on her and he culled his laughter.

"Oh love, you do delight me."  She bowed with a derisive smirk on her face.

“Glad to be of service.”  With a smirk, Jareth produced a crystal and tossed it at her.  It materialized into a simple white peasant top, a black waist cincher that, from previous use in plays, she knew accentuated her figure nicely, and a sage green skirt that flowed almost to the ground.  Lifting the skirt slightly, she saw that he had topped it off with black, high heeled boots that nicely matched his boots.  Even her hair was dried and done up with a simple clip.

“God I can’t wait till I can do that!”  He smiled at her again and offered his arm.

“Well now my ambitious little Sarah.  Let’s find out just how powerful you are first, shall we?”  She bit her lip as she blushed, laughing nervously.  “Don’t worry though, if what I felt last night was any indication…” he knew her eyes were trained, accusingly, on him for not telling her then, but he ignored it.  “Then you are probably almost, if not AS, powerful as me.”  Her mouth hung open slightly in amazement.

“As powerful as you…?”  She felt him stiffen next to her and her heart started speeding out of control.  Was he mad again?

“Yes, well that would seem fitting since I claimed you and we do so seem to be fated for each other.”  Her heart calmed as she felt his body relax.  “It wouldn’t do for the kingdom to have a weak Queen.”  This time her knees did betray her and Jareth’s grip tightened around her as she slumped next to him.

“What the hell are you talking about!?  Queen!?”  She stared up into his mismatched eyes.  “I thought I was your slave?”  Sarah watched his blue/green gaze dance.

“As you said…this punishment can only last so long.”  Her mind hurt it was thinking so fast. 

“But…I thought you hated me?”  She felt his hand grip hers as he grazed gentle kisses over the back of her hand.

“And I thought we said we were going to put all of that behind us?”  Her stomach flipped…she knew this was what her heart ultimately wanted, but she hadn’t expected him to speak of it so soon.  “I told you that I had you back and didn’t plan to let you go.  I won’t lose again.”  Something within her flared.

“Is that all marriage to me would be?  Proving something?”

“Yes…” he answered quickly.  She raised her hand to slap him, but he caught it.  “But,” he continued, kissing her lightly on the lips for the first time.  “Only part of it.”  Her eyes still drilled into his.  “Sarah, I can’t tell you that being with me will be easy, but can’t you see?  That’s why is HAS to be you!”  Sarah narrowed her eyes at him.

“Why so I can be your whipping post?  No thanks!”  His laughter didn’t help her mood.

“No, my stubborn, stubborn Sarah.”  He chided.  “Because you are the only one who would ever fight back and shut me up.”  Without warning to even herself, she burst out laughing.

“Well, hell…I don’t seem to be doing a very good job of that yet.”  He helped her back to her feet with a gentle laughter of his own.

“I’m sure you will get the hang of it.  Now, no more talk of this.  Let’s go study and TRY to have a nice day in each other’s company.”  She rolled her eyes and smiled as she accepted his arm.

“We can TRY.”



Cyric was lounging in a bay window seat reading a book when Medb came back from her meeting.  As he turned his face to greet hers, the afternoon sunlight streamed through his long hair.  Any other woman would have melted at the sight of him, no matter how much he despised it.  Perhaps that was what he found most intriguing about his precarious relationship with Medb.

She cared about no one but herself, never had, never would.  That suited him just fine, but…but.  And that was what bothered him…that little word, but.  While he was content with the fact that she didn’t fawn over him, he didn’t want her to trade him in like every other lover she had tossed out over the centuries.  He wanted to keep this volatile woman for himself. 

Cyric was about to greet his tempestuous lover, that was, before he saw the look on her face.  It was the look that said, I’m thinking, leave me be.  Who else could know her like he did?  Better question yet…who would want to?  Even better question, he thought hazily…why do I?  His fuzzy thoughts cleared as he watched her cross the room in her sullen quietness and knew that the meeting must have gone badly. 

Perhaps supporters were drawing back, worrying that the gods would discover her plans?  No, he thought suddenly, she was mad because, while people were withdrawing support…it was because of a different reason.  They didn’t have faith in her.  They thought she was going to lose her bet.  Oh yes, that had to be it.  While any other sane Fae in the Underground would have left her temper alone to simmer, he stood, marked his spot in his book and crossed to her.

Medb was standing at her bedroom window, the windows thrown open to the gusty afternoon breeze.  He loved watching her at times like this, when the breeze caught her hair and the sunlight danced over her face.  Coming up behind her, Cyric wrapped his arms around her waist and planted his lips to her neck, exposed to him thanks to the breeze.  He knew that she was gazing in the direction of the Goblin City and it made the blood boil in his veins.

The woman in his arms made no attempt to return his ardor.  He was not going to be tossed out.  He was better than that…he wouldn’t be amounted to the Queen’s scorned whore.  For the love of the Gods, he was nobility in his own right!  Taking a chance, he let his fingers stray over her furrowed brow; at least it got her attention.

“What is it Cyric?”  Her voice was sharp and too the point, like she didn’t want to waste the time on him.

"Do you want Jareth so badly milady?"  Her eyes narrowed, seldom seen confusion twisting her porcelain features.

"Of course I want him Cyric, without him, my plans all fail."  His mind raged at the idea of it.  Never before had she wanted a husband and now she wanted Jareth.  She, who would pit men against each other in a battle to the death for her hand, only to kill the victor, wanted one now.  Medb wanted Jareth to be a part of this battle, for he was sure to win, but this time…this time she would keep the winner.  Cyric decided to try his chances and pushed further.

"Why do you need him milady, you never needed a man in your life before."  She huffed at his comment and turned her body towards him and out of his grasp, irritation starting to brighten her eyes.

"Cyric I have never WANTED a husband and never will.  I don’t want to share my power..." she caught his eye and looked at him pointedly.  "...and I never will."  She walked away from the window and he sneered, at least he accomplished that much.  Cyric followed her as she paced the floor before him. "I don’t WANT Jareth as a husband; I don’t even WANT him to care for me."  His pulse quickened when she turned to him, desire…if not truly for him…in her eyes as she stalked up to him.  Her fingers splayed out over his tanned chest, exploring taut muscles that she knew well.  "I just NEED his powers."  A sly smile spread over his face as he allowed her to continue her ministrations.

"But you were so upset when he slighted you for his little human convert."  Her eyes flared at the memory as she waved a hand to rid him of the rest of his clothing and hers.  Had he not been used to her sudden flares of emotions, he might have gasped her sudden, almost palpable, craving.  But since he was, he simply stood there, knowing that his hesitation would only heighten her yearning.

"You know I don’t like to be slighted...and especially by one of lower rank than myself.  It was his attitude towards me that angered, not him, dear Cyric."  She captured his lips with hers biting at his lower lip and smirking.  "Why do you ask by the way?  Worried I am getting tired of my dark lover?"  His mind raged yes, but he merely brought a devious sneer to his face as he gathered her up into his arms.

"How could you tire of me, milady?"  She laughed mockingly at him as he laid her back on the bed. 

"I always grow tired Cyric...always."  He hovered over her, drinking in the scent of her before lowering himself to her, his hands roaming her body.

"Then I will make you forget your always..." he purred as he delved into her, knowing that as soon as she was occupied with another meeting, he would be making a trip to the Goblin Kingdom.



After Jareth freed her from his torturous training, she bartered with him for a private bath.  She figured that dinner with him was worth an hour alone in the bathtub.  She laid her head back on the rim of the bathtub, letting the warm waters soak the tension from her body. 

Learning magic had turned out to be a lot tougher on the body than she had thought it would be.  She figured that it was all, wave your hand and everything you want appears.  Oh how wrong she had been.  There was so much more too it.  It was mentally and physically exhausting and on more than one occasion she had gotten the brunt of Jareth’s irritation. 

He hadn’t lied when he had told her that he was a short tempered teacher.  He had gone off on her many times for not paying attention to what the hell he was saying.  It was so hard sometimes for her not to laugh, it wasn’t her fault that his accent made it cute sometimes. 

Oh Gods, she thought, slapping a hand to her forehead.  Had she actually just said Jareth and cute in the same sentence?  Man, she must be falling hard for him to think that temper cute.  At least, after her twentieth mistake…he seemed to be getting used to it and tried to be less like Gordon Ramsey and more like, well still like Ramsey, but more…Ramsey with a crush on the annoying new cook.

Her lips twitched to think of how exasperated he had looked when she had once again conjured a cup of coffee when he ‘specifically asked for tea.’  She grimaced.  Could she help it if she preferred coffee?

When the bubbles were starting to become sparse, she heard someone clear their throat behind her.  She spun around, a crystal in her hand that she couldn’t remember conjuring.

“Whoa there, love…what’s even in that crystal?”  It was only Jareth, she turned her attention to the rogue crystal in her hand and shrugged. 

“I don’t know.  It just kind of happened when you scared me.”  He knelt down beside the tub and held his hand out.

“May I?”  She held the crystal out to him and gingerly took it from her fingertips.  “My, my, my how inventive darling.”  He seemed impressed, but she was still in the dark.
“I guess I’m just that good.  Now would you mind telling me what the hell I just did…?”  He turned the fragile crystal around in his hand, smirking down at her.

“Would you like to see what you did my devilish love?”  She pursed her lips.

“I didn’t do it on purpose.”  He didn’t seem put off as he continued twirling the mystery crystal in his hand.  “And compared to you…you can hardly call ME devilish.”  She smirked up at him, pleased with herself.  His hand reached down and pulled her out of the tub so fast that a gasp of fright escaped her lungs.  Now that she was naked and sopping wet against his chest, she could tell that he wasn’t angry at her, just keeping her on her toes as always.

“I will show you what you did.”  His voice caressed her ear before he placed a light kiss there.  The crystal in his hand tip out and into the water, which froze the instant it touched the surface.  For a moment, her brain couldn’t register what had happened.

“So it would have frozen you?”  She was so taken aback by the water, that she had forgotten that she was naked, but Jareth remedied that with a wave of his hand.

“Far worse, I fear.”  Sarah turned to him, a question on the tip of her tongue, but he seemed to know what she was going to ask.  “It turns whatever it touches into a living statue.”  Her hand flew to her mouth, muffling her gasp of amazement.  “I don’t know how you did it love, but it’s very advanced magic.”  Her hands were shaking as she thought of what could have happened.

“Oh Jareth…if I had thrown it….”  He pulled her to him, resting his chin on the top of her head.

“You didn’t throw it.  No need to worry about it now, love.”  He pulled her back, a teasing smirk on his face.  “But I will be changing your studies now.  You will have to learn how to control this much faster than normal.”  A groan ripped from the very bottom of her soul.

“That means more work.”  That stupid smirk was still on his face as he nodded.  “And more soreness.”  Sarah watched as he threw a crystal of his own into the tub, returning it to normal.

“Yes, but that just means that after a day of yelling at you…I get to be charming and make it up to you.”  She sighed and shook her head.

“What am I going to do with you?” 

“Dress me.”  Her face twisted.

“You usually want me to do the opposite, why the change in attitude?”  His finger was running along the top of her chemise and was more than a little distracting.  Dangerously warm lips lowered to her shoulder and his voice drifted, like a heady scent, to her ears.

“As much fun as that would be right now, our dinner awaits us.”  Her mouth formed a silent ‘o’ as he backed away, leaving her insides in pleasing knots.  “And you are going to dress us.  Use the magic I taught you today to conjure our outfits.”  She groaned.  The spell was easy enough, but she was already so tired.

“Can’t you just…”

“No.”  A short stream of imaginative cursing had him smiling, but not relenting so she huffed.

“Fine.  Where are we having dinner?” 

“Does that matter?”  So he didn’t want to give away his secrets?  That was sweet, but she smiled as her brows rose.

“It matters a lot.  I need to know how to dress us.”  She watched with ill repressed glee as he huffed and leaned, angrily, back against the wall, folding his arms over his chest.

“Very well.  We are dining on the grand balcony.”  Her eyes widened at the seemingly romantic gesture.  “No that you have ruined my surprise…can you dress us?”  Suddenly a thought came to her mind, the laughter was irrepressible as she formed the thought of Jareth’s attire in her mind and conjured the crystal.

“Here goes nothing…” she grimaced in apprehension as she tossed the crystal at him.  “Ooooo.”  It was exactly as she had pictured.  The white under shirt, dark golden vest, blue jacket, with the golden trim…even the tight black pants were perfect.  She chuckled to herself as she conjured up her golden dress, the sleeves hanging from her shoulders.  They were Beauty and the Beast brought to life and her cheeks were starting to hurt from the laughter.

“Whatever is wrong with you?”  He shrugged into his new garments, getting a feel for them.  She placed a hand to her chest, forcing the laughter to calm.

“Nothing, just a little joke.  You wouldn’t get it…it’s a human thing.”  He cast a derisive glance over at her as he brushed his hands down the blue fabric of the jacket.

“You aren’t a human any longer.”  She didn’t even comment, knowing he was right, but not wanting to tell him that…yeah well she used to be.  “Joke or not Sarah, I think this is rather dashing.” 

“It is, I couldn’t have put anything less on you.”  Her hands straightened his lapels as she realized what she had missed.  “OH!  Our hair.  One second.”  After two quick conjuring spells, Jareth’s hair was pulled back with a blue ribbon the color of his jacket and hers was done up as closely as she could remember.

He held out his arm to her and led her up to the grand balcony, which was just that…grand.  It was bigger than the balcony in the Disney movie, but this one had a breathtaking view of the Labyrinth.  Breath caught in her throat as she looked out at the expanse of it. 

“It looks so much more beautiful when you see it from here.”  Her voice was enraptured as Jareth came up beside her, his hand resting on hers on the railing.

“The Labyrinth is so much more than it appears.”  She could tell just what he meant, even from here, she could see it continually shifting and changing…almost like it was breathing.

“It’s alive,” she gasped, her eyes alight with the revelation.  She didn’t have to see Jareth to know that he had a look of almost parental satisfaction.  “I had thought…back then…that it was YOU changing the Labyrinth all the time to mess me up.”  His laughter flowed over the breeze as he wrapped an arm around her waist.

“Well…some of that WAS me, but most of it…that was the Labyrinth.  It is an entity all its own and it pleases me that you see its beauty.”  She caught his eyes, completely stupefied. 

“Who couldn’t see the beauty in this?” she asked as she watched a tree appear where none had been, a wall shift ninety degrees, probably trapping something.  The Goblin City at the base of the castle had a rustic beauty all its own, in all its ramshackle angles and disorder, it was loved.  Realizing that she had lost herself in her visual exploration of her new home, she reeled herself in, surprised to find herself clinging to Jareth’s hand.

“Let’s eat, love.”  His smile said all that she knew he wouldn’t as he led her to the middle of the balcony.  Her brow creased as she noticed there was no table.

“Um Jareth, where are we going to eat?”  As he produced a crystal, she snickered.  “Oh of course.”  When he dropped the orb, in its place was a gorgeous little dinner for two set up, complete with the candle in the middle of table.

“Milady…” he cooed, pulling a chair out for her.  His attitude was almost too weird for words, but she chuckled and sat.  Dinner passed by amicably, the food appearing before them as they were ready for the next course.  It was much better than having to deal with snooty waiters.  It was when dessert came around that their thoroughly pleasant day started to shift.

Jareth lifted the lid from the last tray to appear that night.  In all honesty, Sarah didn’t know if she would be able to eat any of it, but he had gone all out that night.  She was completely dazzled by this change in him and was delighted with his company…until she looked down.  The color drained from her face as she saw what was prepared.

“Peaches…”  The look on his face clearly said that he had expected this reaction out of her, but, “Why Jareth…?”  He picked one up and held it out to her, hope in his eyes.  It was enough to have her brow smoothing, maybe he wasn’t up to his old tricks, but she would still be cautious.

“Because…we need to have everything behind us.  In your mind, this was my biggest deception wasn’t it?”  She nodded her head as the tears threatened in her eyes.  Suddenly, the reason she was sent to the mental ward came rushing back to her and the tears broke loose.

“Jareth…it’s so much more than that.”  He placed the peach back in the bowl, crossing over to take her up in his arms.  As he started dancing them to unheard music, he coaxed her.

“Tell me Sarah, tell me…you can trust me now.”  She beat her forehead lightly on his chest a couple times before sighing.  If she couldn’t trust him, then she couldn’t love him and since she did…she had to find that trust.

“You know that I was forced to forget everything and everyone down here.”  He didn’t speak, only nodded.  “What you don’t know…and what I didn’t remember till just now, was WHY…why they sent me to the psychiatric ward.”  She felt his arm pull her closer in their silent dance and she rested her head on his shoulder.  “It was my stepmothers’ birthday.  She had a big gala affair in our back yard, all her friends were there.”  Sarah felt the tears slip over her cheeks to wet the wonderful jacket she had made for him, but couldn’t bring herself to lift her head from his chest.

“It was all going so well, I was behaving and she was pleased,” the words seethed from her soul as Jareth led her around the balcony in time to music only he could apparently hear.  “Finally it came time for Patricia’s present.  Patricia is one of those people that are only invited out of niceties and she got back at my step mother with what she had hoped to be a cheap present, if not insulting.  It was a basket of peaches, my step mother’s favorite.”

Jareth’s hand tightened on hers as the other tried to soothe by rubbing her back.  She was grateful that he didn’t speak, but knew that even if he wanted to, he wouldn’t.  At this point she wouldn’t blame him for thinking her a spoiled brat.  She might have been placed in an institution, but the fate she had dealt him had been far worse.  Those thoughts only brought more blurring tears to her eyes so she went back to her story.

“I don’t know what happened.  I guess I just freaked out.  I threw the basket of peaches across the yard, screaming that they were poisoned and the Goblin King would soon be here. He’s coming back!!  It frightened her guests.  The next morning they drove me out to that place and put me in that room.  The white room.”  She nuzzled her face closer to Jareth’s chest, convinced that she would never be able to get close enough.  “I hate that color now.  I always told them that if I stared at the walls close enough…I could see you the way you were the last time I saw you.”  Sarah jolted as he suddenly stopped their movement, placing his fingers under her chin and forcing her to look at him.

“You spoke of me often then?”  Confusion…then gut-wrenching laughter stole through her. 

“You stay quiet the whole time and the first thing you say is that!?  Oh you are an arrogant bastard.”  His satisfied smirk spoke volumes as he nodded to her.

“Yes, well…it got you to smile.”  Her laughter halted at his words and she looked up at him thoughtfully. 

“Why would you want to make me laugh after that story Jareth?  After what I put you through…” Tears choked at the back of her throat.  “…after what I did to you.  What happened to me seems trivial.”  Her heart felt like it was being squeezed mercilessly.  “You shouldn’t give a damn about me.”  She pulled away from him and went to sit on the balcony.  When she looked back at him, he seemed tortuously torn.  Yes, he looked angry…as he should, but it was the concern that shone in his eyes that pulled at her heart.

“Just answer me one question.”  His voice was flat, emotionless in the cooling night air.  She lowered her head, sure that this was going to be the end of whatever had blossomed between them that day.

“Why not…?”  He remained where he was, his expression never changing.

“I know that you didn’t know what you were doing when you sent me away the first time.  There was no way you could have known the consequences of your actions, but tell me this…would you do it again?”  Her world suddenly brightened as she stood and crossed to him as fast as her dress would allow her.  Cold hands took hold of his tortured face as she captured his eyes and tried to pour everything that she was into her own.

“No…Jareth, on my word, if I knew then what I know now…I NEVER would have done that to you.”  She watched as something broke in his eyes, in the way he held his body, he simply slumped.  Gathering him to her, she hugged him till she was sure he would ask her to let up.  To her surprise, his own arms wrapped about her, pulling her ever closer.  When she opened her eyes, they were standing back in his bed chamber.

“Stay with me tonight.”  His whisper caught her off guard.

“Where else would I go silly?”  When he stepped back from her, their regal wear disintegrated to their night clothes.  His eyes were pleading with her…almost as they had the last moment she had seen him, though she hadn’t known it then.

“I mean with me, in my bed.”  Her body stiffened.

“I’m not ready for that Jareth.”  A wave of his hand and they were in the center of his massive bed. 

“It’s with me or on the floor again…and this time with no bed.”  Her jaw dropped.  Was he serious…?

“We just had SUCH a nice day!!!  Why are you ruining it?”  The roguish smile that slid over his face let her know that he was playing with her.  Ass….

“I don’t want to be difficult…I’m just giving you an ultimatum where I am sure that I will win.”  Reluctant laughter escaped her and she smacked his chest.

“You’re such an ass…!”  It didn’t dissuade him in the least, he actually seemed pleased with her comment.

“Yes, but you still haven’t answered my question.”  He conjured up the blanket and pillow he had given her the night before and dangled them before her questioningly.  “What will it be my love?”  She waved her hand, using her own magic to make the pillow and blanket disappear.  It only made his smile spread wider.  Again he waved his hand and to her annoyance, removed her chemise.  “We will sleep naked.”

“Oh no you don’t…” she purred, waving her hand and bringing back her chemise.  His lower lip jutted out as he pouted.

“Damn, I keep forgetting that you can do that.”  He mumbled as she crawled under the bedding.  “Perhaps I shouldn’t teach you any more magic…could be detrimental to the relationship, love.” 

“The only thing detrimental to this relationship would be you NOT teaching me…” she turned to him with a wicked smile.  “…darling.  Now, I will sleep with you, but only on the condition of clothing being involved.  On my BODY,” she added before he could say something wise.  She heard him huff and smirked into her pillow.

“Who do you think you are to be making conditions now?”  Snuggling down into the warmth of the bed, she answered him.

“The woman that you say you love…”  She heard him slap his hand down on the blanket before he shifted below the bedding behind her.  In less than a moment she felt his heat behind her and his breath on her ear.

“You had to play that card didn’t you?”  Again, she smiled into her pillow, content with the feeling of his body curved to hers.

“Mhmm…now let’s get some sleep, we are going to walk around the Labyrinth tomorrow.”  She knew that he wouldn’t agree…he would never let her think that she was in control and she smiled as she heard his answer.

“We’ll see.”

© Copyright 2008 Grace Richie (grichiewriter at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1371252-New-Crystals-Old-Dreams--Chapter-10