*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1372569-Exciting
by Cliona
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Comedy · #1372569
Story of Kate's life with sequence of unexpected twist and turns.

“So you think it’s awesome to go and live somewhere missing all your loved ones for the sake of a silly job! No way I’m not gonna agree. There are plenty of openings down here to check out, I QUIT! That’s it, no more conversation over this again!” I shouted at Cynthia and took a deep breath. I felt the pressure inside the room and it was devastating.

I gave a harsh look over Cynthia. Her face stayed still gazing at me and finally she spoke “Look Kate, this is your life you gotta decide. No one can possibly help you out to make your dreams alive. …I gotta go now, have to meet Jason today. Hope you will choose the right option” Cynthia closed the door without turning back, though she had a glimpse on my confused expression.

I expected that once again she would turn on her give-it-a-shot philosophy to trap me in, but, for my surprise she had said something new, which was somewhat brain-turning. She had been my close friend for a long time, who understood my weakness and strengths quite well. However, she had never been able to direct me properly, in fact I had plenty of hands on experience over adventures with her. I thought it wouldn’t happen again.

Cynthi cant afford to live without excitement, by the way her family roots were deeply connected to this tradition of escapade, her father who was a reputed archaeologist and her mother was a journalist, well, what more can possibly mold her into such an adventure creature. I saw the Grey file on my desk with the letter for migration; apparently they don’t need my consent to switch me on assignments to work in foreign countries. Sometimes its strange to imagine how we are controlled by circumstances to make a decision, like playing a chess game, you cant make a wrong move and survive till the end before the game is over.

I had nothing but two options: accepting the assignment and migrating; or quiting. Obviously, I was in a state to choose the second one though, I remembered how long I had been waiting for that opportunity.

I thought Cynthia was right about my dreams, maybe I should have thought of myself a bit more. I went out walking on the street, I wanted this position of a project coordinator for a long time. I spoke to myself "When you desperately need something, you won’t get it. When you get it, you just don’t really need it! It’s absurd. Life is quite mysterious"

As I reached the coffee shop, I saw a guy in a blue t-shirt. He took out his car keys and turned around in excitement as if he had seen Angelina Jolie.

“Hey Kate, what are you doing here?” he said with a smile. I had no idea who he was. He had beautiful green eyes and I felt like I knew him for a long time. But I had no clue to figure out.

“Oh hey, mmm…I think I don’t remember you..sorry... your name” I said with an are-you-kidding look on my face. For my surprise, he hugged me and I felt his right hand went into his pocket as he pulled out a pistol, and held it against my chest before others had noticed.

“If you try to get smarter you will be drop dead, so shut your mouth and get into the car. Hurry up” he murmured into my ears. I got into the passenger seat without another word; he closed the door and got into the driver seat. He turned to my side to say something, but with all my balancing I gave a punch to his face, and got out of the car. I went into the female washroom of the coffee shop and called 911. I heard him inquiring everyone about me outside. Quickly, I explored the rest room, there was a window, I climbed on to the sink and jumped out of the window to the side way of the coffee shop. At that instance, I heard loud foot steps inside the rest room. I was totally scared that I immediately ran towards the main road.

I got into the elevator exhausted. I felt my heart beat so louder that I thought it would blow off by the time I reach the ninth floor. There, I got into Cynthi's apartment, while she was watching TV.

“Hey Kate” Cynthi said without having glimpse at me.

“Oh Cynthi, you wont believe what happened”

She interrupted and said. “Oh Kate, I know you would finally agree to go abroad. It’s all a matter of time to realize the true worthy. It happened to me before when…” with her eyes on TV.

“No Cynthi! No! No! A guy in blue t-shirt near coffee shop tried to...”

“No kidding! You naughty girl! So someone is interested on you”

As usual Cynthi’s imagination became a wild horse.

“Cynthi, HE TRIED TO KIDNAP ME!” I shouted at her.

“Why you refused to go on a date? So is he hot or cool? I used to think guys in blue t-shirts tend to be cool enough to freeze a girl..don't ya think?”

I had no option other than grabbing the remote from her hand to switch off the TV.

“WILL YOU LISTEN TO ME FOR ONE LAST TIME OR YOUR GONNA KEEP ON TALKING LIKE AN IDIOT!!!” I lost my temper obviously.

“Okay, what’s your problem?” she looked at me pretending to be serious.

“This is serious ok! There was a guy near our coffee shop, he tried to kidnap me with a revolver in his hand, but I managed to run into the coffee shop, then he followed me in, I went into the ladies lavatory and escaped through the window and came running all the way down here to you because I had no other place to go, but you don’t even listen to me” I stopped for breathing for a moment and laid myself on the couch.

“You mean…well…I think you had a nightmare or something..so how does he look like?”

“Well he is sure a guy with good looks to be capable of being a CEO and still I don’t get it..how does he know my name? And why the hell he tried to kidnap me?”

Cynthi gave a suspicious look at me “Kate, does this guy have a BMW?”

“Yeah!.... wait a minute. How do you know?”

“So, he had green eyes?”

“Cynthi, do you know him?”

“Well Kate. YES!”

I didn’t believe what I was hearing; I sat back and asked “So who the hell is he?”

Before Cynthi answered to my question, we heard a knock on the front door. I realized my throat was drying with acid fluids melting my abdomen.

She opened the door.

It was only a old lady, I thought it was him. But for my terror, he was standing behind that old lady. I immediately jumped out of the coach and ran into the kitchen to grab a knife for my defense, while hiding behind the pantry.

There was a long silence then I heard laughter, it was Cynthia! I wonder what the heck she was doing down there, I tried to see what was happening in the living room. I didn’t believe my own eyes; Cynthi was sitting right next to that guy and whispering something on his ears. I understood that something was going wrong. I came out from my hiding place. He looked at me and smiled the way he did before on our first encounter.

“Cynthi, what’s going on here? Who is this guy?” I asked Cynthi in madness.

“Oh sorry Kate, I forgot to introduce him to you. David! this is your dream girl Kate! and Kate! this is David, who was your 3rd grade best friend and someone you always wanted to meet!”

“Hey Kate, nice meeting you after a long time” he gave his hands for shake, which I sarcastically refused.

David had been a friend who lived in my mind forever for many reasons and it was true that I really wanted to get back in touch with him after he moved to California, it was almost after a decade I heard about him, since he left. But I seriously didn’t expect that kidnapper would ultimately end up as my childhood boy friend.

“What! NO! I can’t believe this, what’s the proof? He is lying! he tried to kidnap me, I don't believe this nonsense”

He looked at me and I saw his beautiful green eyes; it looked exactly like…..David’s eyes. However, I didn’t give up showing off my expression. How I could have trusted that guy for his eyes; he pointed his revolver on me before. 

He stood up and came closer to me.

“Get back, I’ll call the cops or I would kill you with this knife!!”

“Oh Kate please, I'm sorry, I juss wanted to make fun. Don’t you remember the time when we used to play and since Cynthi told me that you like daring meetings, I pre planned everything. Cynthi knows all about it, in fact its all her idea , if you don’t trust me, you can ask her” He turned and looked at Cynthi.

She nodded saying with a smile “Oh come on Kate, I just thought it would be exciting, besides, you love adventures don’t ya gal?”

I nearly would have kicked her; anyway it was not appropriate to do it at such a moment, So I nodded back at her for affirmation. He gave me a box, I opened it to find out an old greeting card, which had a few untidy handwritten words saying..

Dear David,
I wish you could stay with me forever, I will never forget the interesting funny stuffs we did together. Hope we will meet one day and when it happens please make sure you keep this card with you to show me, I would probably want to see it. I am going to miss you so much.

Your loving girl friend,
Kate

It was the farewell card I gave to David when he was leaving. Since that day I wondered whether I would ever be able to meet him again, those written words had hidden secrets, which the time had revealed.

“David! How did you find me?” I stared at him.

“Well Kate, I’m the CEO of the London branch to which you are going to be shifted, I received an official letter from your office last week, stating that a project coordinator called Kate Watson will be coming to train our teams. I was quite puzzled with the name and my mind started wandering around the letter for a long time. Then I checked your profile and got your details through email from your boss. And it is positively compatible with the dearest girl I had in my mind. Next thing I did was, I came down here and met your friend Cynthi. Then you know the rest…I’m waiting here and begging for you to believe me”

“Oh David! I'm terribly sorry ” I was burst to tears.

He hugged me and I threw my arms around him with joy. We were holding each other for quite long time that we were interrupted by a cough from Cynthi.

“Guys Im still here. Sorry for disturbing”

We stared at each other, amazed by the outlooks how years passed away and changed our appearances, with the same loving souls. He drew out something from his right pocket.

This time it was a small box, he opened it and I saw a diamond ring.

He knelt down asking me “Will you marry me Kate??”

“I have been waiting for you all these time! Yes of course” I said with a smile. We hugged each other once again and I winked at Cynthi saying “Thanx Cynthi, I'm very much excited indeed!.”

“Oh yah! Me too! After all, now you have a good reason to go abroad” she said winking back with a smile.

Somethings never change.
© Copyright 2008 Cliona (cliona at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1372569-Exciting