*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1384156-The-Water-Pavilion
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Emotional · #1384156
Come to a place where harmful emotions can be healed.
I made my way up the mountainous terrain to the water pavilion; a beautiful and serene place that our people had come to for generations.  The pavilion was in the middle of a lake that had formed in the crater of an extinct volcano.  A mysterious place and no one knew how it had come to be there nor how the water did not stagnate as there was no way for the water to flow freely. 

In the very centre of the lake, stood the pavilion itself; accessible by a wooden pier that lead to it.  The pavilion was made of black lacquered wood delicately adorned with patterns of cherry blossoms and birds.  I walked along the pier, my kimono dragging slightly behind me along with my heart full of pain and self-loathing.  Once in the pavilion I can see the pure water all around me, always cool and blue, still and quiet with a glass life surface that reflected its surroundings. I know I cannot bathe here, not yet, as all of the poison dwelling inside me would rend its powers useless and it would spit me back out on the shore.

Falling to my knees the tears begin to flow freely, gently weeping at first until my sobbing grew to wrack my entire body.  Prostrate on the floor my hands gripping the edge of the pavilion so I can feel the water lapping at my fingertips, I cried like this until my eyes were swollen and red.

It was not enough; raising up to my knees I screamed all of my sadness, rage and despair out over the top of the water where it fell so it could bring harm to no one.  My throat felt raw and bloody from the effort and I sat there for a long time with my head bowed and hands on my thighs shaking with exhaustion, yet feeling purged and empty.

I raised up on unsteady legs surveying the calm waters.  Untieing the sashes that held my kimono in place I shed the robe and in a fluid movement dove from the pavilion into the now welcoming water.  As I went under the surface it enveloped every part of me, washing me clean and making me whole again.  I swam under water for a way and then kicked my legs to help bring me back to the surface, gasping for air as my head broke through.  Taking in the fresh air I realised all of the emotional weight I had been carrying was no longer with me. 

I made my way back to the pavilion and lifted myself out of the water and simply sat quietly feeling refreshed and at peace as the water slowly dried on my naked skin.  Once dry, I arose and carefully put my kimono back on adjusting and tying the sashes correctly so that it did not drag on the ground. 

With a soft smile on my face I left the pavilion and descended the mountain making my way back to my village.  On the way I passed a young man who's eyes full of grief and sorrow told me he too needed the healing and calm waters I had recently left.  I nodded my head in acknowledgement and continued on my way knowing he would soon find the solace and relief that I had.

WC:559

© Copyright 2008 Kimberley Bird (kimberleybird at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1384156-The-Water-Pavilion