*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1391194-The-Guide
Rated: 13+ · Other · Fantasy · #1391194
Is an all expense paid vacation too good to be true?

I opened the letter wondering what could be so important that the mailman would make me sign for it. After reading the official looking paper twice and examining the round trip airline ticket, I could only assume the all expense paid vacation to Chapleau, Canada was real. The documents said, "Ms. Yasmin Vala, you have won a six night seven day all expense paid vacation at The Wilderness Island resort."

Everything was set for me to leave on the 25th, which was this coming Friday. I called work and told my boss of my extraordinary wind fall. After making me promise to bring him back a souvenir, Mr. James okayed my vacation time.

I was so excited about winning a free trip to anywhere that I never once gave any thought to what raffle I had entered or that I had never actually heard Chapleau or The Wilderness Island resort before. It wasn’t until I was comfortably ensconced in my first class seat drinking a well made fruit cocktail that my excitement ebbed enough for me to question my win.

When did I enter a raffle? I am not the type to throw money away on frivolous gambles, so I can’t imagine doing so unless it was for a charity.
When was the last time I had entered any kind of event at a charity? As the drink took affect, I quit worrying about it. I would remember sometime in the future when the information was no longer relevant, I was sure.

The plane landed in Sault Ste Marie, Canada and I transferred to the train for the rest of my ride to The Wilderness Island resort. The brochure I picked up at the train station promised a spectacular view of the rugged country leading into my resort.

The brochure didn’t lie. The train glided through the beautiful northern country side between mountains and beside clear blue lakes for an hour. Building my expectations of enjoying the quiet splendor of the world’s largest wild life preserve-so the brochure said.

After traveling for almost a full day, I looked forward to arriving at my cabin on the lake and finding my bed. So, it was with eagerness that I sought out my promised guide to take me to my cabin.

Not seeing anyone matching the description of my guide, I quickly became anxious as the landing platform emptied of people. I reminded myself that nothing every goes completely smoothly as I gathered my bags together and struggled towards the ticket window.

Clearing my throat, I said, “Excuse me sir, I was told that a guide would pick me up and take me to The Wilderness Island resort located near here. He doesn’t appear to be here and I was wondering if you might know of someone I could contact to find out what I need to do now.”

The old man behind the window looked at me strange and said, “I don’t know what you are talking ‘bout gel. The resort ain’t open this time of year. It’s too early in the spring. Won’t be open for another month yet. Anyone telling ya otherwise is pulling yer leg.”

“But, but I have a ticket and paperwork here saying I have a reservation. See” I said showing him my reservation sheet.”

Nodding his head the man replied, “Yep. Looks like ya do, but that don’t change the fact the resort ain’t open yet. Tell ya what, you take a seat and I will call ya a cab. You can stop over to the Moose Horn Lodge and make a call from there.”

Frustrated and confused I did as I was bid. How could this be happening? Was it some kind of elaborate prank? If it was, I vowed to find out who did this to me and wring their neck.

I was so on edge that I nearly fell out of my seat when I man appeared and called my name. “Ms. Vala? Yasmin Vala?”

Jumping up I said, “That is me.” I began gathering my bags in a pile to wrangle to the cab I assumed he had waiting outside. “Are you my cab driver?”

“No M’am I am your guide, Harry Gallagher.” Gently inserting himself between me and my bags, he said, “here, let me get those.”

“You’re my guide, but the ticket man said that the resort wasn’t open this time of year,”

Harry chuckled then said, “Ole Merv gets a bit confused sometimes,” as he hefted my bags and began walking towards the exit.

As I started to follow him, the ticket man called, “Miss, aren’t ya going to wait fer yer cab.”

Pointing after Harry, I said, “No, my guide arrived.”

Merv gave me a strange look then shrugged. “If you say so miss.”

As I left the building I saw Harry placing my bags in the back of an old jeep. He smiled and beckoned me to join him. Behind him the Northern lights brighten the night sky taking my breath away.

Awed I climbed into the jeep and Harry drove us out of town. Shortly we turned off the main road and drove deeper into the wilderness. The night sky seemed to brighten the farther we drove.

Harry had driven for quite some time before I finally thought to ask how much further.

Harry said, “Not much miss and we will be at your destination.”

A few moments later Harry turned off of what was left of the road and drove into a clearing. My heart started to race as I began to fear that Harry was not my guide to the resort, but some kind of sereal killer.

“What are you doing,” I whispered. “Where are we?”

Harry turned off the car and said, “I am your guide, Yasmin. It is time for you to return home and I was sent here to help you find your way. Come.” He took my hand.

Word count 989






© Copyright 2008 Auntynae (renaeayron at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1391194-The-Guide