*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1383079-2am
Rated: E · Short Story · Emotional · #1383079
Just another story to practice new words
Titled: 2am.

It was 2am in the morning, with a tearful sky spilling tears mercilessly over a small town. Amidst the deserted street stood a young couple locked in each others embrace. The man, was lean, dressed simply in a loose white shirt, dark bermudas, with a hair swept back in a neat row just like his mother taught him to.

The girl, had on a simple simple pink blouse that complemented her immaculate white skirt as perfectly as skies matched clouds. Her hair, was long and flowing, with a fringe that gave it character. Together they held each other in silence, warming each from the chilly rain without a word.

Then the man heaved and said, "I hope this night wouldn't end Lucy... I just hope it doesn't". With that, Lucy replied, "Jack, this is not up to you or me to decide, it has to end as soon as the sun wakes up.", she cried a single tear as she said that.

Those words brought pain to Jack's heart, giving him flashbacks to the past. It was barely a week ago that his mother had confronted him about his and Lucy's relationship.
"Jack, you are to end this relationship within 5 days, Nolens Volens!" she had ordered him,
"but mum , why?" he questioned,
"Because, you are the only heir to this family's business. It your duty to marry a wealthy lady of notable stature who can at the very least handle herself with dignity!" came the reply, his mother continued,
"I already made my stand, Nolens Volens. It shall be done.". Upon hearing that, Jack walked out of the house, wondering he would break the news to Lucy.


Yet, Jack knew, deep in his heart, he had a duty to his family. Since young, he had been raised with the virtue of filial loyalty, his family, was his life. There was no question of eloping with Lucy.

But Jack was no irresponsible man either, he had broken the news to Lucy. She understood, she always knew it was going to end. This was no arcanum with his background. And now, they were on the brink of their relationship.

As the wind blew the cold rain into Lucy's cheeks, Jack slowly wiped them off. Even the rain would not spoil their last night together.

"Jack.." she started,
"mmmm?"
"Its time to let go.."
" I dont want to..."

"Jack?", she said again, ever so softly.
"My dear, please dont tell me let go.." He pleaded,
"Listen to me sweetheart.." she requested..
With his silence as consent, she continued,
"I really loved this time we had together, and it is my deepest regret that we have to part. But ... all i really want to say is..." , there, she choked on her words, unable to fight back the surge of tears threatening to spill from her beautiful eyes.

but finally, she managed the last two words : " thank you.. Jack"
"dont say that Lucy... im the one that should be thankful... you were like a light in the darkness of my entire being. You set me straight, gave me hope and showed me a world i never knew. "

With that, he held her in his arms and looked at those eyes that sparkled like diamonds. "I'll come back for you one day, i promise."
Hearing those words, Lucy allowed herself just that slight glimmer of hope, just a chance to savor romance awhile more. "I hope so too" was all she could say.

With that, they parted ways. Her, back to her town life. And him, to the fantasy world where he had arrived.

There was no last kiss, no last touch, no last glimpse of each other retreating backs. They both knew their duties, and it was their sense of responsibility that drew them together. And now, the very same thing drove them apart. Forever.
© Copyright 2008 TheWriter (shuaze at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1383079-2am