*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1393629-Coincidence-or-Fate
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1393629
a story about love, misunderstandings and mistaken identities...
Coincidence or Fate?

Word Count: 2,421 words

         "Graziella, it's me, Monique. You haven't been answering my calls lately... Are you okay? I'm really worried. Please call back."

         Graziella stared at the answering machine, immobilized, as her tears continued to fall. Who would have thought things would happen like this... Two months ago, she told Monique about a guy named Chris, that she has fallen in love with. However, she wasn't able to introduce the two to each other because of their works' overlapping schedules.

         Graziella didn't remember much about her childhood due to a car accident she and her father were involved in. She suffered from a head trauma, and the pain of her father's death. So, when Chris appeared at her doorstep for the first time after so many years, she didn't know what to do. She couldn't remember who he was. Even though she received a call from her mom about his arrival, the nerves still got to her.

         He told her about the things he did while he was staying in the US. They spent a lot of their free time together, went on friendly dates, and called each other regularly. It wasn't long before she found herself falling in love with him. It felt as if she had always carried such special feelings for him in her heart. Perhaps, it even started as something silly as puppy love. Now, her biggest dilemma...

         A month ago, Monique went to New York to see her sick aunt and it was a coincidence that Chris needed to go back to the US as well. Chris' family lived in California, so of course she thought that's where he was going. But just a week ago, Monique started talking about a Chris Montenegro that she met in New York. Her best friend said they were dating and she seemed to be falling for him... It couldn't possibly be another coincidence that Monique was dating a guy with the same name as the guy she was in love with! So, she called Chris to ask where he was in the US... And she found out that he was in New York to take care of something.

         'They're dating... My best friend is dating the guy I'm in love with... But it's not her fault. She didn't know that the Chris I was talking about is the same Chris she's talking about now.' Graziella thought and pitied herself.

         "Graziella? Are you okay? You haven't been answering my calls and e-mails lately... I miss you. I wish you'd tell me if there's something wrong... Well, take care of yourself. Bye."

         She cried even harder, hearing his voice. It was evident he worried about her. But that was probably because she was like a little sister to him. And she was hurting inside. Still, she knew she needed to stand up again and at least try to forget him...

         "I'm going to move on. I need to move on." She said, drying her tears as she made up her firm decision.

--------


Three months later...

         Graziella stood amidst the sea of people in the airport to fetch her best friend. She finally moved on... or so she thinks. But she promised herself she wouldn't get in the way of her best friend's love life... Even if it meant she'll be the one hurting.

         Monique seemed very excited over the phone when they were talking. Graziella asked her what she was happy about but she said it's better if they talked about it in person. And here she was, walking towards her. Graziella smiled, she missed Monique very much.

         "Grazie! How are you?" Monique said and hugged her tight.

         "I'm fine, Niq. How about you?"

         "Well, I'm very happy! I think I'm the happiest woman in the world!" she squealed in delight and raised her left hand to show her friend... A ring, an engagement ring...

         Graziella felt as if a part of her just died that instant; her throat dry, stomach tied into knots and tears threatening to fall anytime. It was obvious to whom Monique was engaged to. She promised herself she wouldn't cry anymore. And she promised never to open up the fact that she has feelings for Chris again. But right now, as her best friend was the happiest woman in the world, she felt like the most pathetic person. Still, she smiled... The smile she practiced, if ever this kind of situation happens. Although it was a shock, since she never expected it to happen this soon.

         "Congratulations, Niq!"

         "Let's talk about the details on the way home. And Grazie, you're definitely my maid of honor, okay?"

         "Okay..."

---------


         "Niq, why so soon? I mean, sure you love each other, but you've only known each other for more than three months... And aren't the wedding preparations too rushed? Seriously, two weeks of preparations? Will that really be enough?" Graziella asked.

         "Grazie... I love him so much. Don't worry about the preparations 'cause when we were in New York, we already contacted mom and dad to deal with most of the preparations for the wedding. And there's no guarantee he'll be here for long. So I want to be his wife right away."

         "What do you mean by that?"

         "Grazie, Chris has a heart problem. And the doctor said the only way for him to live is if they can find a compatible heart donor for him in time. His brother said they've been looking for a heart since three years ago when the heart ailment wasn't that severe yet and they still couldn't find a match. Even if they do, the risks are too high and his body might not accept the heart..." Monique explained and her tears started falling.

         "I'm sorry..." Graziella said and hugged her best friend. Her heart was breaking for her, for him... She didn't even know about Chris' heart ailment and even his brother. She had known him for so long but he never talked about his family that much. Maybe he thought she knew since they were childhood friends. But her stupid brain couldn't recall anything about her childhood so it was useless.

         Monique composed herself and wiped away her tears. She gave Graziella a small smile and said... "By the way, his brother's hot too! I think you'd be perfect for each other. And he's also the best man."

         Graziella smiled but it didn't reach her eyes. "Then perhaps, we can give it a try." She said. Even though she didn't really think she could replace Chris in her heart...

--------


         "Monique and Chris are going to be married in a matter of days... And I'm just here, grieving on my own." she said to herself and gave out a shallow laugh.

         "At least, I'll still have the memories I had with him." she whispered, smiling bitterly, as her mind drifted off to the memories of their times together...

********


         "Ella, it's been a long time since we saw each other. I hope you still remember me." he said, hope in his voice.

         She gave him a smile. "Of course, I remember you!"

         But in her mind, 'I can't really remember him myself but mom told me he is a childhood friend of mine named Chris...'


         "Are you free this Saturday? Let's go watch a movie together." he asked her.

         'Is he asking me out on a date?'

         "Sure, we can talk about a lot of things too!" she replied, trying her best not to sound too eager.


         "Aaaahh!!!" she screamed along with most of the people inside the movie house.

         Chris held her hand and squeezed it. "Don't worry, if things like that exist, I'll protect you." he said with a reassuring smile on his face.


         "This is so beautiful..." she said, staring at the mountain view of the sunset.

         "Yeah... Breathtaking..." she heard him say. As she turned to him, she saw him looking at her and not at the view...


         "I think my room needs re-organizing. Can you help me?" she asked him, one Sunday morning when she was feeling bored and the idea just popped into her head.

         "Sure. Let's buy some paint and design your bedroom walls. I'm good at stuff like that." he told her.


         "You may not remember this, but when we were kids there was this one time when another friend of ours suddenly asked you to marry him. He was about to kiss you even before you could answer, then you suddenly punch the lights out of him." Chris said, as they lay on the grass, watching the stars come out one by one.

         "Really? I don't remember that but I bet it had been hilarious!"


         "Ella, I'm leaving tomorrow... There's been a family emergency and I need to go back right away." Chris announced the sad news to her.

         Graziella felt her heart constrict in pain because of what he said. She gave him a fake smile and tried not to cry. "What time are you leaving? I'll see you off then..." she said, trying her best but her voice cracked in the end.

         He held her tightly in his arms, as her suppressed tears flowed out of her eyes like a waterfall. "Ssshh, don't cry, Ella. Just remember this, even if you can't be the reason for me to stay... You're definitely my reason to come back." he said, looking at her tear-stricken face and kissed her gently on the forehead...


         "I guess this is goodbye..." she said, sadness spilling in her voice.

         "Come on, Ella. Give me at least your smile to carry with me before I go. I promise to come back for you."

         She smiled. It wasn't a totally happy smile but it wasn't that sad anymore because he promised... After seeing her cheer up a bit, he just mouthed the words goodbye to make it less painful. Then he turned his back on her and walked away...


         "I'll wait for you..." she whispered in her sleep...


********


--------


         "Monique, when will you introduce me to the groom and the best man anyway?" Graziella asked. She already knew that Chris is the groom but she had to pretend she doesn't.

         "Hmm, I want it to be a surprise so... You'll meet them only at the wedding." Monique replied.

         "But how about the wedding rehearsals?"

         "The best man has been to weddings so many times before so he doesn't need to attend anymore. He knows what to do. And my groom... he's in the hospital right now. Ever since he came back here he's been weak again because of the exhausting trip." Monique answered sadly.

         "I guess it can't be help then. I was even very excited in seeing the brother." Graziella said, pouting and acting like a child not given her candy.

         "Oh c'mon Grazie, two days from now you'll see him. Don't worry."

--------


The wedding day...

         'They're getting married today...' Graziella thought, as she fought back the tears threatening to fall.

         "Stupid. I can't cry. The make-up will be ruined..." she said to herself aloud.

         Just then, the door opened. She thought it was Monique and she started blabbering about how she wanted to meet the groom and the best man.

         "Are you sure the best man is handsome, Monique? Do you really think we'd be perfect for each other? Because I'm not so su---" she was saying but stopped when she turned around and saw the face of the man she loved, grinning at her.

         "Christian..." she whispered and the tears she was holding back flowed freely down her cheeks. His teasing expression changed into an alarmed one and he hurriedly went to her side. He hugged her and tried to comfort her.

         'He's here. I'm so stupid... Mistaking him for Monique and talking like a fool. And why can't I just hold back the tears?' she was thinking as she clutched the front of his tuxedo tighter.

         "I'm sorry about that..." she said after calming down, as she freed herself from his hug. And she started fixing her make-up.

         "Are you okay now, Ella?" he asked.

         "Yeah, I just remembered something..."

         "Well, I know you're surprised to see me here. I'm so happy today."

         'I'm not really surprised to see you... I knew you were the groom anyway...'

         "I'm happy because aside from the wedding, I think we finally found a compatible heart for Chris."

         'What? Did he just say... for Chris? But he's Chris...'

         "I can't believe this world is really small. I mean, your best friend falling in love with my dearest twin brother? Wow! I wonder if it's coincidence or fate... What do you think, Ella?"

         "Wait! Twin brother? You have a twin named Chris?!"

         "Yes, don't you remember? Christopher, you and me... The three of us used to play a lot when we were kids."

         "I... I... I don't really remember anything in my childhood. I guess, I blocked all the memories ever since dad died..."

         "I'm sorry... You were very close to your dad. Sorry for making you remember that. And I guess that's the reason why when I came back you seemed quite aloof at first."

         "Yeah. So... Your brother's the groom... What's your role then?"

         "Well, as you were saying a while ago... Here I am, the handsome and perfect for you, best man." He said and smirked at her.

         "Ahm... Well..." she was struggling to find the right words to say. Her heart was very happy knowing he wasn't going to marry her best friend.

         "By the way, you look very beautiful in that gown." He whispered in her ear and gave her a quick kiss on the cheek.

         They went out of the room together, walking hand in hand towards the church. Not all the words were spoken but their hearts didn't need them to communicate. Their exchanged glances, the knowing smiles and secret clasping of hands during the whole wedding ceremony were enough to convey their emotions.

         The bouquet was thrown and Graziella caught it without even trying.

         "I guess this means, you're next. I'm happy for you, Grazie. I love happy endings like this." Monique said and hugged her.

         "No, Monique. This is not a happy ending... It's just a sweet beginning." She replied.

         Across the room, her eyes and his locked in a loving gaze. He walked towards her and she to him. With a smile, he mouthed the words 'I love you' and granted her first kiss...

         'The course of true love never did run smooth, according to Shakespeare. He sure is right! But I'm just glad we still ended up together...'
© Copyright 2008 mARi☠StressedAtWork (iamwhoiam at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1393629-Coincidence-or-Fate