*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1377129-That-Little-Old-Man-In-Our-Head
Rated: E · Short Story · Children's · #1377129
A child's story. How do your remember things? Nose slime in and belly button lint.
Trinity and Grandma were spending the day together, as they so often do, when Trinity suddenly giggled and said her ear "tickled" and reached up to rub it.
    "Careful you dont hurt the dinosaur".  Grandma told Trinity.  "Your ear is tickling because the dinosaur is sticking his head out to look around".
    Again, Trinity giggled, but this time it was at grandma.  What a thing to think.  How could a dinosaur be in her ear?
    "Well, young lady, we all have a dinosaur....or a dragon...in our ear and I shall tell you why"
    "When we are all very very little there is a teeny tiny little man that comes to live in our head.  The only thing he carries is a large bag out of carpet, which is as light as a feather.  This little man carefully climbs up to your ear and climbs in and walks around this large area inside that will become his new home.
    He sits down the bag, opens it up, and starts pulling out one thing after the other, all which will help to make you, Trinity, who you are.  Out comes large rug for the floor of your cranium, a tall desk,  tall stool to put by the desk, a quill and ink.  Next he pulls out a rather large egg...this one has purple and green spots...and places it in a warm corner in your head.
    He reaches further down into the bag and pulls out....a snail.  This snail is gently placed into your nose.  Gently because he doesnt want you to sneeze while he is doing this.  The snail will make all of the great slime you kids love so much. When the little old man dusts it bothers the nose snail and you sneeze and make some great slime.  Oh and remember how your fingers are all different lengths?  The nose snail nibbles your finger tips when you shove them up there in your nose. So keep your fingers out of your nose or the nose snail will nibble, nibble, nibble.
    Back to the bag he goes and out comes...a little lamb, which he puts under his arm and climbs down to your belly button, where he shoves the lamb clear into the back.  Now you know where the lint comes from.  He also uses the lint to make warm blankets and a fluffy bed.
    Soon the egg hatches and out comes a dinosaur....his pet.  Dino will give you your headaches when he plays with a ball made of ear wax, but really he is just there as a pet.
    The little old man then scoops up some ear wax and snips off a bit of your hair so he can make candles...the hair is used for the wicks.  Sometimes  the fire from the candle is too high and that is why you are in a bad mood....it makes you hot headed.
    He then taps the water around the brain to use for washing the floor...it drains out of your eyes, that is why your eyes water or you cry, when this happens you know the little old man is washing the floor.
    Finally, and most importantly, he reaches in the bag once again and pulls out a huge book, which he carefully places on the high desk.  He climbs up on the high stool and opens the book, covered in gold and carved with faries and castles with the words  'Hopes and Dreams'.  He starts writing on the front page of the big  book, your name and the date you were born.  In this book he shall write all of your hopes, dreams and memories and keep them safe.
    So remember that when you are rubbing your ear to not hurt the dinosaur.  Keep your fingers out of your nose or they will get nibbled.  When digging the lint out of your bellybutton dont dig too deep. And dont shake your head too much or it will shake the little old man off of his stool."
    "Your crazy, grandma" stated Trinity.  But Trinity still got up and wandered over to the mirror to look for the dinosaur and snatched her fingers away from her nose...just in case grandma wasn't so crazy.
   
© Copyright 2008 dramaqueenmama (dramaqueenmama at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1377129-That-Little-Old-Man-In-Our-Head