*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1373153-Infestation
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Sci-fi · #1373153
Science fiction, an investigation goes south.
         Deep in the undergrowth of the once beautiful and distinguished city, a man waited. His face sagged, and his eyes, bloodshot as they were, stared fixedly at a TV monitor.
         The room around him flickered with candlelight, as seven candles lit the room from behind next to his shrine. The shrine was made form old clothing, broken silver, and shattered glass. A prayer mat sat neatly on the floor. On the exact other side of the small room laid a large flat stone. Crimson stains defiled the smooth surface, and bones piled on either side of it.
          The man’s face bore unnatural old age. He was middle aged but the creases in his face, loss of hair, and crooked and gangly teeth made him look much older. He hid his face with a holocaust cloak, dirty and torn at the edges. The room smelled horrible, the stench was thanks to the rotting bones in the corners of the room. The smell didn’t matter to him; nothing mattered to him, because his communion with ‘real’ power mattered more then anything.
         The screen flickered quietly. Then exploded in a shower of lights and sound. The lights went out, and the old man felt dread poor into his heart. He got up and turned around.
         The Ineptus-Incarus was a special section of the Galactic military set up by the imperial magistrate. Its main goal was as simple as anything, to weed out mutants, heretics, and demons. In short their job was to exterminate the threat from within.
         A tall man with a bald head, and armor that fit tightly and fixedly, poking out from the breastplate shoulders and knee pads was a tight thick Carapace armor, he pointed a laser pistol at the clocked man, very angry.
         “Put your hands up scum!” He shouted vehemently as if he owed him money.
         The man babbled confusedly, he didn’t know what to expect, or even what to do.
         “I said get down” still shouting. The bald policeman approached carefully, two others followed him and made a sweep of the small room with handheld sensors.
         The wretched cloaked figure, shrugged his shoulders, which promptly fell off. From the shoulder joint where the arms once connected two, meter long razors burst free, the mans left arm scratched the wall of the tiny room. The rest of the Man burst out into a giant spider monster. A Saggy, and hairy abdomen, with armored legs, a hard black razor on all eight legs spread directed away from the monster, on top of it all secured a small round head with eyes covering it in every direction.
         “Oh no” The bald angry officer breathed to himself, he griped his laser-gun’s handle, grip as tightly as he could. “Fire!” He repeated the order franticly until it was drowned out with the hostile hum of laser fire.
         The other officers had pulled larger rifle versions of the laser pistol and where now hosing the monster down as best they could.
         Lasers screamed across the firm black armor, causing smoke and screaming from the spider’s considerable lungs. The spider shrugged, and lurched towards the nearest officer, a leg raised high like a battle-axe. The officer opened his mouth in a silent scream as he was pined to the wall next to the door. The spider’s legs had no trouble penetrating the armor, and the wall behind him for that matter. It withdrew and sited down the bald officer, who was frantically reaching for something in his fanny pack.
         The other officer continued to lay down cover fire, sizzling the right side of the monsters mass. It howled with rage, and staggered.
         The bald policeman pulled out a green ball, pulled the pin and threw it with a hard, fast motion at the spider’s head. The spider was shifting its weight for a pounce, and moved its head deep into its body blindingly fast so the officer’s primitive weapon sailed right past and collided with the wall.
         The spider’s head popped out again, and broke open revealing sharp and jagged teeth, which smiled disgustingly.
         The green ball on the floor rolled harmlessly away from the wall, and was positioned directly behind the spider that spoke. “Feeble humans,” Said a Scratchy and painfully high pitched. The spider approached, “Your time on this…” just then the green object beeped, and then after a monuments pause exploded out green ooze with such force it covered the spider completely from behind, and most of the room. Steam, and the stench of searing flesh filled the room. The steam came from the surfaces covered with the neon green gel, which covered the spider from behind and half of the room. The two officers on the safe side covered their mouth with their arms and held their fire.
         The spider writhed, crouched and jumped with blinding speed breaking though the ceiling, and effectively disappearing.
         The Bald officer swore loudly, and pulled up his vox-com “all units we have a bug lose,” he walked over to his officer who lay on the ground bleeding, “We also need a medi-vac now.”
         “Stay here,” he ordered, “I’m going to catch us a bugger.” He pulled an energy clip from his pocket and loaded his firearm for round two.
© Copyright 2008 Winston Orwell (person_man74 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1373153-Infestation