*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1376739-Pearl
Rated: E · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1376739
I was absolutely enchanted by this lovely lady named Pearl.
Pearl


Coming out into the sunlight of a new day, there was freshness, a rebirth, a feeling of solace and I was surprised. I thought my problems of yesterday should have troubled me for at least a month. Here on a Saturday morning I was at peace with the world. I walked from my son’s apartment on Park Avenue and grabbed a coffee from Starbucks on something street, picked up the Daily Mirror and continued to Madison Park. I sat down on the bench facing the Flatiron building between the crossover of Broadway and Fifth Avenue and began to shuffle through my paper. A squirrel appeared at my feet and wrinkled its nose at me, wanting some bits of nourishment. I had nothing to offer so it skirted across the sidewalk to a nearby tree. I continued to look at it and smiled thinking it was extremely large, possibly pregnant until I saw another then another. I finally realized I wasn’t in Florida where the squirrels looked emaciated without winter coats.

It was such a beautiful morning I wasn’t in any hurry to read the paper. I put the paper down alongside me and sipped my coffee, taking in all the sights of my little world. There were little children behind the backdrop of New Yorkers and tourist.

I watched with amusement before turning my attention to some young mothers fussing over their children, while the fathers looked bored. An older lady, who I would have guessed to be about seventy-five, caught my interest. She was elegantly dressed in a black shawl decorated with large bright-embroidered red roses. A long black gown covered her legs to her ankles. Her hair, snow white, meticulously fashioned, added to a captivating smile that could melt the hardest of hearts.

She was conversing with several women, who appeared overwhelmed with her presence, all-laughing cheerfully. To satisfy my curiosity, I got up from the bench and casually strolled toward her. On closer examination, she was…beautiful. She must have had several face-lifts, I thought, as I sneaked another glance.

To my surprised, she turned to me, smiled and said, “Isn’t it a beautiful day?”

"Yes,” I replied.

She extended her hand. “My name is Pearl.”

“Delighted to meet you, Pearl. My name is Paul,” I said, extending my hand.

She smiled. “Two peas in a pod,” she mused.

I laughed. “Yes. Do you come here often?”

“On occasion,” she said, her deep, black eyes sparkling.

I was enchanted with her and wanted to continue the conversation as long as I could.

“Pearl, you are a very charming and beautiful woman. But then, I’m sure you have heard that many times in your life.”

“Not as many as you might think,” she said. “But thank you, Paul.”

“Are you living here in the city?”

“Yes, I’ve been here several years. And you?”

“Upstate. Albany. I moved here six years ago from Florida.”

“Where’s your wife?”

Looking at my wedding ring, I said, “My wife passed away several years ago.”

She responded, “Good habits are hard to break, aren’t they?”

“Yes, they are. You’re very wise and perceptive.”

“Might I ask what your interests are?”

“Only if you reciprocate,” I smiled.

“That’s fair,” she replied.

“I like to write…songs, short stories, plays and recently a novel.”

“Are you good at it?”

“Do you mean am I successful?”

“No! Do you think you are a good writer?”

“I’m not sure. I believe I have talent, but I haven’t had anything published.”

“How much of your work have you submitted?”

“A play, a short story and I have had several songs arranged and performed by local artist.”

“Well,” she exclaimed. “I have a writer in my midst.”

“Perhaps more of a person who enjoys writing than a writer.”

“Paul, don’t be so humble.”

“I’m not as humble as I appear; quite the opposite. I’m more of a snob in some ways. I think my novel is a seller and I haven’t yet finished it. How’s that for conceit?”

“That’s exactly how you should feel. You make certain you submit it to everyone. I want to be able to say I had a conversation in Madison Park with the author of…”

“Three Under an Umbrella,” I answered.

“Three Under an Umbrella. It sounds interesting.”

“Thank you. And what are your interest?”

“Movies, the stage…and charmingly good looking writers,” she smiled.

“Well I hope someday, I’ll make your list”

“I’m certain you will,” she said, nodding her head slightly.

“Pearl, How do you keep yourself so young?”

Pearl laughed and with a slight wave of her hand she said. “You are a dear! I guess I prefer spending hours preparing each day to simply relaxing in comfort. That’s the pains of my profession.”

“It looks like an asset,” I replied

A child playing hide-and-seek ran to Pearl and hugged her leg. She giggled while peeking at her mother from behind tiny fingers. As her mother slowly approached, the child began laughing uncontrollably. Pearl was just as elated as the child and began laughing also.

“And what is your name,” she asked as the little girl tried to hide herself from her mother who was only several steps away.

At that moment, I knew it was time for me to move on. I could no longer compete for Pearl’s attention. I waited, however, until the girl ran to her mother.

“I guess I’ll be going,” I said.

Pearl extended her hand and I raised it near my lips as if she were royalty.

“Thank you,” I said. “I enjoyed your company.”

“Thank you,” she whispered. “And don’t forget to finish your novel and submit it.
Hopefully, I’ll see you on Broadway soon.”

“Thank you again,” I replied as she turned to greet mothers and their children.

Then Pearl touched my heart a second time. As I left, not wanting to share her, she called out my name.

“Paul, would you like to see a play this evening? I have two tickets that I won’t be able to use. Do you have someone to accompany you?”

“I didn’t hesitate and said. “Yes, my son, but are you certain you can’t use them?”

She laughed, “I’m certain.”

“I would be honored if you could accompany me.”

“That’s very thoughtful of you, Paul, but it just isn’t possible.”

As I reached for my wallet, she looked at me and smiled. “No, no. Please these are on me.”

“I don’t know what to say or how to thank you.”

“Enjoy the play and tell others to see it. That’s all I ask.”

She smiled and as she turned there was a gathering of women waiting to greet her.

It wasn’t surprising to me that there were people waiting to talk to her. Pearl had to be the Lady of Madison Park to the people who visit frequently. I was tempted to linger a little longer but thought it would be too obvious. Pearl had captured my heart.


Walking up Broadway just to kill time wasn’t pleasant. But several blocks north, a crowd gathered, which perked my curiosity. There were three young boys entertaining New Yorkers and tourist by break-dancing on the street. As I stopped to enjoy the trio, my cell phone erupted, a rooster crowed loudly until I answered. Mike had completed his workout at the gym and would meet me at his apartment in approximately forty minutes. This gave me ample time to leisurely stroll back. Mike called again. He would be detained, and would meet me much later at Raoul’s Restaurant. I walked back to the park hoping Pearl would be there but unfortunately, she wasn’t. Disappointed, I took a long walk to the Museum and delighted myself amongst its treasures.

I returned to Mike’s apartment and freshened up. I called him to verify a time when he would meet me and took a cab to Raoul’s. Mike arrived twenty minutes later, after I had had my second scotch. We sat at a table under the large painting of a nude woman whose fame was etched into the eyes of millions of moviegoers who saw the recent movie “The Departed,” the artist, having received his accolades many years prior. I positioned myself to view the patron’s, waiting anxiously for a star or starlet to enter. Mike knew many celebrities, serving them here at Raoul’s or meeting them at parties and nightspots he frequented. He had moved to the City over twenty years ago after receiving an offer for a position at American Express. He worked there only three months before realizing he wasn’t interested. Having gained experience as a waiter while he was a student in college, he applied for a position here at Raoul’s. It didn’t take him long to master the skill of serving people and, on occasion, serve as a Maitre’d, advancing his expertise.

We embraced when he entered and before he could order a drink, I reached into my pocket and flashed the tickets.

Mike smiled, “You’ve been busy.”

“Yeah. Is it a good play?”

“It’s got good reviews. I saw Brea Daniels several years ago in “Jack’s or Better” and I loved her. She’s beautiful and a great actor.”

“Quite frankly, I never heard of her, but I’m eager to see a play.”

“Where did you get them?”

“I thought you’d never ask. While I was in the park this morning, I met a lady. Not just a lady, but an extraordinary lady. I have no idea of how old she was, but I thought at first somewhere in her seventies. Upon closer observation, she might have been younger. Regardless, she was a gem, and she enchanted me. Not only her beauty, but her poise and mannerism. She was bright and had a tenderness I haven’t seen since your Mother.”

Mike smiled, “What’s her name?”

“Pearl.”

He laughed, “Pearl, yeah, that is a gem.”

“I know exactly what’s going through your mind. She enchants me. It’s not romance. Haven’t you ever met someone you felt an immediate closeness to? Someone you don’t necessarily need to know more about than what you see or feel for the moment.”

“Yes, certainly. Like Kismet,” he said with a grin.

“No…maybe…no! But she’s someone I would like to meet again.”

“You said her name is, Pearl.”

“Yeah, do you know her?”

“No, but I may know of her,” he said teasing.

“You’re putting me on, but I’ll play your game. Has she been in here?”

“I don’t know. But I haven’t seen any attractive seventy-years old here in quite some time,” he said, jokingly. “I don’t check out senior citizens. But maybe you’ll get lucky and she’ll walk in tonight.”

“If she doesn’t, you will have to join me tomorrow morning for a walk in the park.”

“You’re on.”


We finished eating and walked to the Winter Garden on Broadway. The mob of people made it impossible to pass at times, causing us to have to walk in the street more often than on the sidewalk. We stood outside while Mike finished a cigarette and walked into the lobby. I was consumed by the ambience.

As I looked at the program, I nudged Mike. “I don’t recognize one name on this list.”

He laughed. “It’s a good cast.”

We had been waiting only ten minutes when I felt the pain. It was my gallbladder. “Mike, I’ve got to get to your apartment. My gallbladder is acting up and I left my Hydrocodone in my bag. You stay here. There’s no sense in your missing the play”

“No, I’m going with you.”

“Stay, I’ll be all right.”

“No, we better hurry. You don’t look so good.”

By the time we reached the apartment, the pain was excruciating. I popped the pill and laid down. When I woke, Mike made me a cup of tea and I relaxed, feeling much better. We watched some TV while I glanced at the play’s billboard program.

“She’s beautiful,” I said talking to myself.

“Yeah, I told you. Is she as beautiful as Pearl,” Mike answered, teasing me again.

“There’s a resemblance,” I said, lighthearted.

The following morning it rained, so we never got a chance to go to the park. Mike and I had lunch, said goodbye and I hopped on the Metro North. Later in the afternoon, I arrived in Poughkeepsie where I picked up my car and drove back to Albany. I was disappointed in not seeing Pearl again, and not seeing the play, but thankful for my visit with Mike. He had grown to be my right hand man.


Several days later, I received a surprise envelope with the program I left at Mike’s, and a note attached to a clipping from the newspaper:

Dad, I was able to replace the tickets for “The Sun Shiner” for next Saturday evening’s performance, the 22nd. If you can’t make it, I’ll change the date. Call me when you receive this…Love Mike.

Looking at the article, I browsed the gossip column Around Town, which Mike had underlined:

The writer’s strike has been over for fourteen days and everything is back to normal. You might even spot the young beautiful and talented chic, Brea Daniels, who is appearing in the Broadway Production of “The Sun Shiner” gracing Madison Park with her charm. Her legerdemain for those interested is being demonstrated in the late morning hours where she mingles with New Yorkers in the park before the matinee. But pay attention readers, her appearance will fool you. Look for a Foxy Lady, named Pearl.




© Copyright 2008 peter_k (peter_k at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1376739-Pearl