*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1396609-Hate-from-Hope
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #1396609
The Battle for inoocence begins with death.
The chill air caused her skin to prickle and she pulled her riding gear tighter to keep out the cold.  The wind whipped past her face, chaffing it somewhat, causing a permanent sting to throb in her cheeks. I hope we are not too late Coriath.

I highly doubt it, Ellaurah.  The call just came before the sun had risen.  The sun is only slightly showing its light.

Can you tell me anything yet?  Or are we too far away?

There is much confusion and the dragon nest is fiercely protected by two dragons, not just the mother.  I fear that we have found an eternal pair.

An eternal pair!  But that…that…

…will make this impossibly hard.  Also, I believe that Hiryuo is the Dragon on call for this.

That would mean, Coriath, it is Densoro that was called to take care of the rogue dragons.  I haven’t seen Densoro in a long time.

They called in a good fighter to take out the dragons though.  I just don’t understand why it is that only he was called to fight two dragons, Ellaurah.


Their conversation was interrupted by a roar up ahead and Ellaurah urged Coriath to fly faster.  The great dragon pumped her deep golden wings hard, accelerating the already incredible speed at which they were traveling.  Ellaurah held onto the worn leather harness that kept her on the dragon.  Since they could communicate telepathically, there was no need for guiding reigns.  Ellaurah simply had to think a command and Coriath would comply.

They flew over the mountain range, using the air currents to push Coriath up without her having to use much in the way of energy.  Both Ellaurah and Coriath knew she needed all of her strength in the next hour or so.  Another roar sounded and then was joined by a deeper resonant roar.

The pair is together.  We must hurry Coriath else Densoro will be in trouble.

He needs to pull back now that the male has arrived.
  Ellaurah heard Coriath call out to Hiryuo.  He is talking to Densoro now.

Another roar, though not as deep as the first, sounded and Ellaurah could see a small shape retreating from a mountainside up ahead.  Coriath continued to push hard, moving through the air with grace.  The small shape began to grow larger at an accelerated rate until Ellaurah could make out the pale turquoise body of Hiryuo.

Tell Hiryuo to land on the mesa west of us.  There Densoro and I can talk and you and Hiryuo can catch up.

A short pause quieted Ellaurah’s mind before Coriath answered.  Done.  They will head there now.

As Coriath relayed the message, Ellaurah saw Hiryuo veer left and head for the mesa.  Coriath followed suit, veering right and sailed towards the mesa on wind currents.  Coriath landed softly and Ellaurah was once again amazed that such a huge animal could manage to land so delicately.  She folded her golden wings and held up a massive front foot for Ellaurah to step on so that she could dismount.  Once lowered, Ellaurah patted the white hide of her dragon and sent her off to play with Hiryuo.

“Densoro, it has been a while.  How are you?” Ellaurah smiled as she hugged her friend.

“Could be better, I suppose.  I had no idea I was going in to fight an eternal pair.  No one said anything about two of them,” Densoro replied while watching Hiryuo and Coriath.  “The male is enormous, Ellaurah.  I haven’t seen one that large in a long time.  But that isn’t what worries me.”

Ellaurah looked at him quizzically.  “Oh?  That, if anything worries me.”

Densoro saw evidence that there are humans around the nest, Lady Ellaurah.

Hiryuo, good morning to you.  Did you see the same?

Yes, my lady, I did.  I saw the remains of a cooking fire and the residue of fire elsewhere indicating a camp of some sort.


“I find it entertaining that you can hear Hiryuo.  Must come in handy when you have to train the little ones,” Densoro laughed.  “But yeah, I saw the pots and discarded personal items strewn around.  It was bad.  Yet, it seemed that the stuff belonged there.”

“Well, being able to hear all dragons isn’t exactly fun and games, Den.  Sometimes, there are some things I just really don’t want to know about the dragon or its human companion.  And many dragons are very, very talkative,” Ellaurah laughed.  “That is disconcerting news, Densoro.  IF those two dragons are rogue and are tied to humans, not only are we to fight dragons today, but humans as well.”  Ellaurah sighed and walked towards the cliff and looked out over the land below. Why is it that we keep fighting the same fight over and over?

Simply because, my lady, not everyone shares your vision of how the world should be.

Aye, Ellaurah.  Hiryuo speaks the truth.  If all humans and dragons saw the world as you, Densoro and other Dragonsibs, we would not have to be on the hunt so often.


Densoro picked up a large rock from the ground and turned it over in his hands.  “For what it is worth, I agree with what Hiryuo says and what he relayed to me pertaining to Coriath’s opinion. Until people can come to terms with the fact that all they truly need is what is at hand, we will be fighting people and dragons such as these until we die.”  Densoro punctuated his statement by throwing a rock over the edge with all his might.

Ellaurah walked over and stood next to Densoro.  “Shall we, Den?”

“We?  I don’t recall you getting the call,” he teased.

“When there is a nest involved, I am involved whether or not I am called.”  Ellaurah looked at him in fierce defiance and he laughed lightly.

“Like I could stop you, Ellaurah.  Just be careful.  Coriath is fierce but…” A roar overwhelmed the area and Ellaurah grimaced.

I am not weak!  Just because I am not the size of Hiryuo or the others does not mean I am not capable!

“No one said that!” Ellaurah yelled above the roar.

Densoro stood wide-eyed and stared at Coriath.  “I didn’t mean anything, Coriath.  I swear!  I just don’t want to see you hurt.”

Hiryuo looked at Densoro, his read eyes swirling nearly black, and walked over to Coriath.  Spreading one wing to cover Coriath, Hiryuo nudged her with his head and a soft rumble filled the air.

Size has nothing to do with anything, Densoro.

But Hiryuo, I didn’t mean anything.  I just wanted to make sure she was careful.

She hears enough about her size as it is.  If anything, you should have told her that she could have taken on the male with her ferocity.


Ellaurah sighed and looked at Densoro.  “Don’t worry about it, Den.  She has been a bit touchy lately.  We have had a few Dragons pass through No’Bell in the last few months and they have been slightly condescending towards her.  Non-Defender Dragons aren’t exactly as gentlemanly as your Hiryuo.”

Densoro flashed a smile at his Dragon as both he and Ellaurah walked towards their Dragons.  By the look of the sun, an hour had already passed since they had met up on the mesa.  It was now or never.

The male is gone.

Both Ellaurah and Densoro looked at each other.  “If what Hiryuo says is true we need to go now!”  Densoro sprinted for Hiryuo and jumped up onto his Dragons front foot.  Ellaurah did the same and noticed that Coriath seemed to be over the insult from Densoro.  Coriath, closest to the edge, turned from Hiryuo and stepped off the ledge gracefully, spreading her wings out to catch the current.  It whipped her upwards as the sun glinted off her wings.  Densoro shook his head.  Coriath is beautiful.

Yes, and more capable of a ruthlessness that even Ellaurah is unaware of.  I would not cross her if my life depended on it.

Really, Hiryuo?  That is a huge compliment coming from you.

I only speak the truth, heart brother.

******

Both dragons came in low and from behind the steep slope of a neighboring mountain.  The nest was in plain sight, but the female rogue Dragon was not.  Where is she, Coriath?

She is here, Ellaurah, about three dragonlengths to the left around the jutting stone.  She is busy feeding and has not sensed us here.  She is confident.

Obviously, if she is going to leave her nest so exposed.

She is not a good mother.

Aye, dear heart, she is not.  Tell Hiryuo that I need to look to the nest and see if there are eggs to be salvaged.


Coriath helped Ellaurah down as she spoke to Hiryuo.  He says that they will go looking for the male.  I said that was a good use of their time.

Coriath…


Ellaurah crept quietly towards the nest, knowing that the female dragon would be listening for trouble.  Slowly and carefully, Ellaurah climbed the side of the nest and peered into it.  Four Eggs!  By all that is holy, I have never seen a nest of so many Eggs.
******

Hiryuo flew through the skies surrounding the mountain, searching for the male rogue dragon.  Senses alert, he circled peak after peak, in an effort to sniff out the target.

I see nothing, Densoro.  It’s as if he has disappeared into thin air.  I should be able to sense him, even if he was five dragon leagues from our current position and hiding.

I know, Hiryuo.  I don’t like this at all.  I wish Ellaurah was with us, for I have a feeling we are dealing with magic.  She would be able to tell us.

My question is whose magic are we dealing with?

You aren’t suggesting…


Before Densoro could complete the thought, something slammed into Hiryuo’s body hard, sending the dragon flailing through the air and plummeting to the ground.  Densoro held tightly to the harness straps while clamping his legs tight against his dragonsaddle.  Hiryuo’s body twisted violently and nearly collided with the granite cliffs off to the side.  Roaring furiously, the male rogue dragon dove down after the falling dragon, talons extended and razor sharp.  He slashed at Hiryuo’s body, trying to rip the dragon to shreds.

Hiryuo desperately searched for something to help him stop and gain some control over the current situation.  Spying a small outcropping of rocks on the mountain side below, Hiryuo stretched out his great legs and prepared to spread his wings at the last minute.

I know what you are planning, Hiryuo, you could break your wings doing this!

We have no choice, heart brother.  He is a magic wielder and is ridden by a mage.


Densoro flung his gaze up towards and saw the rider for the first time.  Indeed, the woman had a staff in her hand, along with a sword hanging from her side, gleaming in the morning sun. 

Hold on, brother.

Densoro felt his entire body jarred violently as Hiryuo planted his legs into the side of the mountain while simultaneously spreading his wings to stop the fall.  Hiryuo’s entire body shook in pain and Densoro himself could feel his dragon’s pain as his own and cried out.  Somehow, together, Densoro and Hiryuo conquered the fall and Hiryuo’s body lurched upwards.  Conscious of Densoro on his back, he angled the coming impact to avoid crushing his rider. 

Trying to stop in midair, the rogue bugled a frustrated cry and tried to avoid the collision from below.  But he was not fast enough and the impact threw him sideways into the mountain side.  The impact loosened fragments of rock and snow drifts from the mountain and they came crashing down onto the dragon and his rider.  The rogue screamed as it was washed from Densoro’s and Hiryuo’s sight.  They watched as the great beast fell further and further towards the ground below.

Back to Ellaurah and Coriath, Hiryuo.

Indeed, heart brother, back to them and the female.
******

Quickly Ellaurah, she is coming!


Ellaurah scrambled down the side of the nest and snuck back to Coriath’s spot.  She could see the great green beast coming back towards the nest and realized just how large the female was.  Eyes wide, Ellaurah felt slightly sick as she watched the Dragon sniff at the nest and the whip her head around.  The rogue Dragon’s black eyes searched the clifftop and she bellowed in rage.  Ellaurah heard her curse and challenge and it shook down into her soul.

Without warning, Coriath roared an answer to the challenge and there was nothing Ellaurah could do but watch.  Coriath jumped into the air, pumping her winged hard to gain altitude and then dove at the rogue at full speed, ramming her from the side in surprise.  The rogue yelled out in frustration and whipped her large spiked tail at Coriath.  Nimbly, Coriath moved to avoid the brunt of the swipe; the tail only caught her on the hind leg.  Dark ichor ran down from the wound, but Coriath didn’t take notice.

Coriath reared up on her hind legs and pushed her body forward, great foreclaws ready to strike.  As her body came down, it slammed into the female and she raked her claws across the rogue’s body.  They tore into the Dragon’s flesh and she screamed in pain as the ichor gushed from the wounds.  Swiveling her head around, her great jaws parted enough to bite hard into Coriath’s shoulder, and the Dragon pulled away, trying to rip the flesh from Coriath’s bone. 

Coriath, using her entire weight, rammed the dragon with her shoulder and an audible crack was heard as the jaw of the rogue broke.  Clamped her jaws around the neck of the Dragon, she bit hard, splintering bone.  The rogue tried once to get away but Coriath held fast, biting down harder the more the rogue struggled. 

A deep bellowing broke the silence from the sky.  Spiraling down at top speed was the male rogue dragon, his violet eyes whirling black.  He slammed into Coriath, sending her skidding across the rocky clifftop and crashing into the wall of granite behind her.  Ellaurah ran towards Coriath, but stopped short, terrified for her Dragon.  The male called out his attack, lunging for Coriath while the female got to her feet and limped towards the male.  A wide gash spread across Coriath’s flank and the male clawed her again.  Though Ellaurah could feel her Dragon’s immense pain, Coriath did not utter sound. 

Defiantly, she glared at the male and head butted him, jabbing his neck with her horns.  The female rogue roared and tail lashed Coriath.  The spikes on her tail sunk deep into Coriath’s flank and Ellaurah watched her dragon nearly bend in half sideways to lock jaws around the beast’s neck for the second time.  Coriath jerked her head violently and an audible snap resounded through the mountains.  The male reared back and brought a taloned claw across Coriath’s face, causing her head to collide with the mountainside.
******

Densoro, Dragonhead Blade drawn, rounded a corner, engaged in battle with a swordsman of foreign skill.  He jabbed his sword at the fighter’s right leg; the swordsman blocked the move easily.  The foreigner arched his curved blade over his head and brought it crashing down towards Densoro’s head.  Quickly, Densoro met the attack full on and pushed the man back with his sword.  Densoro slashed, turned quickly and jabbed at his stomach.  He deflected Densoro’s attack, but not enough.  The Dragonhead Blade ripped through the adversary’s armor, slicing a deep gash into his side.  The man dropped to one knee, calling out to his companion.

Atop the rogue Dragon, the mage turned towards the fight.  While her Dragon took care of the small female, she mustered a large ball of darkness and hurled it at Densoro.  The attack hit him full in the back and he fell forward.  Ellaurah, angered by her dragon’s anguish and fear for Densoro, curled her fists into tight balls that began to glow brightly.  Screaming with everything she had within her, she sent a double bolt of energy towards the male rogue and he turned in anger, skin charred and blackened.  Coriath took advantage of the distraction and bite down into the male’s front leg, ripping flesh and muscle.  Quickly, Ellaurah aimed another well formed ball of energy at the mage, but missed as the mage slid down the hide of her dragon.

The male dragon attacked Coriath again, this time ramming his entire body up against hers, pinning her to the granite wall.  He pushed hard and Ellaurah could feel the pain it caused and Coriath’s inability growing inability to breathe.  Ellaurah aimed another attack at the rogue, but before she could release the mage hit her with a darkness wave that threw her backwards and against the nest.  On impact she heard a crunch from within and pain shot through her back and chest.  Finding her breath short and painful she watched the mage head towards Densoro, arms out to the side and another wave attack forming in front of her.
******

From behind Ellaurah the pounding of wings sent dust whipping across skin and Ellaurah stood slowly clutching her chest.  Hiryuo swept over Ellaurah at an angle and crashed into the male rogue, sending him sprawling towards the cliff’s edge.  The might of the turquoise dragon caught the rogue off-guard and it scrabbled for a hold on the rocks as he was pushed farther and farther towards the edge. 

With a roar, Hiryuo bit down on the rogue’s wing and shook his mighty head, snapping the bone beneath.  The male cried out on pain and, with a shove from Hiryuo, fell over the side.  Hiryuo followed him down, screaming in anger.  Hiryuo slashed and hacked with all that he had at the rogue as they both plummeted towards the ground.  The rogue screamed, though weakly, as he tried to fight back, but it was apparent that Hiryuo was in control and the rogue’s minutes were numbered. 

Seeing the ground coming up fast, Hiryuo folded his wings, diving into the rogue with all his might and speed, pulling up at the last minute and watched the impact of the rogue on the ground.  The crash reverberated through the mountain side and minutes later, laboring but smug, Hiryuo appeared and flew over to Coriath. 
******

The foreigner stood and held his sword before him, daring Densoro to continue.  Still feeling the effects of the darkness attack form the mage, Densoro brought his sword forward, jabbed and feinted to the left and the foreigner took the bait.  As the foreigner moved to defend, Densoro pulled his sword back and slashed sideways, catching the man in the side.  He then thrust his sword into the foreigner’s stomach and kicked him over the edge. 

Densoro turned to check on Ellaurah and was felt the impact of a well aimed punch in the face.  Stumbling backwards, he saw the mage standing before him, black magic stretched out in front of her.  As she pulled her arms back to send the dark wave into Densoro, Ellaurah sent what little she had left in the form of an energy strike at the mages back.  The attack hit the mage, throwing her off balanced and Densoro thrust his sword deep into her chest.  The mage looked up at him and dropped to her knees, body slowly sliding off of the sword, and fell face down onto the granite clifftop.
******

Ellaurah is hurt badly, Densoro.  Coriath says that she has a few ribs broken and it is hard for her to breathe.

Thank you, Hiryuo.  How is Coriath?

Brave, strong and true.  She will need assistance flying so I will send out a call to the Dragon relay for help.  She is very worried about Ellaurah.  She is afraid.  I have sent an emergency call for a healer for Ellaurah.


Densoro stopped in his tracks.  Dragons are afraid on only one thing: losing their human companions.  He looked at Coriath and saw the fear in her eyes and sprinted towards Ellaurah.  She sat, leaning against the nest, pale and slick with sweat.  He breathing was labored and Densoro himself began to fear.  “Ellaurah?”

She looked up and he followed her gaze to Coriath.  “She will be fine.  Hiryuo says that she will be just fine once she has a better place to rest.”  He smiled weakly and looked down at her.  Sinking to his knees, he touched her shoulder.  “How bad is it, Ellaurah?”

She wheezed, “Bad, Densoro.  I know I have broken ribs, but I can’t breathe fully.  Only short breaths, but they are not enough.”

“I have to check, you know I do.”  Ellaurah nodded and removed her riding jacket with Densoro’s help.  She winced as she pulled up her shirt to the middle of her ribcage.  Densoro saw the blackening area that wrapped from her chest to her back.  And he could see it growing.

She is bleeding internally, Hiryuo.

The magic attack that hit her was felt even by me down below as I fought the male rogue.  She was hit much too hard.  Coriath says that the blast sent her crashing into the nest.


Densoro looked up at the nest, its branches and rocks haphazardly stacked and cemented together by the female dragon’s own breath.  He swallowed hard and looked Ellaurah in the eyes.  “Hiryuo sent word for help.  A healer is on the way.”

“Thanks.  The nest, Densoro.  Is it…” Ellaurah tried to finish the question, but the pain was too much.  She coughed and tears flowed down her cheeks.

“Here, hold on.” he said and wrapped his arms around her waist.  He gently lifted her up and helped her look over the edge of the nest.  The Eggs were intact, though one rocked violently.  After a few moments, the Egg split and out rolled a newly hatched Dragonet, black body and silver wings gleaming in the sun.  It mewed up at her and struggled to walk towards Ellaurah.

Ellaurah felt hot tears spill down her cheeks as she reached out to touch the first born of its nest, though it sent excruciating pain through her whole body.  But it didn’t matter.  Baby dragons imprinted the first person they saw, taking on attributes of that person.  Ellaurah had to, no matter the cost, give the baby dragon something good to imprint.

I am Soluna.
© Copyright 2008 Devynne Brooke (eukara at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1396609-Hate-from-Hope