*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1377229-Chapter-1----State-Victory
by colinj
Rated: 18+ · Chapter · Fantasy · #1377229
The first chapter to my story The Eleventh Prophecy. Editing as i go
Lungs burning and heart racing he pushes himself just a little faster. Knowing full well he has his reputation to up hold its easy to tap that seemingly endless well of strength. Its a dry arid state and he notes the dust under his feet provide little grip. If he falters now or makes a mistake he knows it may cost him his life or worse, his honor. Only the weak give up and die while the strong shape the world in their image. The shouts of encouragement quickly turn to muffled ambiance as his focus bears down on his opponent. He can smell the sweat beading down the mans forhead as if it were his own.
By sprinting right for him he causes confusion and forces the man to react. It's during this three second window that they often make their mistake. This time is no different. His opponent makes the grevious error of attempting to hurl his small blade. It's an easy evade and rewards with precious seconds of an unarmed opponent. With an elegant leap followed by a quick summersault a look of confusion turns to one of pain and agony. Two six inch blades burried hilt deep into the mans kiddnies drop him to his knees. A pain so excruciating he cannot scream. Muttering a small recognition for the mans courage he wipes the twin blades and places them in opposite sleeves. His General will be pleased with him as usual.
Only a handful of soldiers were trusted to deliver the Empire a state victory by the way of duels. Colt was one of those rare soldiers. His ability to comprehend the aspects of combat began to blossom at an abnormally young age. His home, the theran state was known for its legendary military. It was a proudly displayed fact that all sons of Theranian blood were to be born and raised soldiers. This custom forged an incredibly skilled and nemerous army for the ancient state. Amongst such a prestiges backdrop Colts ability to stand out from the rest drawed a great deal of attention.
At the age of eight Colt was apprehended by authorities. Appearing unremarkable he was placed under arrest for theft and treated like any other street rat busted one too many times. At such an early age he had already begun to show characters of leadership and tactic. Commanding a small gang of street orphans he would hijack merchants wears and sell them for food. A simple matter of theft seemed of little note. It was not until Colt was brought forward as being responsible for break two soliders noses and anothers leg in the struggle that an officers attention became aroused. Three full grown Theranian blood brought to their knees by an eight year old boy demanded such attention.
Colt was offered a reduced sentence under the stipulation that he serve a mandatory ten sin term in the military. He eagerly accepted knowing full well the rumours that circulated about the cruelty of the state prisons. After less then a sin in prison he was released and began his military training. Any knowledge Colt hadn't learned through natural talent and intellect he quickly accumulated from the ancient military school Shankeih. A school traced back over three Changeovers Shankeih was the pride of the Theran state. It provided the indestructible alloy Theranians seemed to be chisled from.
At the age of eighteen Colt was already becoming a renowned soldier. His ability to reason and measure his surroundings led him to many successful confrontations on and off the battlefield. Around the age of twenty one the Empire found an adventious use for Colts abilities. Talent of one soldier alone often had little effect on the outcome of a large scale battle. To utilize Colts ability to soldier the Empire offered resisting states the option of a state duel. The outcome included the ability to minimize losses and still continue to expand the Empire at an even quicker rate then continuous years of warfare. It's effect was even greater then expected as duel after duel was won by the Empires new toy. Only four states had remained of the twelve. Looking down at his most recent victim Colt crossed off another reducing that number to three.


© Copyright 2008 colinj (colinjmorgan at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1377229-Chapter-1----State-Victory