*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1380101-Salvania-Ch-One-Unexpected-Troubles
Rated: E · Chapter · Fantasy · #1380101
it is the introduction to the land of Salvania
Chapter I
Unexpected Trouble

A young woman in an elegant, dark red silk dress sat silently on a hillside. Her long, strawberry-blond hair fell loosely about her, moving slightly in the gentle breeze. Her name was Allena. She was the High queen of the Orthinarcs, the people of the sky. She stared into the distance not seeing the land which stretched before her. She was too troubled with thoughts of the unknown troubles which the future could hold. She sighed, and tried to put the thoughts of the war out of her mind as she did moved her hand to her protruding belly. She thought of her baby she would be born soon within the next few weeks, but then she thought of the turmoil her daughter would be born into and how dark her future could be. She heard footsteps and turned to see a tall, strongly built man approaching her. She recognized him instantly as her husband, Lord Aqil, High King of the Orthinarcs. He came and stood next to her.
“What’s wrong?” He asked looking down at her concern deep in his dark eyes.
Allena looked up and gave him a small smile “I’m fine,” She replied.
Her husband continued to look down at her intently and when she didn’t continue sighed, “I know you to well, Allena, there is something wrong. Tell me,”
She sighed and motioned for him to sit down next to her. Once he had she said, “It’s just I’m so worried. We are taking quite a risk. I mean if anything happens while we are gone, it will take such a long time to get back, and by then it may be too late. We shouldn’t have tried to make this trip. It is dangerous and if anything happens..,”
He put his finger to her lips to silence her, “You worry too much, my love,” he took her hand in his, “It’s not good for our baby or you. Allena, you know that I would never let anything happen to you, either of you?”
“I know… but Aqil, it is still so dangerous. If Deriene attacks… we don’t possess the power to face him,” She looked at him fear shone in her eyes.
Aqil squeezed her hand reassuringly, “I know, but you still shouldn’t trouble yourself. It hasn’t happened yet, and we will reach Berthidleia by nightfall, so please just relax. Remember, you used to enjoy this annual journey so much. I remember when a while back when Arod was still small. We thought we lost him or left him behind, but it turned out he was just hiding by the cooks with the guards,”
“Yes,” she said also smiling, “we were so worried. We scolded him and told him never to scare us like that again but he just smiled at us and said that he wanted to learn to fight to impress Adellia,” She stared at him, “He reminded me of you when we first met, always trying to impress me,”  she shook her a had smiling as she reminisced.
“Of course he takes after me,” Aqil said, swelling with pride.
“Yes, I know he does, but sometimes I wish he didn’t,” As she spoke a man in the servant’s walked up, and bowed to Allena.
“Excuse me, Sire,” he said apprehensively, bowing low to Aqil, I didn’t mean to interrupt,”
“It’s quite all right,” replied Aqil good-naturedly, “What is it?”
“Most of the carriages are ready. We should be able to make it to the Berthidleia by dusk if we leave soon,” he replied.
“Thank you, Tarenger. Go tell the guards we leave soon,” he ordered.
Tarenger bowed low again, “Yes, Sire,” he replied and ran off.
Lord Aqil stood dusted himself off and turned to his wife who was also trying to get up but having a hard time, “Let me help you up,” he said reaching out his hand.
She grabbed it. He carefully pulled her to her feet and helped her steady herself once she was up. The moment he let go and backed a way, Allena suddenly lost her balance and almost fell.
Aqil quickly reached out and caught her, “Are you all right?” he asked not letting go of her again.
“I-I’m fine…j-just a bit woozy but I’ll be all right,” she replied softly ashen faced.
“You’re turning white,” said Aqil nervously, “Do you think you can make it to our tent?” He asked gently.
She shook her head.
“Then I’ll carry you,”
“No,” she said softy, “I’ll do it myself,”
“Are you sure?”
She nodded her reply.
Aqil wrapped is arm around her waist to support her as she leaned on him. Scarcely a minute later Aqil noticed they were nearing the center of the camp, and just in front of them was their large tent made out of a rich red cloth, “Almost there,” he said encouragingly. He pushed aside a curtain covering the entrance and they walked in.
One of Allena’s female attendants, Emek, was in the tent packing up some of the belongings when Aqil and Allena entered. She tuned at the sound of footsteps and gasped, “Lady Allena…what’s happened is she in labor?” She asked franticly.
“I don’t think so replied Aqil, “Help me get her in to bed”
Together the maid and Aqil got Allena in to a crude yet elegant bed located on the far side of the tent. “You need rest and maybe some food,” he looked at Allena questionably.
She gave him a tiny nod of agreement.
“All right then,” he said and kissed her lightly on the forehead then stood back, “I’ll be back soon with some food,” He addressed her Attendant, “Will you stay with her?”
She nodded and instantly turned and began to attend to Allena.
Aqil left, making sure to pull the curtain down behind him. He walked across the camp which was in the process of being dismantled, until he reached another, much smaller tent of a dull gray. He pulled back the curtain and walked in. There were three men grouped around a table talking in low voices, arguing over a map that was spread out in front of them. They were dressed in identical uniforms of light detractive armor over crimson tunics. Each had a sword tied to a decorative belt on his waist. Aqil looked around the tent. Aqil noticed his son, Crown Prince Arod who was also Captain of the Royal Guard, sergeant Jagar of Cirke, and Carnz, but not the man whom he was seeking The men continued in their discussion until one of them, the tallest, Arod, sighed, and looked up and noticed his father standing there.
He gave a slight bow and asked, “Lord Aqil, what are you doing here?” he was slightly surprised he wasn’t expecting to see his father than.
His question startled the other two who also turned and bowed much lower to the king.
“What’s wrong?” asked Arod looking at Aqil questionably.
“Nothing, Arod,” replied Aqil irritably, “where is Lithean?”
Arod opened his mouth to reply but the broad shouldered man standing next to him answered first “He went ahead, my lord,”
Aqil fixed Jagar with a dark stare; he wanted to know more, why, how far, when he planned to return,”
“He said he wanted to see if the any of others had arrived yet. He said he would meet us in Berthidleia,” Said Arod watching his father warily; he knew how his father felt about the disregarding of authority.
“What,” hissed Aqil dangerously, “He’s not to leave this camp without speaking to me directly about and never this late in the evening! I told him that myself,”
“Forgive me, my Lord,” came a cool voice from behind the king,
Aqil turned to find Lithean, the white haired weasel himself standing in the doorway
He gave a small smile, “I was asked to leave by Lady Adellia,”
Aqil studied Lithean suspiciously, “By Adellia?” he asked skeptically.
“Yes, by Adellia. I left to report to her…at her request,” added Lithean quickly, but at the expression on Aqil's face, he asked, “Why, has something happened?”
Aqil gave him the slightest of nods as he said, “No, but I would like to have a word with you,” he glanced around at the others, “alone,” he said sternly.
Lithean bowed, “Of course, my lord,”
“Let’s go,” said the smallest guard, Carnz. Before leaving he bowed low to the king and gave Lithean a curt nod, then drew back the curtain and left.
Jagar immediately moved to follow him but paused before leaving and turned to address Lithean, “I thought you were going to meet us at Berthidleia?”
“I was, Jagar, but I arrived there earlier than I had expected, so I came back,” Lithean answered smoothly his eyes never leaving Aqil’s.
“I see,” he replied slowly, “My lord, if you need to find us we will be by the cooks,” Jagar speaking to the king with respect and poise,
Aqil nodded to show he had heard.
Noticing that Arod had yet to move, Jagar said. “Captain your father asked to be left alone,” With that Jagar left leaving just the three men behind.
Aqil turned to his son “Are you not leaving?” he asked. His tone was calm, but he gave Arod the look.
Arod weighed his words carefully before speaking, “You have yet to answer my question…my Lord,” He replied simply.
Aqil closed his eyes trying to keep calm “What question?” he asked testily.
“‘What’s wrong?’” repeated Arod, “Don’t say 'nothing,'
“Arod,” said the king warningly.
Arod continued on, “I know there is something wrong so tell me what is it?” demanded Arod.
“There is nothing wrong, Arod, now leave,” said Aqil angrily.
“I'm not leaving,” Retorted Arod stubbornly, “If there’s nothing wrong then why can’t I stay?” he asked knowing full well what trouble he could get in for it.
Aqil’s temper was rising now, “I said LEAVE!” he shouted. He did not have time for Arod’s silly games.
Arod held his ground, “I will not leave, not until you tell me the truth,”
Aqil sighed. He knew there was no use arguing. Once Arod had made up his mind, there was no changing it, “I told your mother I would get food for her. Tend to it for me,” He said desperately trying to persuade Arod to leave. “I assure you, that is the truth, and you know your mother will be getting impatient by now,”
“Fine,” said Arod giving in and walking to the door, “I still expect an answer,” With that he pulled the curtain back and left.
“I apologize about that,” said the king to Lithean. He pulled out a chair from under the table and sat down. “I swear that boy is getting more and more stubborn by the day,”
Lithean moved aside the map the guards were arguing over before. “There is no need, my lord, but there is something wrong isn’t there?” inquired Lithean sitting down next to the Aqil.
Aqil nodded, “Yes,” He said solemnly, “It’s Allena; she is pale, lightheaded, and weak,”
“My Lord, she is pregnant,” said Lithean tranquilly, “She has been pregnant before. You should used to this by now. It’s normal,” replied Lithean, unconcernedly. He leaned back in his chair clearly thinking that the king was simply over reacting.
“No, no” said the Aqil standing up and starting to pace, “it’s different this time. I don’t know how to explain it, but you have to understand this isn’t normal. Not for her, not for Allena,”
Lithean listened carefully and watched the king paced back and forth, with a mild expression on his face, “My lord, you need to relax. Try explaining to me why you think that this isn’t normal?” He said trying to calm the king.
“In the past...she has gotten lightheaded, but she always got better after sitting down for a while.... This time she was sitting. She was feeling fine, a little worried, but that’s it. When she stood up she almost fell over and she turned so pale. She looked like a ghost. She was too weak to even make it to the tent on her own,” finished Aqil. He stopped pacing and stared at Lithean.
Lithean stared back, “I see,” he said thoughtfully, “it’s most likely from stress, yes, it is most defiantly from stress. It has been a long journey, and you said yourself she was worried. She has probably just overworked herself,”
Aqil sighed in relief, “That does make sense,” he said slowly sitting back down again, “What did Adellia..,” but he was unable to finish his statement for just then Arod came rushing though the door of the tent.
“Nothing wrong!” he shot at his father, “You lied to me. I knew it. What's wrong with Mother she won’t wake up?”
Aqil stood up, “What!” He said.
“I took her food like you asked. Her attendant told me she was sleeping so I tried to wake her so that she could eat because she looked pale, but she wouldn’t wake up. What happened? No more lies, she’s my mother I have a right to know,” he said looking at his father.
“S-she won’t wake up?” Aqil asked, fear spreading across his face.
“Yes, Father, that’s what I said. What do mean? Didn’t you know?” Asked Arod not sure what to think anymore.
“Know? Of course I didn’t. If I had I would have told you,” He replied heatedly
“Are you sure she won’t wake up, Arod?” Cut in Lithean.
“Yes, Lithean, I’m positive. I don’t understand what going on,”
The other two ran out while Arod was still talking. So Arod turned and fallowed them.
Aqil threw aside the vale blocking the entrance to the tent and stepped in. Allena was lying just as he had left her and she was still quite pale. Aqil crossed the room and kneeled down beside the bed, “Allena? Allena, can you hear me?” he reached out and touched her hand, “She is cold,” said the king quietly not turning around.
“I-is she d-dead?” asked Arod his voice breaking he looked at his father, “Father she isn’t dead is she?”
“Let me see her,” said Lithean sternly, but then more softly, “Sire, I need to see her. If I can find out what’s wrong; I might be able to help, but only if you let me see her,” said Lithean moving closer to the king who didn’t move.
“Father?” said Arod speaking gently, “Father, please. Lithean is right you have to let him try he might be able to help,” At first it seemed as though Aqil would not move, but he stood, slowly, and moved aside so Lithean could get a better look at the unconscious queen.
“Thank you, sire,” Lithean said kneeling down beside the queen and examining her closely. He placed his hand on her forehead, and closing his eyes, began murmuring indistinctly, “She isn’t dead Arod,” he said after a while opening his eyes, “Get me some blankets,” he said suddenly standing up, “We need to keep her warm,”
Arod moved around to a trunk at the end of the bed. From it he pulled some extra blankets and a pillow. He handed these to Lithean who took them and with the help of Aqil covered the Allena and propped her up on the pillow.
“Did you find out what’s wrong with her?” Aqil asked Lithean.
Lithean looked up and found both Arod and Aqil staring at him intently. He knew what was wrong with her and for a moment he considered not telling them. For he knew they would take it badly. He sighed and said, “It’s the babe it has weakened her,”
Arod went pale his eyes wide he stared down at his mother.
“How?” asked Aqil.
“I don’t know,” replied Lithean quietly.
“Are you sure,” asked Aqil.
Lithean nodded,
“You can’t find out?” Aqil inquired unrelentingly.
Again Lithean nodded.
Aqil sighed his mind turning. He then asked, “Do you think you can find out something else?”
Lithean considered for a moment and then replied truthfully, “It depends what it is,”
“I need to know if her powers are still intact,” stated Aqil.
Confusion spread over Lithean’s face at Aqil’s words. He clearly did not understand what the king was asking him to do and why. Lithean turned to look at Arod wondering if he had understood.
Arod didn’t return his gaze he just stood there staring at his mother.
Lithean turned back to the king, “What do you mean?” he asked
“I mean what I mean,” was Aqil’s first thought, but he knew that he needed to explain more fully. After thinking for a short time, he took a deep breath and said weighing his words carefully before he spoke then said, “I need you to find out if Allena’s powers are still intact. By that I mean are they as strong as they would be if, if she were well,”
Lithean stared at him quite befuddled, “She can’t use them,” said Lithean think the king might be going mad.
“I know that,” said the king annoyed, “you need to understand if…”
“If her powers are weakened or gone that would mean ours would be diminished as well,” cut in Arod tearing his eyes away from his mother they were now locked on Aqil’s.
“Yes, that is correct,” said the king solemnly “Do you understand now, why it is so important that we know?” he asked Lithean
“Yes of course. I will check,” Lithean turned back to the queen and repeated the same ritual he had done earlier. He stopped and tuned back to the king and the prince who had moved to his father’s side, “She still has her powers,” he said as the others sighed in relief, “but they are weak as she is,”
Aqil asked his voice filled with worry, “What of the baby?”
“Is it all right?” asked Arod.
“The babe if fine,” said Lithean reassuringly, “My lord, I must inform Lady Adellia as to what has happened,”
“No,” replied Aqil sternly turning his back on Lithean.
“My lord, she needs to know. She may be able to help. If we are attacked…”
“I know what will happen if we are attacked, but to try to send a message of such delicate information is foolishness,”
“Lord Aqil, we need to…”
“No!” was Aqil’s angry reply, “What do you think will happen, Lithean? What could Adellia possibly do? She is miles away…”
“Aqil, I don’t know what to do,” said Lithean helplessly, “I cannot help her when I don’t know what exactly is wrong,”
Aqil turned back to him frustrated, “That doesn’t matter! I do not care if…”
“Doesn’t matter?” asked Lithean in surprise, “My lord, think about what you’re saying. Of course it matters. What if she grows worse? I cannot help her. What if she dies; would you care then?”
“Lithean do not question me,” Said Aqil firmly,
Lithean opened his mouth to contest,
“Do not interrupt me,” said Aqil, “Just listen. If you do somehow manage to communicate with Adellia; what then? What could she do to help? No. I will not risk such information being transferred. It would be like walking right into the waste lands of Daren and knocking on the doors of Deriene’s stronghold. It would put everyone here’s lives at risk.” Aqil stared down at Lithean, “It would be better to head out now and try to reach Berthidleia by nightfall. There she will be safe,” he finished leaving Lithean dumb struck. Aqil gazed at his wife for a moment before turning to his son, “Arod get everyone going we leave immediately,” he ordered.
Arod hesitated then gave a slight bow and left.
© Copyright 2008 K. R. Davis (k.r.d at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1380101-Salvania-Ch-One-Unexpected-Troubles