*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1376951-The-Matchmaker
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Horror/Scary · #1376951
Something you might expect to watch on Twilight Zone without Rod Serling's comments.
The Matchmaker
By Peter Kajano


Looking into the mirror, he couldn’t believe his eyes. It was more than an uplift or modest change; his appearance was transformed into the splendor of a face he had seen only several times, wishing somehow he could be the beneficiary of such beauty. There was another transformation occurring also, adding self-assurance to Peter’s inherent characteristics. A gift the gods perfected to tease the humanity of man. He did not hurry trimming his facial hairs with his Norelco. Instead, he gazed at the cleft in his chin, moving his left index finger across his square jaw, touching the indentation while smiling at his reflection.


In an apartment twenty odd blocks away on Park Avenue South, 4th floor, Jen was just awakening. She yawned loudly in the comfort of her room, stretched her arms above her head and bent her toes slightly forward. Glancing upward, she took note of the time magnified by her new clock. The light reflected its numerical image upon the ceiling. She took her time rising and walked into the bathroom, opening the shower door to turn on the spigots. Carefully she tested the temperature of the water, making one final adjustment.

As she began to enter the tub, she caught a glimpse of herself in the hazed mirror. With one leg entering the shower, she stopped, turning to get a second look. Her legs went limp and she nearly lost her balance from the shock of what she saw. Three quick steps put her squarely in front of the mirror. With trembling hands, Jen began to touch and examine the splendor that brought tears of joy to a once shy, lonely, and plaintive face. She knew what had transposed her. It was her selfish yearning to be someone else, someone she had never met. Nonetheless, she was exhilarated.

The water was still running when she heard her phone ringing. Leaving the bathroom, she hurried to answer the call.

“Yes, Yes,” she cried, “I know. It’s a miracle! I thought he was joking. I can’t believe it. I’m still shaking. Where? Yes, that will be fine. Will we recognize each other? No, it will take longer than that. I’ve got to find something special to wear. Maybe in forty-five minutes. I love you too. Ciao.”


Peter had been waiting for fifteen minutes sipping on his second cup of coffee, occasionally sneaking a glance around the room to see who might be looking at him. He thought he had seen several girls giving him the eye, which pleased him. Until an hour ago, his face never attracted attention.

The waitress, topping off his coffee for the third time, made a subtle move on him. “I haven’t seen you here before. I would have remembered you if I had.”

“As a matter of fact, you might say it is the first time,” Peter replied, smiling.

“Is there anything else I can get you, now or later?” emphasizing later. It was the first time anyone had flirted with him.

“Maybe later,” he said, as she winked and turned away to respond to another customer.

Several minutes later Jen walked in clothed in a long black, sheer dress. It exposed beautifully shaped legs through slits beginning at the thigh to somewhere above the calf. The contour of the tightly fitted dress also drew attention to a near-perfect body. Peter saw the aura about her, her face aglow, and her demeanor in total opposition to what she had been only an hour before. Mesmerized by her beauty, he watched her every step. He viewed her with awe and apprehension. Will she find me as attractive, he wondered

For the first time in her life, Jen felt relaxed. She and the room were one. Several times, she nodded at the men who stepped aside to allow her to pass. She looked about the dining room for the one man that would stand out above all others. Recognizing him, she waved. Moving through the aisles she smiled at the onlookers, completely in control of herself.

Peter rose to greet her and kissed her on the cheek. Finding it much too difficult to refrain from his passion, he kissed her on the lips. Jen enjoyed his eagerness and returned the kiss. They backed away, spellbound by the changes they saw.

“I can’t believe what I am seeing!” she said.

“Nor can I,” he replied. “You look beautiful. No, that’s not nearly enough to describe you. How about gorgeous, magnificent, elegant, stunning, divine and a host of other superlatives I can’t think of at this moment. I’m completely dazzled by you.”

“Bewitched, bothered and bewildered? She replied, teasingly.

“Smart ass. And…?”

“Your absolutely handsome.”

“For a moment I was afraid it wouldn’t be enough.”

“I can’t take my eyes off you.”

“Well, we could forgo breakfast and go directly to the nearest hotel,” he said.

“ Not just yet,” she smiled. “Let me get to know myself. It’s so unreal. I’m afraid it’s all a dream.”

“That’s why I’m so anxious to find out.”

“You can wait,” she ribbed.

“I’m sure you’re right, but I can’t help myself. It’s unbelievable! I’m sitting across the table from the most beautiful woman in the world, and I don’t know what to do with her.”

“You’re doing just fine.”

The waitress returned and took their order, obviously annoyed.

“That’s strange, she didn’t say a word. It appears she wasn’t too happy with me being here. Were you flirting with her?”

“No, but she might have been interested, I don’t know,” he replied absently.

“Oh don’t tell me you didn’t notice. This is an entirely new experience for the both of us. We need to be honest about our feelings, especially now or we may succumb to our own expectations of who we think we are.”

He thought about it and had to agree. From the beginning they shared similarities. They both graduated from the University of Florida, arrived in New York a year ago, and loved old movies. They met for the first time in the Regency on a Friday night to watch a special feature. They never would have met but by a strange coincidence.

A tall, distinguished man, sitting between them turned to Jen and said very apologetically, “Forgive me, but before the movie begins, may I offer you some chocolates?” He smiled, as he pronounced chocolate like chalk-o-lots. “Please,” he said, opening a bright red and white bag filled with chocolate truffles. “They’re delicious.”

“Thank you, no.”

“My name is Nathan. I’m the owner of the theatre. And your name is…?”

“Jen.”

“That’s a lovely name. Jen, would you pardon me for a moment, please?”

Turning to his right, he said in a warm friendly accent, “My name is Nathan. Would you care for some chocolates? I was just telling Jen here that I am the owner of the theatre, and I like to greet new people with chocolates. It may sound silly, but it brings to mind a tender thought, which I won’t bore you with. Please, help yourself.”

“No thank you. I’m sorry, but I don’t care for chocolates.”

“That’s perfectly all right. And your name is…?”

“My name is Peter,” he replied politely.

“Peter, meet Jen. Jen meet Peter.”

Jen and Peter nodded and smiled hello.

“I knew from the moment we met, that we all have something in common. This must be one of your favorite oldie’s also.” The laughter in his tone made them feel comfortable with him. “How perceptive of me. As strangers in the Big City, shouldn’t that be enough to begin a friendship?” Not waiting for an answer, he continued, “I would be delighted if after the movie you would join me for coffee. Please, consider it.”


At the coffee shop, they discovered that Nathan was more a friend than they could have imagined. They were fascinated by his wit and his understanding, especially his homily on loneliness for newly transplanted young people to the Big City. He would be their mentor, guiding them through what could be a fulfilling life here in New York. There was an immediate bonding among the three. Nathan had asked for nothing more than to see them occasionally at his theatre whenever an old movie was playing.

Peter escorted Jen home, offering silent thanks to Nathan the Matchmaker. They had grown fond of Nathan over these last few months, impressed by his expertise and knowledge of the Movie Industry. Occasionally, he would talk for hours, weaving tales of legends of the screen with almost supernatural clarity.

In the following days, they witnessed haunting changes in their nature. Not only had their bodies altered, reflecting their new persona, but all evidence of who they were, disappeared. Scars on Peter’s body disappeared. The abnormality of Jen’s left foot, pointing slightly inward when she walked, was no longer noticeable. Their bodies revealed a complete metamorphism from what once had been. After the completion, they were thrilled with the butterfly. There was also an obvious difference in their speech and mannerism, which they never consciously identified. They enjoyed the new life, wonderfully unencumbered by the earlier years of a loveless existence, frustration, and loneliness.

However, the transformation brought its own anticipations and apprehensions, their identity crisis the most troublesome. Fortunately, they had the good advice of Nathan who assisted them in working out all the details.

He went so far as to arrange their employment in the area of their experience without any difficulty. Obviously, he knew the right people and places and had the resources to provide the needed incentives. Though it was unsettling for the first several months, the challenges were welcomed and worth the minor discomforts they were forced to endure.

They were the perfect match, finding their life free from anxiety. Now as they entered into their first anniversary, what better time they thought, to get married. They had nothing more to prove or to experience as single adults. They had lived together almost seven months, and replayed their roles over and again. It was time to legitimize their relationship and bring new life into their world.

Nathan was the only person they called. He would be the best man, providing wise and conscientious insight into the planning of all the details. It probably would not be a surprise to him, but they thought he would be ecstatic nonetheless.

Nathan was warm to the good news and their invitation, and wanted to meet with them the following evening at the theatre. By chance, he noted, their favorite movie, the one they had viewed together a year ago, was to be shown. It would be the perfect beginning for this special occasion. To add to its remembrance, Nathan was sending by courier, a complete wardrobe for the newly engaged, consisting of clothes and jewelry. They were not to wear any other clothes or jewelry then those he had sent. It was important that everything be as he directed. Nathan also made an appointment for Jen at Andre’s Salon. Andre himself would be expecting her at three pm. His request was not unusual, for he always conducted their affairs in the same manner, although sometimes it was not as bizarre. The plans of the day proceeded true to form, as was the case whenever Nathan made the arrangements. Everything was perfect.

While they enjoyed a taste of very expensive champagne in the luxury of a limousine, the chauffer drove through the east side of Central Park. Upon arriving at the theatre, twenty-two minutes later, Nathan welcomed them, assisting Jen from the Limo. He gave her a kiss on the cheek. She responded with a tight hug and a whisper of thank you, while Peter greeted him with an enthusiastic handshake.

Two ushers stood at opposite ends of the Marquee interrupting anyone who was unmindful
of the large bold signs. It was obvious that Nathan had planned this to be an exclusive showing. It brought laughter to the two arrivals, and a large smile flashed across Nathan’s face. He took Jen by the arm, escorting her into the theatre with Peter tagging along. Jen took hold of Peter’s arm as the three entered the foyer. After they entered, the doors were closed and the ushers disappeared.

This movie had always electrified the couple, but tonight it was much more consuming. They were watching themselves perform. They had fallen in love with their characters, having become their reflections on and off the screen. When the movie ended, there were tears in Jen’s eyes. Peter leaned forward to gently kiss her ear lobe, whispering, “Are you all right?”

She responded by nodding her head, while wiping her tears with a tissue and turned to assure him with a smile. “I love you,” she said.

On the screen, the list of credits moved vertically in a steady flow of names, acknowledging the contributors in the sequence of importance. Seldom did anyone pay attention to those names. However, had someone been interested, they would have been surprised to find Nathan listed as the screenwriter.

Before the lights brightened the room, Nathan stood up and thanked them. Immediately, the theatre was alive with the applause and cheering of dozens of couples that they did not see or hear during the performance.

Peter and Jen turned with curiosity in response to the noise. They did not comprehend what they were witnessing until the lights illuminated the shadows. Standing before them, was an audience of hundreds of genetic copies, identical replicas of Peter and Jen, all dressed in the same apparel.

A shrill of laughter filled the theatre. Peter, frightened, stood motionless. Jen understood perfectly the consequences of what they had joyfully sought. All those in that theatre had sacrificed their souls to the Matchmaker…idol worshippers frozen in time. Jen fell to her knees screaming.

Nathan, opening a bright red and white bag filled with chocolate truffles, looked down at Jen and asked, “Chalk-o-lots?”



© Copyright 2008 peter_k (peter_k at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1376951-The-Matchmaker