*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1395719-Scholarly-Writing-Assignment
by mbc
Rated: E · Other · Other · #1395719
not important
Scholarly Writing Assignment

Melissa Carroll

Northern Arizona University

ETC 567

February 17, 2008
Abstract

         Technology is an important aspect in the area of learning. It is ever growing and changing to meet the needs of students, to enhance their learning. It is important for us, as a society, to understand the past, and be able to use it in our future to integrate technology more effectively.

Foundations of Technology
         Technology did not start with the first computer, but instead it can be traced back as far as we can imagine. The first major technologies were relating to survival and hunting. Higher technologies can be traced back to the nineteenth century where steam boats, steam engines, telegraphy and machine tools came about. Shortly after, in the 20th Century, telephones, fax machines, computers, projectors, and all sorts of new technologies had formed. According to Murray, “broadcast radio and video shaped the 20th Century” (1995). It took all of these technologies to be made in order for us to be able to do what we do with technology today.

Technology in Education
Society of today relies on Technology; therefore it is a very important aspect of our lives.  In the 1970’s and 1980’s various forms of computer-based instruction came about, teleconferencing in the 1990’s and we have used Distance Education since the 1970’s. In the past they compared the emergence of television as a new medium of instruction with traditional classroom instruction, and now it is important for us to make these comparisons to determine the relative value of innovation and effectiveness of these technologies when used in education (Bernard, 2004).
Technology is forever changing, and we as a society, are constantly chasing the newest technology and are always just a step behind. It is important for us to study the past in order to better understand what it happening in the present (Davis, 2006). According to Henrietta Shirk, “The past can frequently inform the present—it can tell us where we have been, and it can provide information upon which to make decisions about where we might go in the future. It can also give us a clearer understanding of the present (how it came to be what it is (Shirk, 2000, p. 1)
Technology has a positive effect on classroom instruction. It allows the students a gateway to information that they cannot easily access without a computer. The computer is their gateway to knowledge, research, and communication with their peers that all can help enhance their understanding of materials being taught, and allow them to take control of their own learning. “One of the major downsides to incorporating technology into one’s classroom remains the time issue” (DenBeste, 2003, p. 501). Classes are only given a short amount of time to do each subject each day, and it does not leave extra time for learning about technology. It also does not leave time for trying to integrate much technology, at least not hands-on technology into your class times. It is possible to use technology in a short one hour or less class period, but it is more difficult to have the children learn how to use it on their own in most subjects in that short amount of time.

Social Networking
Social Networking Services are “primarily web based and provide a collection of various ways for users to interact, such as chat, messaging, email, video, voice chat, file sharing, blogging, discussion groups, and so on” (Wikipedia, 2008). The main service that comes to mind when you think about social networking is MySpace. MySpace is a website that allows you and your friends to communicate, share pictures and videos, share information with others, make new friends, and so much more. Many teenagers spend a vast amount of time on MySpace searching for friends, viewing other peoples profiles, listening to music, watching videos, talking via IM, blogging, reading or watching the news, and so much more.
There are also many other social networking sites. One of the other most popular ones would most likely be FaceBook. This site has many of the same features of MySpace, and more. It has virtually the same purpose, but it was not initially open to everyone. In its beginning, you had to be part of a college or university and use an e-mail address that verified that in order to sign up. It is now open to everyone over 13 years old.
There are many positive aspects of social networking. It gives people an outlet to express themselves, that they may not have originally had access to before. You can find long lost friends, meet new ones, meet people who have similar interests, find new bands to listen to, watch videos of just about anything, and most of all, you can talk to and communicate with your current friends and anyone in your own personal network.
There are also negatives to social networking. In the past, there have been instances where stalking has occurred and people have been severely injured or killed. When we see Myspace in the news, and often times it is about how someone is being stalked. (Brand, 2007) This, although it sounds horrible, has a positive side. It has taught us all that we must be more careful about what we post on the Internet. We must be aware of what information is safe to disclose, and what is not. Because of past events such as this, it is essential that parents whom allow their children to access sites such as this inform them of what they can and cannot share and monitor it carefully (Moss-Coanne, 2006).

Conclusion
         Technology has been a part of human lives since before many of us can imagine. It started with something as simple as a wheel and has evolved into so much more. Now, going places is becoming non-essential and most things can be done from the privacy of your own home. Schools use technology to enhance the learning of students and help them learn to think more critically. The Internet is becoming an outlet for self expression, communication, shopping, and everything that would have never been imagined 50 years ago.

References
Bernard, R. M., Abrami, P. C., Lou, Y., Wade, A., Wozney, L., Fiset, M., et al. (2004). How Does Distance Education Compare With Classroom Instruction? A Meta-Analysis of the Empiracal Literature. Review of Educational Research, 74(3), 379.
Davis, Tony (2006). Catching the Technology Wave: A Historical Analysis of the Technological Context of the Technical Communication. Orange Journal. 4(1). Retrieved February 15, 2008 From: http://orange.eserver.org/issues/4-1/davis.html
DenBeste, M. (2003). Power point, technology and the web: More than just an overhead projector for the new century? History Teacher, 36(4), 491-504.
Moss-Coane, Marty (2006).  Online Social Lives of Teens. Podcast [Online]. Available from: http://podcastdownload.npr.org/anon.npr-podcasts/podcast/433/510027/5704148/WHYY... (Accessed 13 February 2008 12:14:07)
Murray, Bruce (1995).  Society, cyberspace and the future.  Retrieved on February 13, 2007 from http://www.cco.caltech.edu/~rich/aspen.html.
Shirk, Henrietta N. (2000) “Researching the History of Technical Communication: Accessing and Analyzing Corporate Archives.” STC Proceedings 2000. Retrieved February 16, 2008 From: www.stc.org/confproceed/2000/PDFs/00079.PDF
Brand, Gary. (2007) Web 2.0 and Social Networking (2007). Podcast [Online]. Available from : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYjczhygPPQ (Accessed 10 February 2008 MST 15:07:32).
Wikipedia (2008). Social Network Service. Retrieved on February 16, 2008 From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_networking


© Copyright 2008 mbc (mbc0220 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1395719-Scholarly-Writing-Assignment