*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1387606-My-Father-the-psychoteraphist
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Essay · Parenting · #1387606
My Father always believed and and taught us to work towards that end and work we did .
      My father had a very difficult childhood, having lost his mother at the age of three when he suffered from small pox. As small pox was a dreaded disease, he was left outside in the open on a banana leaf. They expected him to die due to  the vagaries of nature. But die he did not but lived to suffer at the hands of a step-mother, who was having difficulties bringing up five boys and a father who just sat doing nothing. An uncle took the task of his 'Upanayanam'(the thread ceremony) as a vow to beget a child as he was childless upto date. Believe it or not, he soon had seven  boys and two  girls,one after another. That 'kind deed'  made him indebted to the uncle till his dying day! At age sixteen,he ran away from home to join the Army and join he did.
        In 1945,he returned and started looking for a bride. Then, anybody who had ventured outside the village was taboo in the marriage market. Finally his family found the 'bride'. A very fair looking,thin girl,with long hair-a cousin on both his paternal side. To be exact she was the daughter of his uncle's wife's brother. A 19 year old,completely unaware of the worldly ways!  A very dark and handsome man,29 years old, a perfect foil to the wisp of the girl, the marriage was conducted in a way befitting 'the Army Man'. She travelled with him  all over South India as he moved from cantonment to cantonment and became the cultured and ambitious lady we remember as our mother who wanted her children to be educated in 'the English Medium and speak fluent English!  Papa then left the army and joined the Maharashtra Police Force. So there was the exact 'policing' on us four siblings that has helped us become what we are today!  Education was his primary concern and he was ready to spend any amount for our education as well as good healthy food which according to him was necessary for its always a healthy mind in a healthy body. So we,  two sisters became post-graduates in a Foreign  Language and Sociology whilst my two brothers ,Medical Graduates.  But the end line of his life was: 'Do everything your own way for your sake and do not expect any monetary benefit from me for your success in various exams. After all if you do well, it is for you. And if you do not do well, try again.'
© Copyright 2008 amanush (paisuman at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1387606-My-Father-the-psychoteraphist