*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1380127-In-Destinys-Arms--Chapter-2
by Laina
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Romance/Love · #1380127
Lena is shocked to find out who saves her life...
“See ya later, Skyler!” Rhysen called over his shoulder as he and Lola walked the other way. Usually, we walked home together, but every Monday and Friday, Lola had cheerleading, and Rhysen had hockey, so I had to walk home alone.
I was half way home when I started feeling dizzy. I didn’t think much of it, my sugar must be low. I’m diabetic, so I can’t let it get too low, or too high. I reached into my pocket for a candy, knowing that always helped. Next thing I knew, everything went dark...

                                                        ***

I was walking home. I usually take my car, but it wasn’t starting right that morning, so I had walked. Thank God I did, because if I hadn’t walked to school that day, I wouldn’t have had to walk home again, and then I wouldn’t have found her.
I was about a block from my house when I saw her. There Lena was, right in front of me, laying in the snow. At first I thought that she was just watching the sky, an angel in the snow, but then I realized that something was very wrong.
I ran over to her, and picked her up. She was unconscious, and as limp as a ragdoll in my arms. I braced my back on a nearby wall, and held her as tightly, and as closely, as I could. I pulled out my cell, dialing 911 as quickly as possible.
“911, what is your emergency?”
“Lena...she’s unconscious...I found her lying in the snow. I think hypothermia is starting to set in! Oh God, please, I need help!” I screamed.
“Does she have a pulse?” The operator asked me.
I checked.
“Yes, she does.”
“Is she breathing?”
“Yes, she is.”
“Okay, an ambulance is on the way. In the meantime, keep her as warm as you can.”
I did what the woman said. I tore my jacket off in a hurry, and wrapped it around Lena. Then I stood up and carried her around, holding her close, trying to warm her up. I wrapped her arms around my neck so she wouldn’t fall, then proceeded to rub my warm hands down her body, trying desperately to get her warm, praying an ambulance would come soon.
Finally it came. The paramedic strapped Lena into a Gurney, loading it into the ambulance.
“I’m coming.”
“That’s okay, kid. You did your part. You go on home and get some rest.” The older, burly, male paramedic said.
“Look, I am not leaving Lena’s side until she wakes up.” I stated firmly.
The younger paramedic sighed.
“Alright, get in.”
I climbed up beside Lena, and just sat staring at her while all the doors were being closed.
I picked up her hand, and held it tightly, before kissing her palm lightly.
“Come on, Lena, wake up! I’m here with you, Angel, I won’t leave.”
I held her palm against my cheek, praying she would open her eyes.
Very soon, we were at the hospital. I walked beside her as they wheeled the gurney down the hall to a vacant room. The paramedics carefully moved Lena into the bed, then gave her a shot of something.
“Do you know what happened?” I asked the doctor anxiously.
“She’s diabetic. Her sugar is all the way up to 33. Thank Goodness you found her when you did, or she could’ve gone into a coma, not to mention froze to death outside in the snow!” The doctor replied.
“Will she be alright?”
“Oh yes. We already gave her some insulin. We’ll have to give her some every couple of hours, and she’ll have to stay here for a week or so, but then she should be okay.”
I gave a deep sigh of relief.
“Would it be alright if I stayed her with her?” I asked, pleadingly.
“Sure, I don’t see why that would be a problem. I would check with your parents first though.”
I nodded. I pulled my cell out and called home. My mom answered.
“Blaze, honey, why aren’t you home? Are you alright?” She asked worriedly.
“Yes, Mum. I’m fine. But a friend of mine is in the hospital. I found her in the snow and came to the hospital with her. Can I stay here, just so I know she is alright?”
“Okay, Blaze.”
I hung up the phone, then sat down in a chair beside Lena’s bed. It wasn’t long before I fell asleep.
A little while later, I woke up. It took me a minute to remember where I was. I heard a soft sigh, coming from Lena. I stood up beside her bed, and placed a soft kiss to her forehead. Just as I straightened up, her eyes fluttered open.
“Blaze? Where am I? What are you doing here? Why do I hurt so much?” She asked me in confusion.
“Lena, your in the hospital. I found you in the snow this afternoon.”
She tried figuring out the pieces, I could tell. When I told her she was unconscious she giggled at me and asked why would she be sleeping in the snow.
The doctor says your sugar is 33. How are you feeling?”I asked worriedly.
“Dizzy.” She murmured.
I picked up her hand and held it against my cheek.
“I’m so glad you’re finally awake. I was so worried.” I murmured.
Lena blushed.
“I’m so sorry, Blaze. I’m sure you must have better things to do on a Friday than to have to sit her with me.” She said, tears filling her soft, blue eyes.
“Oh, Lena, sweetheart, don’t cry. I didn’t have to sit with you. I begged to be able to stay with you.”
“I’m...so...sorry!” She sobbed.
“Of all the things to apologize for, Lena, this is not high on the list. I’m just glad I found you when I did. A little longer and you would’ve gotten hypothermia. Plus the doctor said that if I hadn’t found you when I did, you were very close to lapsing into a coma. It was touch and go there for a while. I was so scared. I didn’t know if you were going to make it.” I said softly, reaching out and wiping the tears from her face. She reached up and held my hand against her face, and my heart damn near broke.
“Alright now?” I asked softly.
Lena nodded, then smiled at me. I could see her eyelids starting to droop.
“You go to sleep, Lena. The doctor says you need lots of rest to recuperate. Don’t worry, I’ll still be here when you wake up.”
I leaned down and kissed her forehead, then pulled the blankets up around her chin, and watched as she fell asleep.

                                                    * * *

I wasn’t sure I was awake. It certainly felt like a dream. I felt someone kiss my forehead, opening my eyes, only to see Blaze standing above me.
I must still be dreaming, I thought.
Except I didn’t remember going to sleep, or even getting home from school, for that matter.
A sudden pain ripped through me, making me realize that I was very much awake.
“Where am I?” I asked softly.
“Lena, you’re in the hospital. I found you in the snow earlier this afternoon.”
“Why would I be in the snow? Oh, we must’ve been making snow angels together!” I exclaimed, trying to fit together the pieces of the puzzle.
“You were unconscious.” Blaze told me softly.
“Now, Blaze, why would I be sleeping in the snow?” I giggled at his silliness.
“Not sleeping, sweet, but rather passed out.”
That explained why I didn’t remember getting home.
Blaze picked my hand up, and laid it against his cheek, and I swear, a little shiver ran through me, just from the warmth and nearness of him.
All of a sudden, big, salty tears were running down my face.
“I’m so sorry, Blaze. I’m sure you must have better things to do on a Friday than to have to sit her with me.” I sobbed.
“Oh, Lena, sweetheart, don’t cry. I didn’t have to sit with you. I begged to be able to stay with you.” He whispered, holding my hand.
He looked so worried.
He reached out, wiped the tears from my face, and told me to go back to sleep. I was out before I hit the pillow.

                                                    ***

She was beautiful when she was sleeping. Really she was. She looked so peaceful and serene, almost like a fairy child, nestled under all the covers. I reached down and smoothed her hair back out of her face, smiling to myself as she slept. She was like an angel.
‘My angel.’ I thought happily...
© Copyright 2008 Laina (littledreamer1 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1380127-In-Destinys-Arms--Chapter-2