*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1395944-Snow-Steps
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Emotional · #1395944
This is a story of a young boy who's seen to many bad thing in his short years.
  Fear and death, those powerful words that shake the grown below his feet as he watch others die, now striked on the poor tortured mind of young Oliver. On his seven short years, he has learned that the only thing that he could always go back to, was to the arms of his mother. Sadly he looks at the four walls that imprisoned him on his cell, ''All that I was looking for... ended up leading me to my destruction" he though with a tear coming out of his eyes. He had been in that awful place for over a week now and still he couldn't find a way to get out of that place, his family didn't knew where he was or when was he going back home, all they knew was that he wanted to find some important items that his father left behind right after the explotion of the plain that he was traveling in, ''He survived that explotion... why couldn't he make it back home?'' he tought "it's the same thing that's going to happen to me". As the hours past silently on his cell, the memories of all the things he had seen during his short life flashed throug his eyes like a fast fowared movie; at that moment he remembered all the good times he spent with his parents and his brothers, the endles nights he cried right after his father's death and the his grandfather's, and everything else. However suddently he remember the day that he decided to leave his home to find his father's missing items...

  It was a cold evening of December. Everyone on the house was asleep, except for him. He was feeling sick, but didn't wanted his mother to know. Right at that moment he remembered that his father mentioned some important items that he needed to finnish his investigation. Carefully he got out of the bed and walked outside of the house. Snow had covered all the entrance and the rest of the street, for what he saw it was still snowing; at that moment he realized that he wasn't quite alone. He look behind him and for his comfort he only saw a big dalmation behind him; after that he went outside, but it was then when he remembered that he didn't put any shoes on or anyother winter clothing. Feeling cold, he turned to look back, but then he saw his footprints in the snow; for a moment he was very interested in the way they looked, but then he remembered somthing that his father told him a few weeks before he died " 'Sometimes we forget what is important for us, and sadly, we don't notice it until we lose it' " he said " 'Remember son, when you're in doudt you can always look back at the steps that you had taken' ". "Dad, needed to find something to finnish his job... maybe I can find them for him" Oliver thought. He stand there for a while, until he decided to go out there and find what his father was missing... But it was now, that he was in this big problem that he realized what his father was trully missing: Self-confidence. With the tears comimng out of his eyes he looked at the door and then he closed his eyes awaiting for his finnal fate...

                                                            ...

  Three weeks later, he woke up in a hospital bed feeling that life was leaving him behind. The police found him lying oncontious on a river, bleeding to death; for a minute they thought that he was dead, but for their surprise he was alive. However the doctors dind't have much faith that he would live any longer, because he lost to much blood and he was severly ill from an unknown virus. His mother was with him always; she never slept with the fear that if she did, she would wake up to find that her son was dead. One day he opened his eyes slowly and looked at his tired and scared mother; exhausted he grabed her hand and in almost a whisper he said, "Mom, I'm sorry... I didn't make any good difference for any of us" he said with tears in his eyes.
    "It's okay, honey, it doesn't matter now" she said crying "All that matters right now, is for you to get better."
    "It matters... to me, because I promised to make things better... and now that I'm dying is when I finaly know what dad was missing."
    "What was it?"
      "Self-confidence; dad always told us that if we believed in ourselfe we could do anything we wanted... but he didn't finnished his job, because he forgot to believe in himself... Dad lost his faith in the end... isn't it right?''
      Surprised by his words, she looked at him and then she said "Yes, it's true; you'r father ended up lossing his faith in himself... but he wanted you to know, that he didn't left because he was afraid; he left because he believed that something could change thanks to it... He left because he feared that staying here would get us all in trouble".
      "Why did he thought so?" Oliver asked.
        "Because there were people trying to hurt him, and if they found out that he lost part of his escence, they would come and attack him. That's why your father pretened to go after those 'missing things'..."
        "So he could find himself again and to protect us... right?"
        "Yes, that's right."
        "Mom, why didn't you told me before?" when he said this he started to cry
        "He begged me not to; he thought that if you knew what was happening you would want to go with him."
        "I guess he was right... I'm sorry, mom."
        "Why?"
          "I'm sorry, because now I have to leave you behind... but even so... I want you to know that... now I understand what life is and that no matter where my spirit goes... know that I love you... and my brothers... and I thank you for being the best mother ever."
       
          Some hours latter Oliver looked at the window for the last time and with a tear coming out of his eyes he remembered the snow steps he left behind, all the good memories and the bad ones; then he prayed for one last time on his mind. Ten minutes latter he closed his eyes and with his last whisper he died.

        So I guess at this moment you're wondering what's the meaning of this story, right? What it means is that sometimes we forget what is important for us and we go anywhere else to try to find what we think we're missing, but we don't realized is that most of the answers to our problems are at where we forget to look. Things always happen for a reason, and life is shorter than we think it is; so the best we do is to enjoy the moment to the fullest, don't do what you don't want someone else to do to you and remember that no matter what you do, there is always someone that cares for you more than you think.


So enjoy your day, be happy, but always remember to...

LIVE.



© Copyright 2008 Lily Ivy (ririamu at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1395944-Snow-Steps