*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1392078-American-Soldiers-Judgement
Rated: E · Short Story · Death · #1392078
Spiritual Judgement of a warrior. American soldier's journey beyond.
    I walked in the mist of clouds, my direction sure and unwavering. Below stretched the world of flesh and pain, far removed from my ethereal presence. A warmth of familiarity drew me forward, enveloping my every essence, calling with benevolent allure. I was perfect in my existence, yet lacking of that which lay before me. The closer I came to my destination, the more I desired to complete the journey.
    "Hey Jimmeeee"! I heard someone call out to me. Turning I saw Jinx. For a moment I hesitated, then rushed toward my comrade in arms.
    Only moments ago we had been on the ground, bullets ricocheting from walls and whizzing overhead while we patrolled one of the more dismal districts along the South side of Baghdad.
    "Jinx, sorry dude, I tried to get to you", I said.
    "Hey man, no reason to beat a dead horse, and I'm pretty sure we're both stallions now", he replied, a big sly grin spreading over his lips.
    We turned and continued onward, both following the path that called to us.
The shifting haze we traversed parted before us soon to reveal the object of our passion, the ornately crafted golden gate of heaven.
    I knocked upon the brilliant bullion portal. A melodic chiming echoed through the space about us, summoning the keeper, a flawlessness of radiant levitating animation.
    "Welcome", he said, opening the entry and gesturing us within.
    "Wow", I heard Jinx whisper in awe, as we stepped onto the hallowed ground.
    Love surrounded me in depths I had never known in flesh. The misty vapors disappeared and I saw those family and friends that had shared my life, who had arrived before me.
    They greeted me with a loving embrace as a familial brother, tenderness and devotion in their warmth of recognition.
    Somehow though, with all this wondrous perfection engulfing me, I knew there was something askew.
    "Come with me", our guide spoke softly, leading us onward, through the radiant golden light that eminated from all directions.
    "Where are we going", I asked, "is this not heaven"?
    "Yes", our guide responded, "but this is not your place".
    Following obediently, Jinx and I saw the fascination of a thousand worlds wrapped into the fabric of beauty that we beheld.
    A staircase loomed before us soon, and continuing to follow, we ascended the rise reaching another plane of heavenly creation, more incredible than the one before.
Here we found more masses in this realm of the forgiven. Many were brothers and sisters of war, some that we were familiar with, greeting us as we had been before, by those we just left behind us.
    Though feeling more complete here, I still was sure that something wasn't quite right.
Jinx walked away from us then, never looking back, melting into the ranks of those spread out in this level of embodied completeness.
    "Come with me", my guide said again, this time taking me by the hand, and walking to another stairway not far off.
    Ascending this rise which spiraled ever upward, we drew near to the source of the radiant and warming light being cast about this spiritual Eden. Before my eyes, opened the window to Magnificence and Perfection. He came toward me, gliding in elegant harmony, as if riding upon the golden beams of light He cast before Him.
    My ghostly knees buckled at His approach, weighed down by the presence of His righteousness and everlasting graceful mercy.
    "Come, sit with us", He said, lowering His hand to take my own.
    Guardedly I reached to comply, my eyes downcast, unable to look upon His face,
believing that to do so would only pollute His powerful brilliance.
    "Why do you look so troubled my son", He asked, knowing the answer before the question.
    "Why me Lord, I am unworthy to sit before thee, my life was filled with unrighteousness".
    "You know why", He said, leading me among those gathered at His feet.
    My thoughts swirled in an array of meanings, not able to see what He alluded too.
    "Tell Me", He said, "how you came to be here".
    "I was out on patrol with my squad", I began, "when we were ambushed by the ones we fought. I saw my Sargent get hit in the leg by gunfire and he went down.
Jinx, that is, Glenn, went to help him, and I tried to provide cover fire for them. Then a
young boy came around the wall we were taking cover behind. He was so scared when he saw us, that he froze there, screaming and crying as the bullets sprayed about us.
I tried to call him over but he wouldn't budge. It was then that I saw Glenn hit, as he helped the Sargent into more secure cover. I started to go and help him but changed my mind, grabbing the child and carrying him away from the ambush. The next thing I felt was a terrible burning in the back of my neck, then I was here".
    "Lord I failed my friend, how could you bring me before you", I asked, the weight of my own words accentuating the unrighteousness I felt.
    "Did I not tell You", He replied, "That no man hath greater love, than he lay down his own life for a friend".
    "Yes Lord, That is what I mean, I failed my friend, what right do I have to sit before you"?
    His merciful face twisted into a grin, and His eyes reflected that of a Father, trying not to laugh as he attempted to explain the obvious to a small child.
    "Did you wish to save your friend", He asked?
    "Yes Lord", I replied.
    "Then you acted according to MY words", He said, "because not only did you have the greater love, to lay down your life for your friend, you were capable of the greatest love, that you would lay down your life for a stranger".
I sat before him humble and complete, praising his everlasting wisdom.


A tribute to our American Military.

    I know that if God is merciful enough to allow me into his righteous heavenly kingdom, that I shall not see any member of the American Military there,
lest I look up.
© Copyright 2008 cvaughnb (cvaughnb at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1392078-American-Soldiers-Judgement