*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1383430-Clives-heart
by Dora
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1383430
Two brothers fall in love with one woman at different times...
Love does wonders to a person, without it the joy of life is gone. Tears of pain slowly ran down her cheeks like a stream. Lisa's life hadn't been so good and she found it hard to concentrate at work. It was raining outside and she felt like it was more of a storm than light showers. Though she had so much pain she wanted to loosen up and forget all her fears, what better way to do it than to attend Martha's party? It took a mixture of pride,prejudice,social status and public opinion to be invited to such an exclusive party. Her best friend, Archie, had requested her to go saying it would be boring without her. Lisa wondered what her parents would say if they knew what a socialite their daughter had become.She walked into her kitchen and took one quick look at her sink, the pile of dishes was home to a bunch of houseflies and her trash bin was stinking,she didn't even know which way her nostrils would face, to avoid the stench. She walked into the bathroom to take a quick shower, the dishes would have to wait.
George was the new man in her life, but something about him reminded her of Clive. At the age of twenty seven she was ready to settle down for marriage and George had to be her husband, but of late all she wanted to do was break up with him. Clive had been the perfect man in her life five years earlier, he was messed up though, he drank a lot and smoked most of the time but he was tender, funny, and she was addicted to him. They had talked so much about having a future together when she realized she was pregnant, the news was welcomed by her and Clive but her parents were so mad. They said they wouldn't accept him as their son in law and she had to complete her studies first and look for a better man. Clive was so happy that he would be a father and she stood by his side, but two weeks later he was out of her life without saying goodbye. The thought of raising a child on her own tore her apart. She was the talk of the campus and her parents barely looked at her. She tried confiding in her mom but all she could say was "you are a disgrace to this family, Lisa."She looked for Clive and even asked his boss if he had been to work but all she was told was that he had gone abroad to visit his family and would be back soon. Three weeks later and Clive was still missing in action, her parents forced her to abort their baby when she was a month into the preganncy,she never recovered from that. Now she was working in a law firm and earned good money, but swore never to forgive her parents. She hadn't been home in five years and still saw no reason to. The engagement ring that Clive gave her was still on her finger and now as she was dating George all she could think of was Clive. He walked like him, toyed with his glass brim like Clive and even made the funny remarks that Clive did. George was an assistant manager at a phone company, he was funny, handsome and knew what to say to make her smile. He was nothing like Clive in leisure behaviors, he hated smoking and didn't drink alcohol. He was a very good dancer though and loved going out on Friday nights.She had been avoiding him for a month now and as she walked into Martha's house she felt elated. The house was packed and Martha wore less to reveal her flesh. Archie was busy shaking on the dance floor like a free spirit. She walked to the mini bar and asked for a drink,"scotch please." She felt sexy and had the sudden urge to get up and dance when someone grabbed her from behind, the musky cologne was more like George's.
"Hey, babe we need to talk."
"Not now George, it's party and I came to have some fun."
"Sorry but I have to crash the party, we need to talk right now."
He pulled her outside and walked outside to the lit garden, he had bought an engagement ring, that she would love and had planned to propose after knowing why she had been on edge lately. "What do you want from me George, didn't I ask you for some space?"
"Lisa, what is wrong with you? Did I say or do something to push you away? Look, I love you Lisa and it hurts to be mistreated without reason.Is this about your ex-boyfriend, Clive? Archie told me..."
"Oh, so now you want to know about my past? Clive was going to be a father and he walked out on me without saying goodbye, I was forced by my parents to get rid of my...our baby and you still want to know some more, well if you want us to work you had better stop acting like Clive Kiami, he is my past and has to stay there."
George felt cold when he heard her mention Clive's full name, it couldn't be, or was it? The last email he got from his long lost brother said he was getting married to the woman who occupied her heart. But he had to come home five years ago to attend his funeral. They were adopted by different families and Clive had died of drug addiction, did she even know about that? George blamed his parents for giving them up, his brother would have never died, and he would have told Lisa about his past too. He felt cold but Lisa kept on yelling, venting out her anger, with tears of bitterness running down her cheeks. He turned and looked at her one more time.
"No, you are right, I am sorry... Lisa..."
He walked away praying that his conscience wouldn't make him look back to that moment. He had to forget about her, maybe they were not so different after all, Lisa was Clive's heart!
© Copyright 2008 Dora (martty at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1383430-Clives-heart