*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1383650-The-Glamorization-of-War
by Amena
Rated: E · Essay · Other · #1383650
The sick hidden events of war. It's here for you to find out what really happens
The Glamorization of War

         While this is a piece of fiction, Hosseini accurately portrays what is currently happening over seas. Physical and sexual abuse is common in Middle Eastern countries. The selling and trading of children takes place between cults in war torn countries. Not only does the selling and trading of children take place, but as well as verbally and sexually abusing the child is another frightful and sickening act that occurs after the child is brought home. They way women are treated in western society is very protective. There are many women help centers, and women abuse is taken care of, once discovered. However, in a war torn country in the Middle East, they are treated and handled aggressively as if they were men. They get rapped, easily shot, and handled with aggression. Rape among soldiers is common. People are convinced rape scenes read in war-based books or seen in films are fictional. Soldiers on television or media are thought out to be heroic brave men doing performing their duties. Off cameras in a war torn country within the hidden streets they abuse their power and perform sick acts whenever they get the chance. They use their power to enforce unrealistic rules, resulting in bodily harm. Everyone has a different thought on war and the events that take place. People only wonder what goes on over seas, however they are not sure of the every day events. War torn countries viewed on the news, or films are tragic, disastrous events. At the same time, war is portrayed in an entertaining and glamorized way, and this appeals to the viewers. The special effects in movies and shows ruins the truth and reality behind war zones. People are attracted to Hosseini’s The Kite Runner because it glamorizes child abuse, women abuse, and shows the truth to how soldiers brutally abuse their power as higher authority.
When it comes to war, homes being destroyed and bombs falling are not the only mechanical destruction that takes place. Children’s dreams and emotions are being destroyed as well. People of higher power and money will buy children and do as they please to them. In particular, children who come from a family of lower status or opposing sides are easier victims. Orphaned children may be bought and used for personal pleasure, consequently leading to many violent acts performed on the child. In the Kite runner the owner of the orphanage tells the reader about another character named Assef:
“He visits once every month or two. He brings cash with him, not a lot, but better then nothing at all” (Hosseini 268) Seeing as to how these men have money and power over people, they may purchase children no questions asked.
If the owner argues with Assef, Assef will take ten children (Hosseini 270)
With this in mind taking one child is better than ten. For children’s sake no arguments arise when a soldier requests a child because the consequence is much greater. Granted that these men have money and power, nothing anyone says or does can stop these men from buying children. 
         When it comes to emotionally or shamelessly abusing a child, it is easily done without a word. If a child or adult were to speak up during these incidents, it may cost them their lives. People don’t have a say in any of the abuse taking place, for this is war and power they are dealing with. When it comes to a child that has been bought, he or she may not speak unless directed to, or the owner may physically harm the child. Children are helpless and do as they are told. The soldiers may even put make up on the child regardless of their sex.
Sohrab’s “head was shaved, his eyes darkened with mascara, and his cheeks glowed with an unnatural red” (Hosseini 293)
Soldiers even toy with the children, and make them do embarrassing degrading things the child would not want to do. Thing like dancing, wearing opposite gender clothing. And doing things to please the soldiers:
         One of the guards pressed a button and pashtu music filled the room.[…] Sohrab raised his arms and turned slowly. He stood on tiptoes, spun gracefully, dipped to his knees, straightened, and spun again. […] Sohrab danced in a circle, eyes closed, danced until the music stopped. (Hosseini 293)

Emotional abuse is common when children are bought. They are to do as they are told or they will be in danger. Humiliation and forcing the child to do embarrassing acts is surely normal. Furthermore, they find no pity in their shameful cold-hearted acts. These soldiers find it normal to act in such a manor giving it is a war situation. It is found to be amusing and shameless, however these children are emotionally scarred for life.
         Sexual abuse amongst children is common during war. The soldier may capture of buy a female woman for personal pleasure, but often do not. They buy or rape children because they are defenseless; the children do not have a say in what is done, and must take everything. In The Kite Runner, Sohrab is a young boy. Assef has taken him and as a slave must endure a significant amount of abuse. In Public Assef’s “hands slid down the child’s back then up, felt under his armpits” (Hosseini 294) At one point the man’s “hand slid up and down the boys belly, up and down gently.” (Hosseini 294) then proceeded to kiss “the side of Sohrab’s neck. The boy flinched a little and closed his eyes again” (Hosseini 295) these are just small gestures towards the child in front of a guest. It is not hard to imagine what goes on behind closed doors. These poor children are helpless and ashamed. At no point do they have a say in the injustices forced upon them. Their actions are ongoing until they throw the child out or kill them.
         Child abuse is not the only crime taking place during times of war. Women abuse also happens in front of everyone’s eyes. You would think a woman would still be handled and treated with respect during these times, however, this is not the case. In Hosseini’s the kite runner a Russian soldier was asked, “Where his shame is?” (Hosseini 121) the soldier felt no shame for he said, “this is war, there is no shame in war.” (Hosseini 122) this was asked during a car inspection. Cars get inspected at checkpoints while traveling from one city to another. Checkpoint soldiers abuse their power and use to perform sick acts upon women and children. While having their vehicle inspected a Russian soldier said “he wanted a half hour with the lady in the back of the truck.” (Hosseini 121) he said this while the lady was innocently rocking her child in her lap, and her husband sat beside her. “The young woman pulled the shawl down over her face. Burst into tears.” This is one small unjust act performed upon a woman in this time of war. This shows you how they have no power. This soldier asked for a half hour with the woman while her husband sat beside her. If her husband could not speak up, neither can the woman, for if they do they may lose their lives.
         When these injustices are performed on women, no one has to pay for their actions. Everything goes unsaid and unresolved. If anyone were to speak out, it could also mean his or her life. The horrific crimes performed towards women are never shown in the media, nor is it said because it’s allowed in the war cities. Even if a women were so much as punched by her husband, if reported or discovered hell breaks loose to protect this woman in western society. This isn’t the case for women in Middle Eastern countries caught in war. If a man gets killed and the woman so much as screams or cries, she will get killed as well. “Farzana came screaming and attacked them- […] shot her too. Self-defense they claimed later-“ (Hosseini 231) this isn’t the full story, but whatever the soldier says go, and they take his word despite his unknown dishonesty. Self-defense is what they claimed, and this murder goes unsaid. This lady got shot for grieving about her husbands murder by these soldiers. Her only son is now orphaned and on the streets.
         If a female does anything to displease a soldier, they will not kill her and leave it at that. They will display an unjust murder to an audience. Even though their crime is truly wrong and should not be done, they use smart cover up excuses. They will say things like the woman shall be punished, for its gods will. “God says that every sinner must be punished in a manner befitting his sin” (Hosseini 283) however no where in the religion does it say man may take matters into his own hands, for the judging is left to Allah (god). The soldiers here took an innocent woman’s personal life into their own hands. They handled her with aggression and in front of every one:
The woman’s knees buckled under her and she slumped to the ground. The soldiers pulled her up and she slumped again. When they tried to lift her again, she screamed and kicked. (Hosseini 282)
They stoned her during a half time game in front of a live audience. They wanted everyone to see what happens when you break rules in the religion. Despite the fact she didn’t break any rules, the Talibs always have their own interpretation of rules.
         With war there are certain limitations and violations that need to be kept in mind. War does not mean ciaos can break lose. There are still boarders and rules for a war like situation. In the movies war does not seem that bad. Its glamorized to the point where viewers think war is an okay situation to be in. As if war can be avoided depending where you are, and how you handle it. The real world of war means being in the streets and even in your own home is not safe. Violations are broken each day, and innocent lives are lost in a brutal way. When it comes to war soldiers take matter into their own hands, and do as they please. They will kill and make up lies as to why they killed a person. Of course they will always win, because no one would dare speak up against the soldiers. They think because it is a war taking place they may neglect humans and abuse their power. Until Amir’s father yelled “war doesn’t negate decency. It demands it, even more than in times of peace.” When a soldier demanded a woman for a half hour for pleasure, Amir’s father spoke up once again. He told the soldier we “paid a fair price already” (Hosseini 121) the soldier taking matters into his own hands added, “every price has a tax” (Hosseini 121) the soldiers bend rules and break violations to best suit themselves. The fact they carry a gun helps them get their way, without a word jolted back at them. Amir’s father would be the first to speak up to him. This might cost him because the translator for the soldier said “he’ll enjoy putting a bullet in you almost as much as..”  Before this young soldier can finish, the captain came and explained the soldier was on drugs. Notice the soldier said he would “enjoy putting a bullet…” the soldier gladly says “enjoy” as if it is fun to take human life, without any feeling afterward. He says it as if it’s a video game.
         Soldiers roam the streets looking for reasons to kill, attack or harass innocent people. They will find very little unreasonable arguments and attack when they feel its necessary. Again, they take religion into their own hands as if they are playing the roll of god in this war situation. In the religion, harming, killing or abusing women is against the religion. Especially if it’s a male mishandling a female for no proper reason. In the religion it does say a woman shouldn’t yell, and she should keep her voice at a reasonable level. However, nowhere does it say if a male hears a woman’s voice too loud, he may harm her, or touch her. Once again this soldier took matters into his own hands. Hassan’s wife Farzana asked a question to a vendor, and he had a deaf ear: (Hosseini 228)
So she asked louder and suddenly a young Talib ran over and hit her in her thighs with his wooden stick. He struck her so hard she fell down. He was screaming at her and cursing and saying the ministry of vice and virtue does not allow women to speak loudly. (Hosseini 228)
These events are not seen on television, for people would never imagine a woman being hit for such a small thing. These small events are incidents they don’t show in the films and media for viewers to see. This is because they show the easy side of war, an over view, not what happens deep within the streets.
         The soldiers also patrol soccer games and sports that take place. Surprisingly sports are allowed to take place with new rules made by the soldier’s of course. The soccer players must not wear short because they claim its “indecent exposure” (Hosseini 209) and you cannot cheer out loud, this applies to men as well. These soldiers look for the smallest reason to harm a person, as if it’s fun watching humans bleed. When Rahim Khan cheered for a goal a soldier struck him in the head with the butt of his Kalashnikov. (Hosseini 209) the boy looking 18 years of age then concluded to say, “do that again and I’ll cut out your tongue, you old donkey!” (Hosseini 209) for what reason, just for cheering during a game. None of these disgusting actions are shown on television or the media. These citizens are prisoners in their own land, and no one says anything. Even when walking on their own streets they must look down when seeing a soldier. No eye contact other wise you may get killed or beaten. Luckily someone advised Amir when he accidentally stared at a truck passing by filled with soldiers. “Don’t ever stare at them! Do you understand me? Never!” the fear in Farid’s voice was a grave warning, as if the result and consequences are very grave. They also abuse their power when it comes to money. They may ask or demand money at checkpoints or even just traveling neighborhood to neighborhood. Rahim khan says “you practically needed a visa to go from one neighborhood to the other. So people just stayed put, prayed the next rocket wouldn’t hit their home.” (Hosseini 210) sad thing is, even going to buy a carpet, the chances of you getting shot by a sniper or hit by a rocket was a high chance. (Hosseini 209) as you can see simple daily life activities can’t even take place. Every second these people are praying for their lives. Whether they are in their home, buying oranges, or watching a game. You are safe nowhere you go, for these people abuse their power and find reason as to why they kill.
         As you can see there is a lot of hidden truth in the media. Things that are found amusing in the films people watch aren’t the full truth and reality between the war torn streets. War does not look complicated in the films nor is it displayed in sorrow, for it is not the real war that’s being displayed. The injustices occur off cameras deep within the streets and homes of innocent civilians. Of course those images would not be shown on television for it would destroy the heroic image of the soldier. If the real image of the soldier were displayed in films, they would no longer be viewed as heroic, more like selfish sickening and cold hearted. Children in western society find soldiers to be a guard, means of protection. However, in a war torn Middle Eastern country children cry and run at the sight of soldier. This is because they know the true minds and actions of these men. The soldiers take children from orphanages, sexually, verbally, and emotionally abuse them because they have no sympathy for them. When the soldiers are not satisfied with the children, there are always married women with children to rape for a half hour as well. If they are not raping woman, they are shooting women for grieving over their husbands, and stoning women publicly for everyone to see. This is because there is no justice in his or her actions. They are just looking to make destruction and cause ciaos. If these soldiers can perform sick acts of violence on women, they will do anything. It only shows how cold hearted they are.  When it comes to taking pride in knowing they have power, they misuse too often. When questioned by higher authority for their action, anything they say will be accepted. For if a citizen were to speak, their lives would be lost as well. Soldiers’ not being pleased with the religion and taking things into their own hands is another thing they do, assuming it is their duty to play the role of god. When worst comes to worse, soldiers roam the streets finding reasons to attack citizens. This is because they can do it, and get away with it. This is precisely why people are attracted to Khaled Hosseini’s the kite runner. They see the real truth behind war. It glamorizes child abuse, women abuse, and shows the truth to how soldiers brutally abuse their power as higher authority. This sadly today appeals to people.





















Works Cited

Hosseini Khaled. The Kite Runner. Anchor Canada 2003




© Copyright 2008 Amena (writeitup at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1383650-The-Glamorization-of-War