*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1451212-Day-Off
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Sci-fi · #1451212
Two gentlemen got into a lot of trouble on their day off.
It was four o' clock when I woke up. It was Saturday morning and I totally forgot that I didn't have to go to work, good thing I was still sleepy. I turned around in my bed, to find my daughter sleeping next to me. That's kind of annoying, she came back from Spain two months ago and for some reason she doesn't want to go to sleep on her room! It's like a dog that has the bad habbit of sleeping on your bed and no matter what you do, he just keeps coming back. Seriously, I don't have problems with it, but sometimes I would really like to stretch myself in the middle of the bed or to sleep naked if I feel like it, but if she's in my bed I can't do any of it... Oh well, I guess that's parenthood for, right? Since at that moment I was too sleepy to wake her up, I just closed my eyes and slept for at least an hour or two before some strange sound woke me up. I checked the clock and it was six thirtee; after it I tried to go back to sleep, but since they kept doing strange sounds I got up I went to the kitchen to get some water. My daughters were there - yes, I got more then one child - both eating breakfast. When they saw me, both smile. "Good morning, dad" said one of them.
"Good morning, girls" I smiled "What are you eating?"
"Some oatmeal, why?" said the other one
"Did you girls left some for me and Alex?"
"Duh! We made so much of it, there's even a plate for Robbie."
"Okay, thanks."
"Nikki made some coffee too."
"Great! I need it."
''What? still sleepy?"
''You know it."
''Jesus! Dad, did you slept last night?'' asked Nikki
''If I say 'Not Really', would you believe me?''
'''Well, that's what you get for staying up all night'' said the other one
"Amy, are you controling my bed timeing?''
"No, you know I'm not."
"What were you doing, by the way?'' asked Nikki
''Non of your bussines."
"Working again?"asked my son, who just entered the room''If Robbie hears that, he'll get stressed out, you know?"
''I don't suppose you'll tell him, would you, Alex?''
''Nah! But then again, you should get more rest; like you have told us over a hundred times: 'It's not healthy to stay up all night'.''
"I know, but I had to finnish that inform and I seriosly want to 'kick off' from work today"
''Playing lazy, I see?'' laugh Amy amused ",that is something you don't see everyday coming out of you."
''Can the sarcassm, Amy''
''Hell no! Always fresh and the best."
"That's it! I'm out off here!"
"Aren't you going to eat your breakfast?"smiled Nikki
"Okay, maybe after that."

After all that talk, I ate my breakfast and head back to my room. A few minutes later I heard a door opening up, and I saw my primogenit coming out of his room. He looked kind of tired.

''Wasn't about time you'd woken up?" I asked
"It's not that late'' he smiled ''It's only eight thirtee in the morning."
"Well, you do have a point. Did you slept well?"
"Yeah, I would have slept a little bit more, though."
"Why do I smell a big 'but' coming up?"
"But I promised Marie to take her out today... Man, what a drag!"
"That's it, no more 'Naruto' for you" when I said this I couldn't stop laughting ''you just acted like 'Shikamaru'."
"Thanks for that, dad."
"You're most welcome, Robbie."
"Don't you have anything to do today?"
"To my luck, no. I finnished my job last night."
"Dad, you didn't happend to stay awake overnight, did you?"
"Guilty as charged."
"Dad!"
"Hey! I didn't wanted to be working on my only day off; that's not my tipe of fun, you know?"
"Whatever you say... just remember to that you're still recovering from a operation, will yah?"
"Don't worry, I wont forget it... wait a minute... what's with the paternal attitude? What are you up to?"
"Moi, up to something? No way! I'm just going out on a date, how could I be after something besides that?"
"I don't know, you know your stuff better than I do... by the way... You and Amy went together to Spain, right?"
"Yep, what's up with that?"

I'll be honest about this, but is particulary rare when I do this kind of questions to any of my children. So I had to think through what I was about to ask him this time; truth is, I wanted to know what happend to Amy on Spain for her not wanting to sleep alone. Apparently, my son read my thoghts perfectly, because he looked at me very seriously and said:

"Dad, I promised Amy that I wouldn't talk about it" said Robbie a little nervous
"Here we go again with the secrets" I said a little annoyed "Is it really 'that' bad?"
"We could say so..."

He didn't told me what happend, because Amy entered the room and looked at us quiet serious. Call me paranocal, but if I see this kind of behavior I know immidiatly that something is up.

"Dad, if you want to know... why didn't you asked me first?" asked Amy
"I thought you wouldn't tell me" I answered looking at her eyes
"Fine, I'll tell you... Robs, can you stay for a few minutes more?"
"Sure, I'll be here until ten thirtee anyway" said Robbie looking very serious
"Okay, can we sit?"she asked
"That is what you call a silly question, don't you think?"I answered, after they sitted on the bed I asked "So, what happend?"
"Do you remember the day we called you, to say that we missed the flight?"
"Yeah, I remember that"
"Well, while we waited for the next flight... I saw some strange figure around the restrooms, as you might have guessed by now, I wanted to find out what was that figure..."
"So, you went after it, right?"
"Right, but what I didn't knew was that it was a ghost that looked like a giant monster..."
"It ate part of her memories'' continued telling Robbie, very worried ''and it threat her saying that it would come and eat what was left of it. It said that it would do it while she slept alone at night."
"That's why I don't want to sleep alone" finnished Amy scared "I don't want the rest of my memories to be taken away from me."

At this time, I was very concerned; I looked at the clock: it was still seven thirtee. After it I looked at both of them, then I stand up.

"So much for my day off" I replyed a little tired
"Dad, what are you going to do?" asked Amy
"What am I going to do you ask? I'm gonna solve this mess."
"What for?"
"Amy, it's not that I don't like you sleeping with me; but seriously, sometimes I do feel like I need to have the whole bed for myself so I can move in it freely... nothing personal, though."
"Don't worry, I understand... but... how are you going to solve this?"
"I got my ways, trust me."
"Anything we can help you with?" asked Robbie
"Not at the moment, but I'll let you know if I need anything" I replied a little tired

After this, I took a shower and once I was ready to go, I let Nikki and Alex know that I was going out. They were quite surprised when they heard this, but didn't said anything about it. Once on the garage, I turned on the car and leftthe avenue; fifteen minutes pased when my cellphone ranged, so I had to turn on my bluetooth headset and answer the call, it was my best friend.

''And here's when I thought that you were working'' I said a little amused



© Copyright 2008 Lily Ivy (ririamu at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1451212-Day-Off